• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

6oz climbing method that works!

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
So, using Tethrds concept of a full bury 1/4 inch amsteel and 3/16 amsteel prusik. I made this fella. It's a 9ft full bury "tether"if you will, and a 3/16 amsteel aider that both feel fit in. I buried 12 inches on either side of the amsteel continuous loop and that is the prussik. You put your saddle tether as high as possible, put the aider tether at chest level and adjust the prusik a bit less than knee high. Stand up and adjust your saddle tether up, lean back, straddle the tree and move the aider tether up. Rinse and repeat. With some practice, like everything else, this could be a great climbing method under 6oz. And your always tethered! I tried it tonight and it's actually very doable. I'm gonna video it tomorrow.
Could also be a great lightweight tool for self rescue.
8efd82ea18a7b5ac63adc1714d24d000.jpg
4ac896a6b798288b5ba4e95445923708.jpg
b19bb6609128f4a5a7db1ec57ea5e051.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very cool, I love the stuff everyone comes up with on this site! Look forward to checking out the video. Zip tie in the Amsteel to keep the aider open?

Since you’re only using one leg to climb why not cinch that bad boy down on your foot? This keeps you from having to fiddle with the aider opening and makes it automatic to set the aider at knee height.

Maybe even two loops to ensure it doesn’t come off your foot; one around your arch and the other around the top of your ankle.

Since you’re only using one leg to climb why not cinch that bad boy down on your foot? This keeps you from having to fiddle with the aider opening and makes it automatic to set the aider at knee height.

Maybe even two loops to ensure it doesn’t come off your foot; one around your arch and the other around the top of your ankle.
I actually found it easiest to put both feet in the loop. Then seperate the toes to "V" the tree. Heels on the boots hold the aider in place well.

I do this same thing except I use the black and orange suspension relief strap that comes with treestands! What you have is much,much lighter than mine great idea!! Mine is for emergencies only do not use them primarily and honestly don't know why!!!

Last edited:

That is a great idea! Im a little unstable with a 1ft, but some of the younger folks or less stability challenged folks could work with that for sure

Can’t wait to see the video. I’ve tried this before but using Oplux, Kong Duck and a climbing sling as the aider. I didn’t feel very stable, but maybe I didn’t give it a fair shot.

I’ve been tinkering with similar stuff off and on for some time. I just haven’t gotten it to the point where it beats out one sticking for me but I may test out your idea just to see. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been tinkering with similar stuff off and on for some time. I just haven’t gotten it to the point where it beats out one sticking for me but I may test out your idea just to see. Good job!

Ive played around with versions. I think the key is the longer aider tether. A bonus with the Amsteel is that the girth hitch doesnt bind up making it much easier to move up as you go. Let me know what you come up with.

Seems like a pretty awesome concept! I may have to give it a shot. I look forward to seeing the video

Definitely a weight saver

Looking forward to the video

How hard is it to break that Amstel Prussic free after standing on it. If it’s easy, couldn’t you raise your tether as high as possible and then raise the aider right under it. Get a few step ups out of the aider by sliding the Prussic up before you have to slide the girth hitched aider and tether up as high as you can again? Or is that what you are already doing?

How hard is it to break that Amstel Prussic free after standing on it. If it’s easy, couldn’t you raise your tether as high as possible and then raise the aider right under it. Get a few step ups out of the aider by sliding the Prussic up before you have to slide the girth hitched aider and tether up as high as you can again? Or is that what you are already doing?
Its actaully pretty easy to break. One of @g2outdoors original release videos for the Phantom show that breaking the prussik in the middle makes it pretty easy to adjust. It does work.

I did try and use this method when playing with it yesterday, but it was a pain to adjust the prusik cause I had to take my feet out each time, pull up the tether, adjust te knot and put feet back in. By having the knot fixed, that wasnt a problem. It is nice to have it adjustable though, for going around branches and to make those little adjustments as needed.

It looks like you will move up about 13 inches per reset with the 6 oz method. Why do you need the Prusik?

My SRT leg strap, girth hitched to one foot.

It looks like you will move up about 13 inches per reset with the 6 oz method. Why do you need the Prusik?

My SRT leg strap, girth hitched to one foot.
I want the aider at the exact same place each time, regardless of the tree diameter for consistency. The girth hitch allows for that. Also, when passing branches, its inevitable that I will need to move the foot placement.

I think I can get 18" per set, but that needs to be established. My first go around last night was just proof of concept.

This makes me want to try this with a ropeman and as a double step in bottom as you're doing here.

I think the ropeman would allow movement up the rope much much easier than the prussic.

Just an observation: I think you could get the same result with a small step and a multi step aider one sticking. The biggest difference would be the slight addition of the weight of the stick. The benefit would be able to cover 3-4 times the distance with a single stick movement.

Then repel down as you've been doing and you've got an incredibly efficient system there!

Back