• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2022 Fishing Thread

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Don't think this has been started yet.

I was beating around town yesterday evening and got to thinking about some old retention ponds my dad built in a commercial area about 15 years ago. Figured I'd check to see if they held fish. Oh boy...
Screenshot_20220428-093733_Gallery.jpg

Flathead Candy!! rigged a little split shot rig and went to work like Gepetto in the whale. 10 minutes and I was done.

Screenshot_20220428-093724_Gallery.jpg

Kinda small, but good enough for limb lines. Went home, had dinner, and picked up my first mate. She's really embraced life as a river rat and ran the tiller while I set some lines in the mouth of a little lake that dumps into the big river.

After a good night's sleep and some coffee, I rode her back out and put her to work hauling fish.

Screenshot_20220428-093711_Gallery.jpg

25.6lbs. Her personal best flatty! Filled a 5 gallon bucket about halfway up with pretty little catfish nuggets. I don't usually eat fish that big, but I committed to a fish fry next weekend and it's been kinda slow. Hard to find shad and the bluegill bite just turned on here.

I've also been fooling with minnow traps. For the curious, vinyl coated expanded metal traps are dookie. Gee's galvanized hardware cloth traps will catch every fish that'll fit the throat within a 5 mile radius. I set it last night and caught 2 dozen of the smallest green sunfish(?) I've ever seen.

Screenshot_20220428-093657_Gallery.jpg

Again, for the curious, the net is a neat little thing Engels makes to go in their coolers. Handiest little livewell/coolers in the world. Wish I'd have bought one 10 years ago.

Amos and I have caught a few bass.

Screenshot_20220428-093907_Gallery.jpg

And I'm teaching the BIL how to catch fish and eat steak rare.

Screenshot_20220428-093841_Gallery.jpg

Some days on the water are crappier than others. ;)

Screenshot_20220428-093932_Gallery.jpg

And sometimes your wife shows you up. She caught her personal best today, and I caught my personal worst last week.

Screenshot_20220428-093944_Gallery.jpg

Let's see some fishin' pics!

Last edited:
Gimme a few more days for 2022 pics! Snakeheads are movin upstream as i type.

Flatheads are the only catfish i find palatable. Goldfish and Suckers (creek chub) work the best around me for blues and flatheads. I'll catch em 10:1 with those compared to bluegill/sunfish

These arent from this year and i would never keep one :mask:... but we get some nice ones in D.C.caty.jpg316436_742723224968_155572621_n.jpg

Nice work!

Baby #3 arrived last Friday and has pretty well wrecked my fishing season as most of my fishing is 3-5 hours away on the great lakes and that far away is a no-go for another month or two.

Been chasing some pelletheads around here with my little dude. Panfish should be firing up here soon, I still need to get the boat ready so we can switch to edible fish. I don't get too motivated for C&R.

Capture.PNG

Caught a decent chunk bass on lunch break yesterday....I haven't had a chance to get out on the river since winter but we'll be getting out there really soon.. Pompano are on the beach right now so they take precedence

Caught a decent chunk bass on lunch break yesterday....I haven't had a chance to get out on the river since winter but we'll be getting out there really soon.. Pompano are on the beach right now so they take precedence
Pompano fight harder lb for lb than most fish in the ocean. Top 5 favorite fish to catch.

Caught some catfish bait a couple weeks ago but haven’t been able to get back out for the catfish yet
54a4fb2afaac5ffe01955d70eb0565e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My families favorite fish to eat....

Diy climbi....I mean fish stick....if only I could make my hunt sticks nest together this well...

View attachment 65047View attachment 65048
There is definitely a market now for "high end" extra stout rod holders. I know. I spent too much on the ones on my boat for reasons that now elude me.

Catfishing has become quite the thing now. In my area traditionally it's something you do with set lines or slat traps while you fish for bass or crappie. It would blow some of these old timers minds to know there are boat manufacturers offering specialized catfish boats and selling $200 catfish rods.

I bet you could sell a Weldabeast XXL rod holder, especially if you offered it in good ole slime green...something about green and orange makes catfishermen spend money...

There is definitely a market now for "high end" extra stout rod holders. I know. I spent too much on the ones on my boat for reasons that now elude me.

Catfishing has become quite the thing now. In my area traditionally it's something you do with set lines or slat traps while you fish for bass or crappie. It would blow some of these old timers minds to know there are boat manufacturers offering specialized catfish boats and selling $200 catfish rods.
The academy outdoor store sells ready to fish catfish combos for hundreds like u are talking about.... Crazy

Been a slow and cold spring so far. Got this nice eating size pike a couple weeks ago. He hung with me in the livewell for about an hour until my wife texted asking "How about that craft brewery with the amazing chicken thigh sandwiches for dinner?"

I looked at my boat guest and said "It's your lucky day pal", and back he went.
7e4ee4dc7605853e269d55bcc2834f24.jpg

No there are like 5 or 6 fishing knots everyone needs to know, the rest are just attention seeking devices.

Same as saddle hunting lol.

Agreed.

I "snell" circle hooks with a knotless knot and use a figure 8 on a bite or an improved clinch knot for everything else. I've never wanted or needed anything else. But I'm simple minded.

U guys don't tie ur own dropper loops.....alpine butterfly, double surgeons loop, and uni knot are all I use pretty much.....

No there are like 5 or 6 fishing knots everyone needs to know, the rest are just attention seeking devices.

Same as saddle hunting lol.
I just made a list of the fishing knots I use every year and it came to 12. Never knew I was such a showoff. Seriously though, when you start using lines other than mono your knot inventory starts to climb.

I just made a list of the fishing knots I use every year and it came to 12. Never knew I was such a showoff. Seriously though, when you start using lines other than mono your knot inventory starts to climb.

I have to google the albright knot every year since I switched mostly to braid. Ok maybe not anymore but I did a good few years.

Yeah I was just throwing a number out there, but let's list it:

1) Improved clinch - almost every terminal knot. If you overthink this one, god bless you.

2) Snell (is that really a knot?)

3) Dropshot hooks (no idea what its properly called)

4) Overhand/figure 8 for loops

5) Albright (braid to leader)

6) Uni for rare mono to mono

7) Rapala (I have to google when I am missing a split ring)

Back