• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1st Saddle Deer

AaronRo

Hello all,
I spent this spring and summer getting ready for and dreaming about getting in the saddle. Got my mantis mid September and practiced up. I learned a lot from reading on this site and watching YouTube

I was fortunate to get a doe opening day of archery from my pit blind (because not having much time to practice, I didn’t feel comfortable getting the saddle set up in the dark yet... and ground hunting is a blast.)

From then on, I was dedicated to trying to get one in the saddle. I have learned so much in one short bow season and still have a long way to go. One thing I can say is I am addicted. I sat a tree stand we have one day and kept thinking “I wish I was in my saddle.”

Anyway, last week I was in a new spot we had been seeing deer. Because of the saddle I was able to get in there easily and quietly. Had 2 deer less than 10yds who never saw me, not to mention a bunch of turkeys.

When this guy came by at 8yds I was able to silently and smoothly turn and shoot directly behind me (which I could not typically do in a tree stand.) And I watched him go down at 60yds. What a blessing. And I’m hooked on saddle hunting.

Thanks to all who share their experiences and knowledge on here.

6CF764A9-1BC0-470C-B123-B962223AAFB8.jpeg

31058E73-E6D4-45CA-B232-001F06CF7FEE.jpeg

Back