• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

870 20 gauge

Ckwilli

SH Member
I purchased an 870 compact Jr for my kids several years ago. My idea was that they could duck and deer hunt with it. They’ve since decided they like my marlin 336 for deer and aren’t changing their minds. My son does use the 870 for ducks. The compact jr has an adjustable stock with an 18.5” rem choke barrel. My idea was, as they grow, I’d buy a longer barrel. Now with Remington defunct barrels seem to be harder to find. Im watching some eBay and gunbroker auctions but not having much success. The best laid plans I suppose.

Theres a company on gunbroker, called gunbusters, who sell parts of firearms that have been destroyed by court order for the most part. As many 870s are in circulation I imagine there will eventually be an 870 parts kit come through there from them that may include a barrel you like. From what I've seen online Remarms will continue producing the 870 but they are building a new facility in GA so it may be a year or two before supply catches up to demand.

I still use my 1100 20 youth model when hunting public during gun season. Lightweight, quick pull when driving deer, and as accurate as can be.

I still use my 1100 20 youth model when hunting public during gun season. Lightweight, quick pull when driving deer, and as accurate as can be.
I’ve got a 1100 light 20 and even an old model 58. They only shoot 2 3/4” shells however. My son is pretty well stocked with 3” steel for ducks or I’d certainly use one of those.

Theres a company on gunbroker, called gunbusters, who sell parts of firearms that have been destroyed by court order for the most part. As many 870s are in circulation I imagine there will eventually be an 870 parts kit come through there from them that may include a barrel you like. From what I've seen online Remarms will continue producing the 870 but they are building a new facility in GA so it may be a year or two before supply catches up to demand.
Thanks, I’ll look them up

I’ve got a 1100 light 20 and even an old model 58. They only shoot 2 3/4” shells however. My son is pretty well stocked with 3” steel for ducks or I’d certainly use one of those.

Yep, i'm exactly the opposite, dad and I have been buying 2 3/4" whenever we find it on sale.

Good luck!

I had my Daughters 20 ga. 870 Express in the gun safe for years and a couple years ago I decided to turn it into a slug gun. A Rem. thumb hole stock, Rem. candilever rifled barrel, Timney trigger fix and a Nikon SG scope. Its deadly with accutip 2 3/4's. Glad I did it then, but parts are still out there.

Back