• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2023 Hunt Plans?

Camelcluch

SH Member
Where is everyone planning to hunt in 2023?
Tag season is a busy one for some and I’m in deep.
Will apply in Colorado for elk, deer, antelope and maybe Mtn lion.
New Mexico elk.
Nevada elk.
Kentucky elk.
Kansas deer.
Already put in for Wyoming and Arizona elk.
Anything I should look at or missed?
Edit for Co Moose draw.

Last edited:
Makes me realize how lucky I am having a good friend who lives in CO. Glad I don’t have to do the who point system stuff

Well I just had a baby girl about 10 days ago and my buddy in CO just had his little girl so my out of state this yr isn’t going to happen

I’ll stay in PA this yr and hammer the turkeys and deer. It’ll be a little different with 2 kids but I have a rockstar wife who lets me hunt quite a bit.

Good luck to all this yr and safe hunting!!

I live in Colorado and points are necessary. Always get points!

I live in Maryland so... Plan to hunt deer in Maryland next year. I've given a few halfhearted attempts to learning and playing the points game out west, but keep getting discouraged by reading about points creep so currently have 0 points anywhere. I should have just bought the gohunt app/points info thing.

I am hoping my plans to go back to Alaska include a spring bear hunt, but there's a pretty good chance it'll "just" be a fishing trip. a salmon/halibut/dungeness crab trip is freaking awesome, so I have a hard time phrasing it that way.
Edit: spring black bear trip is cancelled, September blacktail /possible brown bear trip booked. May go fishing in July as well. second edit 5/31: fishing trip confirmed!

And I may have an invitation to hunt pronghorn in Colorado on a family friend's ranch. What I've just said is basically all I know, so that's a long shot (see what I did there? Lol)

In the spirit of you miss every shot you don't take, if you've got a spot available on a future hunt and are willing to take a risk on a saddlehunter.com stranger, I'm game and would of course pay my way/carry my weight/ not burn your spots/all that good stuff. Pretty unlikely that this post results in a new hunting partner but there it is anyway. I'd reciprocate as much as possible, full disclosure that currently the Alaska and Colorado aren't my trips to share currently but I'm building up knowledge and will have some trips that I lead/would be willing to invite someone new on as well in a few years.

Last edited:
Gonna expand my horizons this year and try turkey an duck hunting. Never once thought about em before 2023. My brother talked me into giving duck hunting a try later this year. The place i hunt deer has a good bit of turkey on it, so i figured why not.
Better be careful with that duck hunting. You get into them and deer hunting will quickly fall by the wayside. If you get a chance to duck hunt, learn to call. That doubles the fun. Good Luck!

Make sure to get a point here. The new structure will probably make it a bit harder for non resident and having the points will help.

Make sure to get a point here. The new structure will probably make it a bit harder for non resident and having the points will help.
The unit I hunt went to a draw in 2020 and it has not been a problem to draw with 0 so far. That cow tag increase will probably shed a few NR folks too. It doesnt make sense for me to buy a point in a unit I can draw at 0 and I have no plans to go to different unit because that trip is also vacay for the wife too and we have a great place to stay or for here to stay if I decide to backpack in somewhere, so I am sorta tied to that unit. If I have to start buying points I will to draw there and will just hunt every 2 or 3 years I guess and work in whitetail trips to other places in the off years.

Nothing crazy, try to draw out for state hunts. Elk, turkey, and a special trad bow deer hunt on the ammo plant in McAllister.

If I tag out at home on turkey I'll make another run to kansas to try and kill one up there.

Better be careful with that duck hunting. You get into them and deer hunting will quickly fall by the wayside. If you get a chance to duck hunt, learn to call. That doubles the fun. Good Luck!
Haha yeah thats what my brother told me. He's big into duck hunting. Not gonna lie, deer hunting is my first love. Already saving my one week of vacation from work for the rut

Back