• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

40 lb longbow 575 gr arrows

7bru

Hey friends
I thought i would try a longbow for a few hunts this year.

I bought a blackhunter longbow in 40lbs in july. Just a riot to shoot. I tried several different arrows and really liked a 2315 gamegetter with 150 gr 2 blade magnus stinger.
A few things about the setup i would like to improve or change after hunting a few times.
Shooting off the shelf works great.

I hate quivers that aren't removable.
I hate quivers that you carry in a backpack.

I really had great results with a fixed crawl but the bow is very loud with 400 gr arrows.

Shooting with the Heavier 575 gr arrows bow is quiet and the fixed crawl just works out great for point on at 23 yds.
So i must ask if i should get an ILF rig so i can shoot faster arrows quietly

7bru

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
40 lbs is enough - I've killed one buck and a hog with around 42 lbs with no problems. Just make sure you take close broadside shots and you will be fine.

I do think the 2315 arrow is way over spined(maybe depending on your arrow length though) which will affect arrow flight and possibly penetration...Have you tried bare shafting? Lots of info on youtube about it....The main thing is it will be obvious if your arrows are as overspined as I think they are...

Your Point on range is perfect for hunting....

Full length on the arrows. They fly great. They just really slow.

Last edited:
I shot a deer where I couldn't see the body. I just arced it over the brush, mortar style, for the kill. The arc is an advantage at times.

I shot a fixed crawl with the black hunter my first trad season. It worked well but I agree it is loud with added vibration compared to typical three under. If you want to stick with the fixed crawl and get a more quiet bow, than an ILF rig is the way to go unless you can get a bowyer to tiller you a one piece bow for your fixed crawl. I switched to shooting three under with a very high anchor and that is working for me and I can shoot any bow now quietly.

As far as quivers go check out Big Jim's Quivers. They come on and off really easy and work great. They run around $70 after shipping.

If you want to try ILF for cheap here is a link to a few products. I have never tried this combination but I might in the future. $250 total ILF longbow build and cheaper if you want to use cheap ILF limbs. This will have a similar grip to your black hunter but it will be two inches longer overall. (62") The riser is from china so expect lengthy shipping times. Best of luck in you Trad journey.

I shot a deer where I couldn't see the body. I just arced it over the brush, mortar style, for the kill. The arc is an advantage at times.
I guess i have underestimated the reactikn time of a deer with a noisy bow. Sounds very quiet to me. I guess im deaf. It did make shooting in the yard very enjoyable.

Last edited:
I shot a fixed crawl with the black hunter my first trad season. It worked well but I agree it is loud with added vibration compared to typical three under. If you want to stick with the fixed crawl and get a more quiet bow, than an ILF rig is the way to go unless you can get a bowyer to tiller you a one piece bow for your fixed crawl. I switched to shooting three under with a very high anchor and that is working for me and I can shoot any bow now quietly.

As far as quivers go check out Big Jim's Quivers. They come on and off really easy and work great. They run around $70 after shipping.

If you want to try ILF for cheap here is a link to a few products. I have never tried this combination but I might in the future. $250 total ILF longbow build and cheaper if you want to use cheap ILF limbs. This will have a similar grip to your black hunter but it will be two inches longer overall. (62") The riser is from china so expect lengthy shipping times. Best of luck in you Trad journey.

Thats very good deal. Im thinking a metal riser so i can use a compound style quiver.
Hoyt satori is a lot of coin. But it should be good. Tbow is a clone.

Back