• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adjustable bridge options

Mschmeiske

SH Member
Who makes the best adjustable bridge in your humble opinion? Ive stayed away from them, but I could see the pros of one, the only thing that’s freaked me out is how slick amsteel is and the thought of the stopper knots I see. Idk if it makes a difference when it’s a full bury compared to when it isn’t? I hope everyone’s having a good day! The season isn’t far now!

I’m also willing to make my own if anyone has good instructions/measurements. I just didn’t know if a full bury is a pain to do or not and idk proper stopper knot for amsteel as mentioned.

I have an Aerohunter Merlin with an adjustable webbing bridge. I actually like it a lot, the tri-glide does not let it move at all. It is kind of a pain to adjust because it needs two hands, but the webbing slides thru the carabiner pretty good for when I'm positioning for a shot. But it is nice to be able to adjust to find that comfortable bridge length.

I’m also willing to make my own if anyone has good instructions/measurements. I just didn’t know if a full bury is a pain to do or not and idk proper stopper knot for amsteel as mentioned.
The full bury does make a little difference with the knot however, what I’ve found is the triple fisherman’s knot works the best to help keep the slick amsteel knot from rolling over free of itself. Also it’s pretty easy to make one. I posted some pics and descriptions of mine on a post some time last year… Cruzr sales them. You could also purchase one of the USA’s from EWO and use it. That company Hang Free also sales some.

This is the one I’ve followed several times.

Really like an adjustable amsteel bridge. 8’ of 1/4 amsteel full bury. 3/16 amsteel continuous loop. Can’t remember the length needed for the loop but a 10” or 12” loop is plenty if you wanna just buy that part outright.

Yea but that 3/16 amsteel loop just doesn’t slide on that 1/4” amsteel very well after it bites down…. There are smoother amsteel bridges out there in my opinion
This is the one I’ve followed several times.

Really like an adjustable amsteel bridge. 8’ of 1/4 amsteel full bury. 3/16 amsteel continuous loop. Can’t remember the length needed for the loop but a 10” or 12” loop is plenty if you wanna just buy that part outright.

The full bury does make a little difference with the knot however, what I’ve found is the triple fisherman’s knot works the best to help keep the slick amsteel knot from rolling over free of itself. Also it’s pretty easy to make one. I posted some pics and descriptions of mine on a post some time last year… Cruzr sales them. You could also purchase one of the USA’s from EWO and use it. That company Hang Free also sales some.

Do you sell them? Or what size amsteel do you recommend for each component?

Yea but that 3/16 amsteel loop just doesn’t slide on that 1/4” amsteel very well after it bites down…. There are smoother amsteel bridges out there in my opinion

Have you ever ran the 3/16 as a schwabisch hitch? Been thinking about it but never tried it. With that I think you might be able to use a tender and it would break loose easier. I usually just work the prussic loose, then adjust it. My only adjustments are at the start of the hunt and end of the hunt.

ok so its not "fully adjustable" but my preferred bridge is a 24" sling. Depending on if you girth hitch, carabiner both sides or double over the loops you can go from a longer bridge to a short bridge. The one side uses a carabineer to the left side bridge loop, so it makes it openable, and makes it so I don't have to step through the saddle. They are relatively cheap, climbing rated, and come in multi-packs, if it shows wear you can just toss it.

Have you ever ran the 3/16 as a schwabisch hitch? Been thinking about it but never tried it. With that I think you might be able to use a tender and it would break loose easier. I usually just work the prussic loose, then adjust it. My only adjustments are at the start of the hunt and end of the hunt.
That’s my only adjusting times to. I have used a 3/16” Schwabisch on 1/4” full bury. It breaks free easier than a prusik but still isn’t super easy. Especially if you sit in it fully weighted for a while

Anyone have measurements for making one? How many feet or inches for the bridge and how much for the hitch?

I don’t love amsteel as part of my bridge. I’m a huge fan of the setup I got with my transformer & @JCLINE84 went over the details with me on some alternate ways to replicate it. I now have some version of that on all my saddles.

Which bridge? I’ll gladly PM you my dimensions and how I splice it. I have a you tube video for how to tie it in once the splices are done

I think I like the idea of a continuous loop prusik, but I’m open to checking out others! That would be swell! Thank you good sir.

I think I like the idea of a continuous loop prusik, but I’m open to checking out others! That would be swell! Thank you good sir.
The video posted above has the measurements for a continuous loop prusik. You’ll find it much harder to adjust once weighted. A continuous loop can also be tied into a schwabisch hitch as well which is a little easier to adjust than a standard prusik

I don’t love amsteel as part of my bridge. I’m a huge fan of the setup I got with my transformer & @JCLINE84 went over the details with me on some alternate ways to replicate it. I now have some version of that on all my saddles.
X2. Friction hitch tied to bridge ring and a rope bridge. Got the idea from my Transformers. Much preferred to Amsteel.

Anyone have measurements for making one? How many feet or inches for the bridge and how much for the hitch?
76 inches for the bridge and 42 inches for the prusik if you’re trying to replicate the bridge I make. It’s Sterling 9mm htp and Sterling 7mm accessory cord. Never had an issue with them locking up. Those two ropes are made to work together. Super easy adjustment after being loaded.

Chunk of climbing rope and appropriate accessory cord for a prussic/Schwabisch/JRB/Michoacan/etc. Don't need to overthink it. Leave the tail of the bridge long and tie a stopper knot at the end. I'd also recommend leaving it long enough to tie an alpine butterfly below the friction hitch so you can't accidentally release it while rotating around to take a shot.

Back