• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider material

Matki15

For those of y’all who make their own aiders, is tubular webbing the standard material? Or could I also use standard heavy duty webbing or some 8mm rope I have laying around? Would using the webbing or rope make a difference in the quality or performance of the aider?

I prefer the tubular webbing for the combination of strength and packability. I'm sure the other material would work but I wouldn't switch after using the tubular webbing.

How stiff is the rope that you put in? I tried to put some 8mm rope I had and it wasn’t as stiff as I would have liked it

I think I used 5/16” rope in mine wrapped with electrical tape... it seems flexible enough to fold and pack but rigid enough to maintain my foot holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here is what I did. Still going strong. Helium Aiders.

Here is what I did. Still going strong. Helium Aiders.
Those look like the work great! Nice system

Did you wrap the ends of the cable in electrical tape or something? I feel like the copper wires would want to poke through the webbing
No, I just cut it flush. But you can. Or heat shrink it. But tubular is strong as heck! Actually I just untied it to use another method, one that allows me to only use one aider all the way up, but keeps it attached to my foot. Saw it on YouTube

No, I just cut it flush. But you can. Or heat shrink it. But tubular is strong as heck! Actually I just untied it to use another method, one that allows me to only use one aider all the way up, but keeps it attached to my foot. Saw it on YouTube
I’ll have to try the cable next time I make an aider, the one I made recently I just wrapped electrical tape around the loops and it made it harder to pack down to fit in a pocket or pouch

I use 1” tubular webbing and stick a piece of 10mm rope in the core to help keep it open.

Back