• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adult arrow builders. Are you running offset vanes?

MattMan81

SH Member
What's your results? Strait? Slight OS, lot off set? Re doing my arrows. Running 4 heat vanes. Not sure which way to go. Last year I was running slight OS strait on small feathers. Didn't seem to get a strait answer off the RF channel to an advantage.

What's your results? Strait? Slight OS, lot off set? Re doing my arrows. Running 4 heat vanes. Not sure which way to go. Last year I was running slight OS strait on small feathers. Didn't seem to get a strait answer off the RF channel to an advantage.

What arrow rest do you run?

I always run an offset on vanes and feathers. It acts like a rifling in a barrel, to give the arrow more stability in flight. :)

I ran vanes for many years, but recently went back to feathers and noticed a huge difference with tighter groups at longer yardages. :cool: I was in the process of stripping off some old vanes and happen to have some 4" shield cut feathers on hand. I thought I'd try them out, so I fletched up 3 arrows just for fun. Turns out, they fly GREAT and I get tighter groups out past 40 yards, which will work out great for 3D shoots. I don't like shooting past 30 yards for hunting.

I don't need 4" of feather, so I'm in the process of purchasing some 2" Razyr feathers. I'll finish up my fletching job when they get here. Plus, I'm going to build an entirely new dozen of arrows for hunting this fall and those arrows will have the 2" Razyr feathers on them too. :cool:

I shoot 4 fletch straight A&A fletch and have good results. Natural feathers will have a slight offset left or right. Vanes should not matter. Adding helical should not matter much but if you want to add some offset that should be fine. The main thing is that if you are getting great arrow flight bare shaft, the vanes or feathers should not be doing much work anyway.

I was happy with the 4 feather configuration I ran last year. Problem was once I lost a piece of the feather I noticed a flutter sound going down range. Also didn't care for how they act when they get wet. So wanted a little more durability. I put a small OS into them with the strait jig. So will probably stay with that. Not gonna get crazy with it. How ever the jig looks like it sets them good.

I fletch with as much helical as the jig will allow. Currently using the last chance vane master pro. I go to extremes with most of the arrow building process but have stuck with right helical, three fletch blazers for quite some time. They steer large fixed blade heads easily and my confidence is high with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really liked the TAC Driver vanes 2.75 last year, now I'm shooting zinger 4 fletch and it hasn't changed the stability of my arrow flight that I can tell even with my cutthroat heads.

I’m running AAE stealth max with a 3 degree right hand offset on mine. Doesn’t seem to make much difference when I shoot something like a magnus, my shade tree assessment being it’s due to the cut outs. But when I shoot a grizzlystik it helps a ton. I shoot both eyes open and I’ve recorded the arrow in flight and I can literally see the arrow correct in flight.

I like offset then. Straight for rests like the Bicuit.

I found this video pretty interesting

and Podium Archer had some things that I bent my ear to as well
I was gonna get some of those. When I was ordering my stuff I couldn't find them any where.

I think every arrow setup is a little bit different and requires varying degrees of drag. Assuming you have a tuned bow and you've got all of your arrows bare shafting bullet holes further than 7 or 8yds, I think you can get away with a lot less arrow spin. That said, I have never had the time to go smaller and smaller to find where my broadheads start to overpower the vanes and have always just gone with as much helical or offset as I can get to work for the shaft diameter. When I got into archery 20 years ago, the guy that mentored me was a big proponent of, "you gotta spin the arrow," and I've never ran into a problem with due to an arrow spinning too much, so I just go full send on the offset or helical.

I was gonna get some of those. When I was ordering my stuff I couldn't find them any where.

I think they are only available direct right now from DCA or from Lancaster (out of stock)

I thought the AAE performed very well overall.

My fletching jig doesn't have a straight fletch option....so I have 3 feathers, 2" long, with ½ degree offset. If there was a straight fletch option I would use that because of the whisker biscuit....I don't know for sure but I'd put money on the natural curve of the feather affecting the arrow flight vs offset .....but I could be wrong. I can follow with my eye the arrow rotation during flight .....higher offset gonna slow the arrow faster with more surface area "cutting"into the air...

I run an offset on mine. This THP/Ranch Fairy video with the rocket man talks about arrow flight and how fletching/vanes impart spin and why that matters. They also discuss how too much spin is a bad thing. I think their final thoughts were 3 to 6 degree helical will work pretty well for just about everything, when you go over 6 degrees it can get wonky.

I bought these from Lancaster before I watched this video just to try out. I am still extremely new to fletching but I can tell you compared to the other vanes I had they are a lot more quiet when I recorded with my cell phone and they adhered very well too to my Sirius Apollo’s

I want as much helical and offset as I can get to spin that arrow as fast as possible. On my 2nd bow with a whisker biscuit and don’t think I’d ever change. I’ve shot feathers and vanes through it and never noticed a difference. But don’t practice past 60 yards or in the heavy rain. Currently run all white wrap and 2 inch blazers so I can get a good look at the blood.

I want as much helical and offset as I can get to spin that arrow as fast as possible. On my 2nd bow with a whisker biscuit and don’t think I’d ever change. I’ve shot feathers and vanes through it and never noticed a difference. But don’t practice past 60 yards or in the heavy rain. Currently run all white wrap and 2 inch blazers so I can get a good look at the blood.

Anyone remember NAP Quick Spins? They claimed to spin the arrow quite a bit faster than other designs, with the little kicker on them. Probably not for the Whisker biscuit. I used them when they first came out, with a drop away rest. When I ran through those arrows, I ended up with Blazers. I really was shooting good when I had those Quick Spins, but don't know if the fletches had anything to do with it.

Back