• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice on Small game weapon

Aaronpaul14

I didn’t really get into hunting solid until my 20s. Only been squirrel or rabbit hunting a few times.

But my kids(3 & 6) love watching hunting shows and always want me to kill more deer for them to eat. Thinking this would be fun to get started with them.

I have a 12ga and a 90 year old single shot 22. Was looking at picking up something else/different.

Not wanting to spend a ton on it.

Let’s here what you guys think.

The best all around killing machine would be a shotgun. Most versatile weapon in a safe. IMHO
If I wasn’t looking to spend a ton I would look for a Mosberg semi automatic. I excellent gun for the money.
If I was looking for something fun and it wasn’t about killing buy a 10/22 and go squirrel hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best all around killing machine would be a shotgun. Most versatile weapon in a safe. IMHO
If I wasn’t looking to spend a ton I would look for a Mosberg semi automatic. I excellent gun for the money.
If I was looking for something fun and it wasn’t about killing buy a 10/22 and go squirrel hunting

I’ve got a semi 12ga. Stick with that or go with a 20 or 410?

I started my small hunting career chasing squirrels and grouse with a mossberg 500 20 gauge and a Remington field master pump .22 a 500 is the cheaper and more versatile of the two. Can’t go wrong with that.

still have and use both.

Get you a good 22 and get after some squirrels. Ive got a couple of 10/22's and they're a great gun but I just bought a CZ that will drive tacks.

My favorite small game rifle is a Savage over and under 22mag on top and 20 gauge on bottom I wouldn't trade that gun for anything sin the world! And forgot to mention it breaks apart so it is super easy to pack in if you have a long walk!! I think they still sell these cause I know I have seen them at the gun show in all kinds of configurations! I really want one in the 308/12ga I think that would be an awesome still hunting gun for kinda open areas where it gets thick occasionally!

What’s a ton of money? Under $500?

get a single shot break action 410, something you can pass to one of them as their first gun when they reach that age. good little gun, simple and easy for smaller people and kids to handle. they can use them for small game, birds and with slugs take deer with it, very versatile

You already have a shotgun and depending on the accuracy of the 22 you might have all the guns you need. However nothing wrong with buying a new gun/guns either. But be careful gun purchases like saddle hunting gear can become addictive.

I’ve got a semi 12ga. Stick with that or go with a 20 or 410?

A 20 ga offers a little less kick and is more enjoyable to shoot. Shells run about the same. A 410 is fun to shoot but can get expensive quickly.
A good 10/22 you and the kids will enjoy shooting in any environment. Target or squirrel. I like the 10/22 because you can modify it in almost any way imaginable.

I got my son a 20ga mossberg 500 mini bantum I think it was called. It’s great for small kids. Easier to find shells than a 410. I think you can change the stocks as they grow older. I know it came with shims to add as they grow. Came with a selection of chokes also. Fairly cheap shotgun. Can shoot just about anything with a 20ga.
Everyone should have a 22 also.

Everyone should have a 22 LR rifle. I bought an accurate and reliable Savage bolt action for under 200 last spring and waited until I found a Bushnell scope on sale and then scoped it. A 22 LR bolt action is great for kids to learn how to shoot and be safe, is a competent small game arm, and would be a preferred firearm to have if something bad happens in the world because the ammo is so light and cheap. You can easily have 1,000s of rounds.

I think a modest pump action or single shot 20 gauge is one of the best all around guns. You can hunt anything with it from Bears to Bunnies with the correct ammo. No other gun really affords you all of those possibilities if you think about it. Get rifled slugs for bears and deer. Use low brass 6's for squirrels and rabbits. Three inch fours for turkey, yotes and fox. Low brass 7.5 for grouse and dove. 9 shot for clay target practice. Most of the pumps now are drilled and tapped for a scope or red dot too. A good shotgun is a very versatile firearm.

I've got a Mossberg 500 too...for Michigan it lets me hunt everything! Smooth bore barrel for bird, small game, turkey. Rifled barrel for larger game like deer and bear. I even have the muzzle loader barrel too, but I've yet to try using it.

A quality 22 that can grow with them. Looking back at both of my boys, now 15 and 25 both of who currently hunt with me, I regret not investing more time in the woods squirrel hunting with them from the beginning. That experience of searching for, spotting, stalking, and ultimately shooting is fundamental and the lessons are plentiful.

Hmm I didnt realize 410 rounds were scarce. Havent shot one in years, just have find memories of taking it into the woods.

Can not go wrong with a Savage or Ruger 22lr rifle
Savage make multiple affordable great semi auto 22lr rifles as does Ruger and thier Legendary 10/22
But for matters of safety and recoil I would seriously advise you begin you children with bolt action 22lrs and pump or single shot 20 gauge shotguns until they master firearm safety
I actually began my sons at age 6 with soft air plastic bb rifles and HG's then about 8 progressed to braje action 22 pellet guns then soon after started with a 22lr bolt gun
My boys were BEGGING me and driving me nuts by age 10 to shoot my semiautomatic 22s and 223's as well as my CF & RF HG's
So I began with loading only 1 round in my Ruger 22/45 and Ruger MKIV's and 10/22's and spent a very LONG year breaking in boys very eager to shoot rifles and HG's with more than 1 round in them.
Now I rarely go to my private gun club and not receive compliments on how well my sons observe and exercise firearm safety ESPECIALLY muzzle discipline.
Now a day at the range for me is 300-600 9mm 100-300 223 and 1500-2k 22lr and 200+ clay birds of assorted sizes
Than GOD I have been reloading for 15 years before I got married let alone had my boys

I think I’m going to go with the .22 for now since I have the 12 ga and can just get small loads for it as an option.

Has anyone tried the Henry Ar-7? Thought that might be cool to have and throw in for camping/kayaking trips too. Looks lightweight and small enough for kids to shoot too.

Back