• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

9 year old - 1st buck / 1st saddle deer

MtnCrk

My 9 year old wanted to saddle hunt today. Put him up above an existing ladder stand to use as an easy platform and intro to saddle hunting. Just had him in a RC harness.
My plan was to get in a tree 30 yards away still in whisper distance. I was standing on my last stick facing away from him when he shot his first buck!!
He will probably be a saddle hunter for life after his 20 minute “first sit”.
The last 2 seasons I have put him in a stand and I have been in a saddle above him. He has taken a couple does before but I don’t think he will forget his first buck and saddle hunt.
16B37779-1A9C-4408-9885-3BFB6424DB33.jpeg8158A4B0-42BA-493F-A3B8-7638DDCCE584.jpeg

Congrats to you and your son! I’m anxious to get my first kill from a saddle but will have to wait until next season. Post like these make the wait exciting.

That is awesome. How many # does he shoot at that age?
I started archery around that age if i remember right,just targets though.

That's awesome I remember both of my twins first bucks and it is a special occasion for you and your son enjoy it!!! A perfect memory for life!!!

Thanks everyone.
He got his first doe at age 7. I sat with him for days and I finally told a friend that he had to sit with him because I wanted to hunt at least once during the year.
He shot his first doe during that hunt without me, he must have been determined to keep me from hunting that year because when I heard him shoot I got down and went over to be there.
last year he made a great shot on a doe from a hang on stand while I was above him in a saddle. I videoed that one with an iPhone
Those were Alabama deer the one yesterday was in NW GA.
He is shooting a 7-08 single shot
He has taken a bow in the woods a couple times but I have put a 20 yard restriction on him with that because his group spreads out a little after 20 and he is not really pulling enough draw weight yet to compensate for deer ducking an arrow or nerves. Last thing I want is for him to fail because he was not shooting a fast enough bow or shooting too far and wound a deer.
Yesterday’s hunt he had his 7-08
We plan to do a DIY European skull mount with it and hopefully he will have fun learning in the process doing it.
Saddle hunting is absolutely the safest way to introduce kids to hunting other than sitting in a box blind. He clips into trees in the yard on a tether and moves around with ease. I guess weighing 80 lbs helps with that.
Hopefully we will have more success stories to follow

Amen!! Keep up the great work DAD!! The more of the next generation we get in the woods, the brighter the future will be!!

Great Job.. I enjoy sharing the woods thru the eyes of a youngster. Its great watching them absorb everything.

Back