• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

17 hmr

gumby

Anyone suppressed a 17 hmr, did it make it quite enough to justify the trouble and cost? One more does the $200 dollar tax go to the Pittman-Roberson act?

No comment on the .17 HMR suppression, but, if you go that route it’s worth looking into doing a Form 1 as opposed to buying commercial. There’s some very affordable options out there.
You may have already had that in mind tho!

Anyone suppressed a 17 hmr, did it make it quite enough to justify the trouble and cost? One more does the $200 dollar tax go to the Pittman-Roberson act?

I don't have a 17 yet, still looking for a 17 barrel for my 455 so I can swap it back and forth with the 22. Most of the rimfire cans work with 22 and 17 so to me with was worth it. I can't say enough good things about my Rugged Oculus. All in with suppressor, stamp, trust, etc it was close to 650, but the joy it brings is so worth it. I love taking new shooters out with it, their face when they shoot it for the first time, is crazy, and when they try it on the 455 bolt action and the firing pin is louder than the shot, is absolutely priceless.

As for the 200 going to PR, I don't know but I HIGHLY doubt that's where it goes, that would be too logical yeah?

I know you're looking at a second barrel for your 455 - but if you're contemplating reloading, consider the .22 Hornet and .17 Hornet, as well as the K-Hornet and AI variations.

People shoot undersized rounds through cans all the time. A .308 can suppresses a .223 fine, even if it's a bit louder than a .223 can, and I've seen 9mm cans marketed as a solution for .223 and 300BLK as well as .380 Magnum. Perhaps your local NFA shop can give you a personal demonstration?

I know you're looking at a second barrel for your 455 - but if you're contemplating reloading, consider the .22 Hornet and .17 Hornet, as well as the K-Hornet and AI variations.

People shoot undersized rounds through cans all the time. A .308 can suppresses a .223 fine, even if it's a bit louder than a .223 can, and I've seen 9mm cans marketed as a solution for .223 and 300BLK as well as .380 Magnum. Perhaps your local NFA shop can give you a personal demonstration?

I'm contemplating another can, it would be the Rugged Obsidian 45, there are several videos of it shooting 22 and others nearly as quiet as a dedicated 22 can, but would still be able to handle my .450.

Depending on what other rifles or rifle calibers you own, you could consider building a suppressor for multiple rifle uses. :)
I went with Form 1 and was approved in 16 days. I built it for my 243, but use it on my 22-250 too. If I owned a 17 HMR, it could be used for that rifle as well.
As for cutting the noise, any reduction is a good thing. I'm running my reloads at 3700 fps with a 55 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet, out of my 22-250. It sounds like a 22 short, but muffled or like breaking an air chuck off of an air compressor.
It works great when shooting at 2 or 3 coyotes at the same time. They hear it, but they're not sure where it came from and often run at you or only a short distance, before taking a second shot. :cool:

I'll let you know how well it suppresses, when my rifle gets here. I ordered a Savage B17 with a laminated stock, but it hasn't arrived, yet. :rolleyes: I'll be using the same suppressor as I use for my 22-250, so it should be considerably quieter. Should make an excellent groundhog rifle, especially around buildings and barns. (factory photo) I'm installing a Vortex 4-12x40 on it. Can't wait for it to get here. :cool:
17-1.jpg

I really like that Savage B series, it reminds me of the Model 25 and the Walking Varminter. Looks like a re-designed stock on it too.

I dont believe the stamp for the suppresor goes to PR.. However, I think there is an excise tax on the suppressor itself. which does go to PR.

Back