• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

8mm Oplux questions & uses

Tapeworm

SH Member
I couldn’t find all my answers by searching & was gonna text @kyler1945 for a lot of the following questions but figured I’d put it out there for everyone so others could benefit as well

So I’ve been planning on using 9mm UltraTech or HTP for tether & LB along with Ropeman1 on each

Was leaning towards UltraTech in order to test out the multiple splice options available with it

I had seen some 8mm ropes used but didn’t want to use Ropeman 2’s

Now some sexy 8mm Oplux is strutting all around this place & DanO has it easily available

It’s strength & compactness is tantalizing

So some questions are:
-What have u used 8mm Oplux for? (tether,LB,srt,, rappel, stick rope mods, etc)

-Has anyone used a Ropeman2 with it & how does rope sheath hold up to R2 teeth?

-What other ascenders have u used with Oplux 8mm ? (I’d like easy adjustability on my tether & LB)

-I know prusiks are lighter & have been used, so what brands & sizes have worked good? (I’ve seen Beal Jammy 5.5 35cm mentioned by @kyler1945 )

-Is there a one-handed method for using a prusik ? ( I know this isn’t specific to this rope exclusively, just wondering)

-Has anyone had a splice put in it & if so, what type?

-Weight comparisons to tethers, LBs, or other uses of larger rope diameters?

-Is it stiff enough to use for LB without being floppy?

-Anything you want to add regarding 8mm Oplux?

**Thanks in advance if u had the patience to read all of this and answer anything **

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used it, but I did order some from wild edge. They have it available with a sewn eye. Its meant to be used as a tether and thats how I plan to use it. Also ordered a 5.5 35cm beal jammy per kyler1945's post. I did my research still and am comfortable with this system.

If anyone has an easy way to work a prusik knot without making the system super complicated or a lot bulkier I'm all ears.

I would use the Kong Duck if you are going to be using a 8mm rope with a mechanical ascender.

I'm a huge fan of Dano. But Wild edge offers a sewn eye oplux which could save you a knot

I just ordered a prusik tender from Dano. Hope this makes it possible to make one handed adjustments. Really like to hear more about this from people that have tried it.

I have 8mm Oplux for my adjustable bridge on my Kestrel. I am using 6mm Sterling prussic cord.

@Arrowsquirrel
I am testing the double clip prussic tender I got from DanO on my lineman belt and it is super easy to adjust 1 handed.

I have 8mm Oplux for my adjustable bridge on my Kestrel. I am using 6mm Sterling prussic cord.

@Arrowsquirrel
I am testing the double clip prussic tender I got from DanO on my lineman belt and it is super easy to adjust 1 handed.

I saw that thing on his website but I wasn't sure how it worked. Do you clip it in with your prusik and then onto your line? Got any pics of how you got it set up?

I saw that thing on his website but I wasn't sure how it worked. Do you clip it in with your prusik and then onto your line? Got any pics of how you got it set up?
It clips to your carabiner and to the rope below the prusik knot so that when you pull on the tag end it forces the prusik knot up the rope.

I am switching to it this year. I use ropeman 2, I think it will be fine as far as wear is concerned. A lot of garbage info out there... Not tearing up ropes with the 2 is partly the rope and a lot technique. You have to loosen the tension a bit before you disengage the cam completely. Use your thumb on the camming part, don't use the wire loop.

I've never used it, but I did order some from wild edge. They have it available with a sewn eye. Its meant to be used as a tether and thats how I plan to use it. Also ordered a 5.5 35cm beal jammy per kyler1945's post. I did my research still and am comfortable with this system.

If anyone has an easy way to work a prusik knot without making the system super complicated or a lot bulkier I'm all ears.

Thanks for the sewn eye source

I am switching to it this year. I use ropeman 2, I think it will be fine as far as wear is concerned. A lot of garbage info out there... Not tearing up ropes with the 2 is partly the rope and a lot technique. You have to loosen the tension a bit before you disengage the cam completely. Use your thumb on the camming part, don't use the wire loop.

I agree that a lot of the snagging is most likely from rushing and not fully releasing

Good advice on using ur thumb

@Arrowsquirrel

If it’s that easy then I don’t mind running prusiks since they’re lighter , more compact and quieter

Thanks guys

This is all good info

I just saw in the Sterling Hollowblock thread that it doesn’t grab good with Oplux

Just some experience, I found that the Hollowblock did not play with Sterling Oplux at all when tied in French Prusik (aka autoblock) manner. I may be wrong and correct me if I am, but autoblock refers to how that piece is used below your ATC and not necessarily what hitch is used. Meaning, a person could use a prusik or french prusik hitch for their autoblock? If that is the case in my testing the Hollowblock did not grab the Oplux at all using a french prusik no matter how many or few wraps I used. I did not test a standard prusik hitch as I wasn't sure you should use that hitch as an autoblock. I have ordered a Beal Jammy and will test it out.

Last edited:
As you can see from the pic of the adjustable bridge, Figure 8 knots with Oplux are pretty dang small as far as knots go.

Get you a few prusik tenders from doublesteps.com. There are a few threads on here about how to use various hitch tenders, but they’re about $43 cheaper than a ropeman and “no bulk” ;) as long as you lighten the load on the knot as you work the tag end, it’s pretty much the same as a RM ascender.

I use a shizll rope slider as a tender for a distel hitch on both of my ropes.

They are more expensive than these cheap tenders everyone is using, but they are a lot less clunk and keep everything neat and tight.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=2076

The knots don’t take up hardly any room. And I think they will pack neater than the long sewn portion. I’m running a kong on lineman’s belt and a beak jammys on bridge and tether.. I’d like to try a tender on jammys to see if I can live with it and eliminate the kong.

I also run two carabiners on bridge and pass it through tether like nutters one piece webbing bridge and tether.
89b643ef90635456103820f1eba83665.jpg
14c535354ce3d734c893e657425f39d5.jpg

I would use the Kong Duck if you are going to be using a 8mm rope with a mechanical ascender.

I'm a huge fan of Dano. But Wild edge offers a sewn eye oplux which could save you a knot

I just ordered a prusik tender from Dano. Hope this makes it possible to make one handed adjustments. Really like to hear more about this from people that have tried it.
I'm running the aero prusik adjuster n my Samson predator tether... It works great!!! I'm sure DanO's tender will work the same

I run oplux for my tether and linesman belt when I use one. I pair it with a Kong duck. I honestly prefer a ropeman 1 over a duck but I like oplux so much I can live with using a duck. It's so compact and convenient to use.

I’ve used oplux for everything now for awhile. What I found was best for me was taking aBeal Jammy 5.5mm 35cm and cut it into a straight piece of rope. I then tied a halyard hitch to my tether beiner, then just a simple Blake’s hitch on the oplux. It grabs really well and reliable for me.

Definstely interested in trying it for a tether and an adjustable rope bridge with Beal jammys. The flex with that bridge setup is just about that much too bulky.

Back