• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

About ready to call it quits

Matki15

Well this season has been a tough one so far. Between wounding what would’ve been my first bow buck, and then having a doe duck my arrow I was frustrated enough. But I decided I would stick with the bow and try to get another chance. I bought some new arrows, with heavier heads to help quiet the bow down a little, and to increase penetration. Started to sight them in today and they were shooting great. When I decided to move the target to 30 yards, the arrow was low. WAY low. I figured something had happened but didn’t know what until I pulled back the bow for another shot. The bow wouldn’t draw all the way back. Turns out, a pin that helps hold my draw length module has disappeared, so now I’m waiting to hear if my bow shop can find a replacement module. If not, guess I’ll be buying a new bow. Definitely my worst deer season so far

Sorry to hear that. The secondary rut should start ramping up soon in my area. I hope you can get your bow and your head back in the game. Harvesting deer with a bow is hard, but you can do it. And when you do, the trials of getting it done will become small.

So sorry your having a rough season. In 18 seasons of bowhunting I have had 3 or 4 seasons that were really rough. All I can tell you is that if you stick with it you will be rewarded and it will be worth it. The bad seasons are hard to get through but they actually make the good times even sweeter. Keep your head up and good luck!

@Matki15 similar season here friend. Stick with it. We'll both pull it all together for a harvest before the year ends.

In terms of a bow... if yours can't be repaired, take a serious look at a PRIME.

@Matki15 similar season here friend. Stick with it. We'll both pull it all together for a harvest before the year ends.

In terms of a bow... if yours can't be repaired, take a serious look at a PRIME.
I hope so, seen lots of deer in bow range but they’ve all been too small (antler restrictions where I hunt). As for bows, the prime bows look great but are out of my price range. Going to have to do some bargain hunting for sure

Well this season has been a tough one so far. Between wounding what would’ve been my first bow buck, and then having a doe duck my arrow I was frustrated enough. But I decided I would stick with the bow and try to get another chance. I bought some new arrows, with heavier heads to help quiet the bow down a little, and to increase penetration. Started to sight them in today and they were shooting great. When I decided to move the target to 30 yards, the arrow was low. WAY low. I figured something had happened but didn’t know what until I pulled back the bow for another shot. The bow wouldn’t draw all the way back. Turns out, a pin that helps hold my draw length module has disappeared, so now I’m waiting to hear if my bow shop can find a replacement module. If not, guess I’ll be buying a new bow. Definitely my worst deer season so far
Hang in there, doesn’t sound like your bow probs are serious (or at least not permanent) sometimes it goes like that. But I can tell you it’s worth the adrenaline dump & satisfaction when it does. Judge your season based on what lessons you learned & experiences you had & it will be great every year ( even when it’s tough)!!

the difference between a crappy season and a great one can change in a 90 second encounter. and that minute and a half can happen anytime you are out there. Never forget that.
Trying not to forget that, so far that thought is the only thing even making me want to consider getting back in a tree

Hang in there, doesn’t sound like your bow probs are serious (or at least not permanent) sometimes it goes like that. But I can tell you it’s worth the adrenaline dump & satisfaction when it does. Judge your season based on what lessons you learned & experiences you had & it will be great every year ( even when it’s tough)!!
I hope it’s not too serious, I’m already dealing with a truck that likes to break down every other day. Running out of money!

good.

I am in the valley myself. It's been a rough season for me this year. I've got to stay focused on the next peak and keep grinding it out. Headed for the next peak.

Back