• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

66" longbow and saddle hunting

Jeremy Holden

Is it me or does it seem more difficult with a longer bow out of a saddle? I have a 58" longbow that I've killed with out of my saddle. I'd love to take my 66" longbow and wood arrows out this fall. But man, it seems like that extra 8" is going to make things more difficult. Anyone have any tips/advice for a "longer" longbow out of a saddle? Thanks!

-Jeremy

Been thinking about this very thing for 2 days. I hunted last year with a 68” recurve a few times. It was enough to keep it in the back of mind that bow handling is going to have to be different somehow.

I hunt with 64 and 66” hill style long bows and wood arrows. I lower my tether and shorten my bridge and use a ring or steps with no problem.

Attachments

• CAD1C2BE-82E1-4E53-B652-023888B79AD4.jpeg
    CAD1C2BE-82E1-4E53-B652-023888B79AD4.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 90
  • CE6EAEB7-84B5-4201-90B6-59097BCEA24D.jpeg
    CE6EAEB7-84B5-4201-90B6-59097BCEA24D.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DE8642A8-35FF-4153-842D-44EB5B202C23.jpeg
    DE8642A8-35FF-4153-842D-44EB5B202C23.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 89
  • D3ADC371-37F4-4E4B-8706-19E82290E383.jpeg
    D3ADC371-37F4-4E4B-8706-19E82290E383.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 87
  • BED140FE-F496-4FD6-86FB-126F2355A28A.jpeg
    BED140FE-F496-4FD6-86FB-126F2355A28A.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 83
This is good to hear. I have a 68 inch Hill style longbow and plan to have it in the saddle this fall. I also like wood arrows.

Shooting with a longer bow can be overcome out of saddles and tree stands. I had a Summit Viper that I used for years and with a couple mods the bar became an advantage shooting longer bows.

The one thing I have noticed on this forum is the sometimes “genius” things people have done to adapt their equipment to their hunting styles. It might be something as simple as lowering your tether and adjusting your bridge as stated earlier.

What’s a 66” bows strung length? 62? I shoot 56” and 60” out of the saddle without issue.

OK, I just went out and did a quick practice session out of my Recon sling from my backyard saddle tree at about 12 feet up. I placed 3 shotgun hulls at different positions relative to me at different ranges. I think this is a good way to do it. I climbed up, took my Northern Mist Longbow, 68" 56# @ 28 inches and let some wood arrows fly. Here are the results. I'm pretty happy so far. I need to set up some really obtuse shots thought. The circle shows my resting position in the saddle at 12 o'clock.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 12  .jpg
    12 .jpg
    557 KB · Views: 71
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 71
The dreaded weak side shot. I swung around to the left to the back of the tree and weaved this arrow through a gap between two trees for this one out to 22 yards at my 2 o'clock. I'm pretty happy with that but it could be better.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 47
When compounds started getting shorter bow length was a topic for discussion, debate and selling point.
It was said that tree stand hunting was so hard with those old long bows. As they got shorter, the old God sent bows were now the dogs of yesterday.
That had some truth in that if you left a branch over head Travis, it will be exactly in your way when the shot comes. For the aware this was not a problem.

Now let me say that shooting a 68" longbow out of a tree stand certainty had more to consider than out of a saddle as you are drawing the limbs toward the tre
e and also have to account for the lower limb hitting the stand.

I shoot 66" recurves and occasionally a 68" longbow and my experience and personal opinion is I would rather shoot longer bows out of a saddle every time.

You can do it but like anything you have to be aware of where your limbs are. I find it more difficult from a saddle than my lock on so if I saddle I take my 54” recurve.

I hunt with 64 and 66” hill style long bows and wood arrows. I lower my tether and shorten my bridge and use a ring or steps with no problem.
I have a thethrd mantis, one of the originals. I'm not confident enough to remove my bridge and weave an adjustable one. How do you adjust your bridge?

OK, I just went out and did a quick practice session out of my Recon sling from my backyard saddle tree at about 12 feet up. I placed 3 shotgun hulls at different positions relative to me at different ranges. I think this is a good way to do it. I climbed up, took my Northern Mist Longbow, 68" 56# @ 28 inches and let some wood arrows fly. Here are the results. I'm pretty happy so far. I need to set up some really obtuse shots thought. The circle shows my resting position in the saddle at 12 o'clock.
WELL DONE!! I also shoot northern mist bows!!

I used a 70” Herters longbow last year. Didn’t kill anything but really didn’t have much issue with it maneuvering around. You just can’t be up between branches like you would with a short bow. I can’t imaging using a hang on or ladder with a longbow, the bottom limb would be in the way every time.

I use a Northern Mist 68" American 55# @ 28", hunting out of my saddle. I harvested 3 deer this year from it and two squirrels (lucky). Just as others have said have to be aware. I personally think that it is easier than hunting out of a stand as one person said with limbs hitting.
In the off season, take doubt out. When I started saddle hunting had been longbow hunting for 20 years already. I set up just off ground level and practiced with moving and shooting with the saddle, until I was confident. Then I went to some legal public ground with judo points, set up and took some shots from elevated positions. I learned a lot, got the "kinks" worked out before the season so was physically and mentally more prepared.

Back