• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

30-30 help me decide

Dmathews87

Ive wanted a lever action 30-30 for awhile and i have found a few in my area. Here's the dilemma...i really want the winchester 94. I'm obsessed with it, its an American legend but all my buddies are saying get the marlin its the better gun and has the side eject for easier scope mounting. Where i hunt, very rarely can i even see clearly 100 yards and i was intending on using the iron sights anyway....so guys chime in, is the marlin the better of the lever actions? am i crazy for only wanting to use open sights?

I have both, a marlin 336 and two Winchester 94’s. My 336 is scoped even though most of my shots are inside 75 yards. My eyes are getting older and the scope helps a bunch. My winchesters are both iron sights. I’ve considered a peep on one of the 94’s but haven’t pulled the trigger. If I had to pick one, strictly for hunting and nothing else, I’d go with the Marlin and a scope. The scope is easier to mount on the marlin and gives you and edge on shot placement and low light.

I have a well used post-64. The action isn't tight and awe inspiring but it functions flawlessly. If you go with open sights ditch the Buckhorns and get a Williams peep with fiber front sight.

I have a well used post-64. The action isn't tight and awe inspiring but it functions flawlessly. If you go with open sights ditch the Buckhorns and get a Williams peep with fiber front sight.
What he said!

I'd go with the Winchester. I had one when I was a kid and like a fool traded it off.

Are you trying to kill deer or tickle a fancy and project a certain image while killing a deer? Not that there is anything wrong with the latter, I love carrying my grandpaps old '94 around. But there's a reason I have a good scope on my killing gun.

valid point lol. It needs to kill deer....and\or hogs

The scope is a big help too since you will want to sight in for different ammo. I found the stock sights on most lever guns are not good with modern ammo speeds. Could just be me though.

Marlin (Ruger) is releasing a new 336 30-30 soon with threaded barrel. I’m excited to see how it does compared to the older Marlin.

Also, please know there is a difference in Marlin quality with the originals (JM stamp barrel) and the marlins made by Remington
What he said too! Definitely make sure it’s a JM stamped rifle. Dont rule out a .35 Remington 336 if you can find one. I’ve been carrying a Remington 141 in .35 all season.

Killed a lot of deer with this Marlin 30-30, including a doe this morning. I think I paid $350 for it about 20 years ago, best money I’ve ever spent on a gun. Would definitely get the see through scope rings, shot more than a few of those deer with the iron sights.
8BCF71E4-9B11-4CC2-9804-BD366598CE41.jpeg

surprised i took this many posts... why not both?

if there's a reason not to then... i'd suggest you buy what you want to shoot instead of what your buddies want you to shoot. let them pull their own triggers. you'll still be obsessed with the winchester if you get the marlin.

wait i changed my mind, get the marlin, so that way you evntually wind up with both after you keep obsessing over the winchester.

Ive wanted a lever action 30-30 for awhile and i have found a few in my area. Here's the dilemma...i really want the winchester 94. I'm obsessed with it, its an American legend but all my buddies are saying get the marlin its the better gun and has the side eject for easier scope mounting. Where i hunt, very rarely can i even see clearly 100 yards and i was intending on using the iron sights anyway....so guys chime in, is the marlin the better of the lever actions? am i crazy for only wanting to use open sights?

I wouldn't mind a good peep sight for 100 yards and in but no way I'd hunt with a V notch. They are just too easy to not shoot well in the moment of truth.

My dad has a winchester with the side mounted scope and that thing is horribly inaccurate. I'm a decent shot (can routinely shoot 1 inch groups with an accurate scoped bolt action off a bench) and that winchester shoots maybe 6 inch groups for me at best. A scoped revolver would shoot circles around it. My uncle has a marlin that he likes.

7e3149cfe034d57eb35586b7f5e4d9df.jpg

My Dad, both my kids, and myself have all killed deer with this old 336. I have both rifles and 99 out of 100 times I’d choose the Marlin. The only thing replaced since it was new is an extractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Marlin is the ticket if you have to have a scope. Be advised that the Remington built ones can be garbage, been there and done that.

The Winchester is lighter and slimmer and really shines with open sights.

Personally, I'd avoid the see-thru mounts. I've pulled off a half dozen sets and threw them in the trash over the years. They put the scope up too high on a rifle with an already low comb, and the mounts are usually dinky and flimsy. Plus you lose the wide open field of view with the iron sights, since you're looking through a tube anyway. They suck, and I cant see how anybody would setup a gun like that on purpose.

Do a scope or open sights, but pick one. If you go with a scope, keep it 4-6X or less and you'll keep all the advantages of the open sights and be able to mount the scope low enough to be somewhat ergonomic.

For open sights I much appreciate a good peep sight mounted on the receiver. It gives a longer sight radius, and are almost always more accurate than standard irons. Most all the Marlins are drilled for them, and some of the 94s are too. And they even use the same part number from Williams.

Myself I have a Marlin from 1993. Mine is a 444SS in .444 Marlin but it uses the same action as the 336 .30-30. It's built well and is a great gun to carry through the woods. I run a peep sight on mine and it suits my needs well.

Are you trying to kill deer or tickle a fancy and project a certain image while killing a deer? Not that there is anything wrong with the latter, I love carrying my grandpaps old '94 around. But there's a reason I have a good scope on my killing gun.

33C16369-0B38-4D6C-9D90-1C0413B76858.jpeg

OR

5770BDE0-C43B-4FDF-8909-FDFE30603D24.jpeg

Back