• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

safety

1. B

Learning from Saddle Hunting Accidents

Greetings Saddle Hunters. I'm a new member but not a saddle hunter yet. I'm 61 years old and in decent shape. I love my Summit Viper but am getting tired of hauling it and all my gear into the woods. I don't see this getting any easier as I age. I want to try saddle hunting while I am young...
  2. DGF

SOLD! Black Diamond BOD Harness, Large, $30 TYD

SOLD! For Sale: Black Diamond BOD Harness, Size Large. I purchased this new late last fall with plans to switch to a rock climbing harness this year and decided to go a different route. Never used, only tried on. It packs quite small. $30 To your door, CONUS Thanks for looking, -Dan
  3. LoadedLimbs

Product Safety Recall - DMM Brand Carabiners with integral swivel

Just released from DMM earlier today (November 2, 2022) there is a PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL on their compact swivel units that are integral to a variety of their carabiners and mini-swivels. Apparently, the swivel assembly can unscrew and disconnect under certain circumstances. DMM is instructing...
  4. W

New Cruzr XC bridge prusik damaged?

I just got my Cruzr XC saddle last week. My second time practicing in the backyard, I noticed one of the Prusik knot ropes attaching the Amsteel bridge to the saddle itself looks frayed/cut. Anyone have any thoughts on this being damage as opposed to the way it’s manufactured/designed? Some seem...
  5. TNbowhunter

Recall on X-Stands

https://www.startribune.com/lakeville-company-recalls-treestands-after-2-users-fall-break-bones/572979482/ Just saw this article about a recall on X-Stands and figured I'd pass it along here in case anyone is using one. Here's the link to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission website with...
  6. mn_booner

Saddle Safety (Fraying/Threads coming loose)

I have an Aerohunter Kestrel Flex that I got last year. The manufacturer date is 8/9/19. I only used it for one weekend last year, other than that it has just been sitting in storage. It appears to have quite a bit of fraying and some of the threads where the bridge loops connect to the saddle...
  7. DanielB89

"Test at ground level"

I have seen this phrase multiple times when someone is trying to reinvent the wheel, or just make the wheel better. To be honest, I don't think we use it in a way that accurately and efficiently tests the important aspects of our equipment. It is definitely a good concept, but, do we actually...
  8. Y

I fell... Should I check my gear?

I'm new and was practicing with my mantis and WEI Stepps on Sunday. I was maybe 10ft up trying to adjust my lineman's belt to get me closer to the tree, using both hands. I lost my balance and rolled to my right, bear hugged onto the tree and slid down maybe 2ft before my lineman's caught on one...
  9. S

Thinking about adding an Etrier to my climbing method but concerned about safety.

I've been thinking about adding an etrier to my current climbing method as opposed to a standard aider for my Wild Edge Steps to shave a little pack space and weight. Any climbing method aiders sound great to me from a standpoint of shaving weight and pack space, but I'd rather not sacrifice...
  10. Slingpredator06

Climbing system failure

A buddy of mine took a fall this morning. As he was climbing up to his hang on stand a folding step on a very popular climbing stick failed causing it to rotate straight down. (Item is not under recall) This caused him to lose his balance falling to the right while hanging on to the top steps...
Back