• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider/footrest mock-up

dalton916

SH Member
Did some fooling around today to try out an idea I had. I ordered a couple of woven daisy chain straps from Dutch to us as gear holders then got the idea to try an aider using them (7k breaking strength for those keeping score at home).

So I made the steps using 550 cord and a piece of drip tubing to hold it open....(do not do this because you will die)

a321b8fede04addfd1b38af22818ea3c.jpg

Then looped the strap over the top step and girth hitched the steps....(this is extremely hazardous and may cause you to die)

3f93456c859d344e403d2db06ceccb41.jpg

b541593e08a464b086c3bc8ba2a28d3f.jpg

I can definitely get an extra stick’s worth of height out of this, but I don’t see me using it beyond that. (Unless I use this mock up design in which I definitely won’t go beyond the first stick because I won’t make it to the first stick, I will fa and die instead)

Then I hopped down and jumped on the platform to play with bridge length. Once there I had an idea for a rest position so I pulled the strap over to me, undid the steps (the mock up steps....the ones that will make you dead if you use them) and hooked them on a second carabiner. This allows my feet to be on the sides of the tree while the 550 cord is taking the brunt of the force (do not do this or you will die). This also means a seated position without my knees having to contact the tree.....

9a5be50202477ed04382ebbcf335a680.jpg

It’s easy enough to step in and out of, but it is noisy when on a pine. I don’t climb many pines anyway so it’s not that big of a deal. I picture this being use for naps and extended breaks on really long hangs. (And made from material which will not cause me to die)

Overall, I would have to say I like this idea so far. (Unless it kills me, then I will definitely change my mind)

Disclaimer: do not crawl inside a trash bag and tie it off over your head or will die.

Last edited:
That looks cool. So is the aider moveable then? And is there a way to still use it as a gear hanger? Pretty cool idea man.

those straps are only 0.75/ft and they’ll cut them to whatever length you want. AND.....Dutch will ship to a PO Box

Did some fooling around today to try out an idea I had. I ordered a couple of woven daisy chain straps from Dutch to us as gear holders then got the idea to try an aider using them (7k breaking strength for those keeping score at home).

So I made the steps using 550 cord and a piece of drip tubing to hold it open....

a321b8fede04addfd1b38af22818ea3c.jpg

Then looped the strap over the top step and girth hitched the steps....

3f93456c859d344e403d2db06ceccb41.jpg

b541593e08a464b086c3bc8ba2a28d3f.jpg

I can definitely get an extra stick’s worth of height out of this, but I don’t see me using it beyond that.

Then I hopped down and jumped on the platform to play with bridge length. Once there I had an idea for a rest position so I pulled the strap over to me, undid the steps and hooked them on a second carabiner. This allows my feet to be on the sides of the tree while the 550 cord is taking the brunt of the force. This also means a seated position without my knees having to contact the tree.....

9a5be50202477ed04382ebbcf335a680.jpg

It’s easy enough to step in and out of, but it is noisy when on a pine. I don’t climb many pines anyway so it’s not that big of a deal. I picture this being use for naps and extended breaks on really long hangs.

Overall, I would have to say I like this idea so far.

You didn’t need to shine your boots for that picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the aider is attached to the daisy chain if I understand you correctly.
And the aider is made of paracord. I am not sure paracord should should be used for an aider if I understood you correctly
It is not strong enough

Forgive me if I did not understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So the aider is attached to the daisy chain if I understand you correctly.
And the aider is made of paracord. I am not sure paracord should should be used for an aider if I understood you correctly
It is not strong enough

Forgive me if I did not understand

I was wondering the same thing. How strong can 550 paracord be?

Key words....”mock up”.

Now, I may very well stay with the 550 cord, but this is just a simple run at ground level to get the design/functionality worked out.

I have no doubt the 550 is overkill for the footrest aspect of this and that it is most likely strong enough for the aider aspect, but I may double it or switch to 1/4 (or even 1/8) amsteel. Again, I’m NOT going to be using it to climb beyond the first stick.

I was wondering the same thing. How strong can 550 paracord be?

Uhhhhhh.....it get’s it’s name from it’s breaking strength

550 lbs is your answer.

The MILSPEC stuff is 550# and used for parachute suspension lines. The cheap civilian stuff who knows... The military version also stretches A LOT to mitigate the opening shock of the parachute. A can I don’t wish to open. Definitely know it wouldn’t be comfortable to stand on for any length of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it the concept of a “mock up” that’s being lost here? I don’t get it. Regardless, yes, this is mil-spec and I don’t plan on camping out in the steps in between leaving the ground and climbing onto the first stick nor do I plan on hopping off of my platform to suspend myself on the steps that are being used for a foot REST.....

Mock up....using cheap materials for design to prove a device’s function/feasibility.....mock up.

Got it. Maybe not everybody would understand it was a mock up

Unique way to make an aider. Let us know how you like it

[IQUOTE="dalton916, post: 178064, member: 4077"]Is it the concept of a “mock up” that’s being lost here? I don’t get it. Regardless, yes, this is mil-spec and I don’t plan on camping out in the steps in between leaving the ground and climbing onto the first stick nor do I plan on hopping off of my platform to suspend myself on the steps that are being used for a foot REST.....

Mock up....using cheap materials for design to prove a device’s function/feasibility.....mock up.[/QUOTE]In the interest of clarity and new people reading, it's probably worth mentioning the construction you'd use for a "real" one on the initial post. Otherwise you risk guys missing a couple of words, seeing copying, and misusing a good idea.

Done (I left the words “mock up” in the thread title like it has been since creation of said topic....)

Back