• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

about the Ropeman 1

martian

I want to make a trip to REI, to sniff around, I would like some rope to make a new linesmen belt, and a new teather. I want some tub webbing and maybe a ropeman 1. Now, here is the question. If you were going to buy a ropeman1, would it be for your belt, or teather? The reason I ask, is I can see how the R1 is convenient, for constantly adjusting the belt as you climb, but a prussic is not really that bad, as there has been no pressure on it to tighten it much. My teather has a prussic, well, after sitting in it for 3-4 hours, that knot is so tight it is very hard to get loose, or, do you guys just get 2?

I want to make a trip to REI, to sniff around, I would like some rope to make a new linesmen belt, and a new teather. I want some tub webbing and maybe a ropeman 1. Now, here is the question. If you were going to buy a ropeman1, would it be for your belt, or teather? The reason I ask, is I can see how the R1 is convenient, for constantly adjusting the belt as you climb, but a prussic is not really that bad, as there has been no pressure on it to tighten it much. My teather has a prussic, well, after sitting in it for 3-4 hours, that knot is so tight it is very hard to get loose, or, do you guys just get 2?

I am planning to get a second rope man 1 for the very reason you just said. The knots are ok but in my experience they’re either too tight when you want to loosen them or they don’t get tight enough when you want them tight unless you hold yourself up and pull on it to get it to cinch up. I like the idea of just using one on both tether and lineman’s rope. I think using it on a lineman’s rope is a must. I’ll never go back to a prusic for that at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using a tender? That helped me tremendously. Same motion as a mechanical device to break after loading.

A different friction hitch might help as well. Recently tried the distel and am really liking it.

Ropeman 1's are ascender's. They are not designed to capture your arrest in a fall...and they have broken with only 4kN. That is only 900lbs of force. I'm 200lbs and if I fell 2-4 feet that would generate well over 900lbs. I sold all three of my RM1's...and went to climb rated friction hitches with a tender behind it. On my bridge, I use the friction hitch from Aero hunter as it is 18kn (4050lbs) and on my Linemans belt as well. On my tether I have a 8mm cordage that is rated for 20kN (4500lbs). I do use the Oplux rope as my rappel rope/tether now with the HRT cordage that is also rated for 4000lbs. It is a personal choice, but I do not trust my life on a device that breaks at 900lbs. While it would work on the LB...I just decided to switch to all rope friction hitches. I tie my friction hitches into a swabisch hitch.

Ropeman 1's are ascender's. They are not designed to capture your arrest in a fall...and they have broken with only 4kN. That is only 900lbs of force. I'm 200lbs and if I fell 2-4 feet that would generate well over 900lbs. I sold all three of my RM1's...and went to climb rated friction hitches with a tender behind it. On my bridge, I use the friction hitch from Aero hunter as it is 18kn (4050lbs) and on my Linemans belt as well. On my tether I have a 8mm cordage that is rated for 20kN (4500lbs). I do use the Oplux rope as my rappel rope/tether now with the HRT cordage that is also rated for 4000lbs. It is a personal choice, but I do not trust my life on a device that breaks at 900lbs. While it would work on the LB...I just decided to switch to all rope friction hitches. I tie my friction hitches into a swabisch hitch.

Yikes I didn’t know that about the ropeman. Maybe I’ll just stick with the knot then too and only use it on the LB.

If you switch to the distel or scwabisch hitch then it can be moved one hand with a tender behind it. Almost as easy as the ropeman1...almost. However the peace of mind of walking back to my truck and not having my diaper changed by my 14, 12 year old sons and wife is much easier to rationalize peace of mind over easy/dangerous.

If you switch to the distel or scwabisch hitch then it can be moved one hand with a tender behind it. Almost as easy as the ropeman1...almost. However the peace of mind of walking back to my truck and not having my diaper changed by my 14, 12 year old sons and wife is much easier to rationalize peace of mind over easy/dangerous.

Nice. I’ve never heard of those. Just looked at them and I’m a fan. I’ll be trying one of those for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Could you put up a link for those knots and tenders. I’m curious as how they look and work.

This is the distal hitch and seems to work about the smoothest, even when I put my 250 lbs onto it, it will release for adjustment.

The second photo shows a tender similar to what I’m using that works great. It’s a piece of paracord that has two loops. One goes on the carabiner, the other goes on your tether/lineman’s rope underneath the Distel hitch. When you pull on the loose end the tender will slide up against the knot and move it up the rope. Cheap and works great.

Attachments

• 9D1BEA73-8A0B-4AFE-99D3-1D489456A444.jpeg
    9D1BEA73-8A0B-4AFE-99D3-1D489456A444.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 667D23A1-CAB3-45F6-BE63-571932599D18.jpeg
    667D23A1-CAB3-45F6-BE63-571932599D18.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 62
Back