• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A question for you trad hunters

Gumbymedic

So, I've begun building arrows for my Bear Montana longbow and, being a new-b to the traditional world, I have a question.
First some info: I have two arrows, one 400 spine @ 31 1/8", the other a 480 spine @ 28 7/8". My draw length is 26.5". I am running 175gn inserts w/ 25gn footer and 125 gn points and I want to stick with this setup. Both bare shafts are flying great at their respective lengths. The question is which one to choose? I am leaning toward the 480 because it's shorter and, when I switch to broadheads, it will be even longer than it is now. Is there a reason to go with the already long 400 besides having a heavier inherent gpi? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20200416_190253.jpg
    20200416_190253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200416_190317.jpg
    20200416_190317.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 18
What poundage is the bow? I’m a similar draw about half inch shorter. I’m currently shooting a 500 spine cut to 27 1/2 with 350 up front. The bow is about 46-47 pounds at 26 inch draw. They shoot perfect.

The longer arrow will give you a closer point on distance - I shoot longer arrows because it helps me achieve a 25 yard point on which I like for 3D and hunting....

It's funny that I think I can help here because I am just starting to hunt with my Samick, this turkey season will be my first foray into the field with trad equipment. But here goes. I'd go with the slightly longer and stiffer shaft. I would always shoot the stiffest shaft I could get to tune with as much length for possible future adjustment. Put the weight you want to shoot on and full length it should shoot weak, then trim it down till it's in tune. If it's shooting good at that length go with the stiffer shaft. Alright you guys how'd I do?

It's funny that I think I can help here because I am just starting to hunt with my Samick, this turkey season will be my first foray into the field with trad equipment. But here goes. I'd go with the slightly longer and stiffer shaft. I would always shoot the stiffest shaft I could get to tune with as much length for possible future adjustment. Put the weight you want to shoot on and full length it should shoot weak, then trim it down till it's in tune. If it's shooting good at that length go with the stiffer shaft. Alright you guys how'd I do?
I like what you guys are saying. My only issue with the 400 spine is that it's already over 31". Add to that a 3" broadhead and now there's a whole lot of arrow sticking out the front especially with a 26.5" draw. I might just have to up the point weight to shorten it all at least a little bit.

I'm with everyone else. If they shoot great go for it. If it seems too long, cut it and try again. I have the same bow in 60# and shoot Easton XX75s 300/2317 spine cut to 29". I'm unsure of the insert weight but shoot 150gr. Woodsman broadheads with it. It passes completely through a whitetail and shoots darts. I set the arrows up years ago before I knew less than I do now but it seems to work for me. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't overthink it too much. I have a practice broadhead and if it shoots well and penetrates decent in my broadhead target I take it hunting with me.

Oh good. I love dilemmas like this.

Everything said so far sounds right to me.

Here is my take:

Both are demonstrably flying well. So you have a good tune with 2 different shafts. That’s nothing to sneeze at, and sometimes hard to achieve.

The long 400’s are going to have more GPI probably, plus they are longer. Total arrow mass will be higher. Good for penetration, bad for speed/trajectory.

The inverse is true for the 480’s, comparatively.

The actual difference in speed/trajectory might be slight, almost imperceivable. But more mass is always good for peace of mind when it comes to penetration.

So just based on that, I’d go with the heavier ones.

What longbowwally said is also correct. If you are using your arrow tip to aim with (and I believe you are regardless unless you have a sight) then arrow length will affect your point on distance. Not a bad thing, could be a good thing. You’ll have to figure that one out.

Recommend you use a bright aluminum footer or collar behind your insert as your visual reference for aiming. Or white tape. Then when you go from field tips to broadheads the change in actual length doesn’t change your sight picture (and point of impact. . .)

As for having a bunch of arrow hanging out past your riser at full draw? I’m not certain that actually affects anything, but the sight of it does make one ask “that can’t be right, can it?”

I dont find broadhead length and size affecting my sight picture.
Most people benefit from longer shaft from a point on perspective but with a shorter draw you may prefer the other.
If you are shooting split finger then not so much..

Thanks for all the responses and good advice. Based on all of your input, I ordered the 400 shafts. I saw the value in having the heavier shaft as well as being able to go up in point weight in the future. Also, my point-on distance ended up being 30 yds. so that's a bonus. I may try to raise my nocking point to get it to 25 but, overall I'm happy with the 400s.

The lighter the shaft per inch, the easier it is to increase FOC.
I'm amazed at how much difference building out the strike plate makes.
It only takes a thin piece of "something" (not even toothpick thickness) to stiffen a weak spine. I experimented with a few different thickness materials and even 20 thousandths made my arrows shoot stiff.

Back