• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2023 Fishing Thread

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Taking the boat today to get the merc serviced before the spring crowd backs up my mechanic. Probably riding up the road tomorrow to take my wife to a stocked lake to grill and catch a few sunfish. Really looking forward to this year. The 1436 is SOOOOO close to being just right for my wife and I to fish out of, and she likes to go as much or more as I do.

I don't have fish pics yet, but I gots me a question...

I'm trying to buy more "lifetime" reels after getting 3 swedish-made ambassadeurs. I'm currently looking at the zebco 33 models since they're sized about right for the bobber fishing my wife and I do so much of. Does anybody know much about the old US-made models? I see a lot of them on ebay for reasonable prices. Can you still get parts and will the build quality be significantly better than the new ones? Anything to look for/avoid? Or would zebco aficionados recommend the newer "premium" models they make like the omega and bullet?

Bonus points for cool pics of old reels, with or without fish in the frame.

man, ive caught a bazzilion fish on a zebco 33. sorry no pics . i prefer a nice open face now for cork fishin.

Do adults actually use zebcos? Is that some kind of ironic-hipster vibe?
If you're taking somebody fishing who doesn't fish a lot or who hasn't fished before, it's nice to be able to hand them a zebco.

If you're fishing on a creek bank and making...creative...casts in thick bushes, it's nice to have a zebco.

If you're like me and absolutely hate operating a spinning bail but wanna throw a 1/16th oz jighead, it's nice to have a zebco.

If your sister married an insufferable weenie who got into fishing 6 months ago and now wants to tell you all about how to catch fish, it's nice to have a zebco.

Part of it is ironic-hipster vibes. Part of it is the design has its perks.

Seems like there's another "family friendly Nutter contest" in all this panfish interest. If so, I'm in!

Oh wait...aren't we supposed to be reducing the suffering of things with brains & nerves?

Can I attach a pod to my hook to improve my bite--to-harvest ratio?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Seems like there's another "family friendly Nutter contest" in all this panfish interest. If so, I'm in!

Oh wait...aren't we supposed to be reducing the suffering of things with brains & nerves?

Can I attach a pod to my hook to improve my bite--to-harvest ratio?

For the fish to count in the contest, you have to be wearing your saddle when you reel them in...

For wimmen folk and metro sexuals, I would stick to the trigger operated spinning reels and treat them as disposable. Usually get 2-3 years out of one before they start acting wonky. If you are going to be serious, get a good open face spinning reel.
I'm not sure how gender or sexual orientation pertains to the conversation, but my dad and i have been buying and trashing Shakespeare fastfire reels for decades. I'll keep doing it if I can't find something more suitable.

It pertains to ease of use for folks that are not experienced with open faced spinning reels or baitcasters. Hold the trigger and flick the wrist is easy to explain, demonstrate and for newbs to put into practice. My wife refuses to fish with anything other than a spinning reel but it has to be a trigger model.

For the guys that run jugs/noodles how do you store them. Here’s an idea for you to store them. After some adjustments I can hold 32. Nice neat and easy to store 3B8E500B-3D1F-48A7-8345-B7693DE0FCD1.jpegE2C34DE7-99BB-40E4-86C5-E852D895276C.jpeg

Nice! I drilled my first holes Sunday but given the limited ice locations had no takers. Such a tough start in my area. Hoping this week's cold snap expands the opportunities and I can add rather than only subtract from my freezer. Tight lines!

Taking the boat today to get the merc serviced before the spring crowd backs up my mechanic. Probably riding up the road tomorrow to take my wife to a stocked lake to grill and catch a few sunfish. Really looking forward to this year. The 1436 is SOOOOO close to being just right for my wife and I to fish out of, and she likes to go as much or more as I do.

I don't have fish pics yet, but I gots me a question...

I'm trying to buy more "lifetime" reels after getting 3 swedish-made ambassadeurs. I'm currently looking at the zebco 33 models since they're sized about right for the bobber fishing my wife and I do so much of. Does anybody know much about the old US-made models? I see a lot of them on ebay for reasonable prices. Can you still get parts and will the build quality be significantly better than the new ones? Anything to look for/avoid? Or would zebco aficionados recommend the newer "premium" models they make like the omega and bullet?

Bonus points for cool pics of old reels, with or without fish in the frame.

If you get the solid metal ones, they are a good choice as 'forever' reels so long as you get a couple set of parts. There isn't much to go wrong on them but you'll need a couple spare bail pins (the parts that hold the line), a couple rubber gaskets, maybe a spring for under the button. I'm talking about the model pictured below (which is being called the vintage one) but in the standard 33 there isn't a lot of difference between them. The 33 classic has a lot more grey plastic. The Rhino tough are a bit bigger. Otherwise the classic 33 is pretty much unchanged for a long period of time.

1675175917830.png

If you get the solid metal ones, they are a good choice as 'forever' reels so long as you get a couple set of parts. There isn't much to go wrong on them but you'll need a couple spare bail pins (the parts that hold the line), a couple rubber gaskets, maybe a spring for under the button. I'm talking about the model pictured below (which is being called the vintage one) but in the standard 33 there isn't a lot of difference between them. The 33 classic has a lot more grey plastic. The Rhino tough are a bit bigger. Otherwise the classic 33 is pretty much unchanged for a long period of time.

View attachment 80944
So I've jumped waaaay down the rabbit hole the past few days looking at vintage 33s. I've about made up my mind to buy a few of the 50s-60s models with the brass instead of steel gears, but I have a question.

On the older models, do you know if they've always been ambidextrous? Can you swap the handle to the left side on the one shown?

Back