• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Acorns

gumby

We have a huge crop of acorns in Bankhead Forest (north Alabama) this year. There are acorns on trees that have not had them for years and most are loaded. BH is a hard hunt and with this kind of crop it may be a lot harder, but I will give a try anyway. What about your area bumper crop or bust? For a added bonus while driving out, saw a big limb in the road which turned out to be a huge Timber Rattler maybe 4-5 feet long and big round boy. Sharp looking fella.

Was looking like a decent crop down here until Hurricane Ida came through, blew the majority of them down early. One the positive side it’s really concentrated the deer to the trees still dropping acorns

Find the acorns your gonna find the deer that’s what I have noticed over the years I’m actually headed out right now to hunt a spot that has a good amount and couldn’t get a shot at some deers last night because it was so thick they were feeding and with not a care in the world. I have killed quite a few deers from acorn feeding nature’s natural bait

It’s gonna take a ton of walking, but there will be certain trees that have the best tasting acorns. The sign don’t lie. Turned up leaves, that look like hogs have been there, and fresh poop, and rubs will tell which trees are the feed trees.
Good luck to you!

Back