• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aiders

WISCO

New to the saddle game. I just purchased some Trophyline mini double sticks and want to get some aiders. I know with the mini sticks alone I will only be able to get up around 12-13 feet. I have been looking on EWO and found some 18" cable aiders I was thinking of adding to 3 of the sticks and the UltimAider in a 2 or 3 step aider to add to my first stick. Thinking with this setup i might be able to hit that 20' mark. Does anyone have experience with any of these aiders or have any recommendations?

4 Trophyline minis with 18” cable aider will get you 18-20’ pretty easy. Probably a little higher with some effort. Add an 2 or 3 step aider and 20’ is no probably. Ladder style aider arnt as sturdy as cable aiders in my opinion. Just take a little more time on your ladder style ultimaider.

4 Trophyline minis with 18” cable aider will get you 18-20’ pretty easy. Probably a little higher with some effort. Add an 2 or 3 step aider and 20’ is no probably. Ladder style aider arnt as sturdy as cable aiders in my opinion. Just take a little more time on your ladder style ultimaider.
I have read that the cable aiders are easier to use due to the stiff cable and pack really well on the minis in the 18" length. I figured the UltimAider on the first stick would give me a lot of altitude. Would also probably work if I ever want to try and one stick it.

You’re correct sir. I will add that I just got a black diamond etrier and plan on using a amsteel continuous loop and a carabiner and get around 20’ with 3 sticks. Moving the aider as I go.

You’re correct sir. I will add that I just got a black diamond etrier and plan on using a amsteel continuous loop and a carabiner and get around 20’ with 3 sticks. Moving the aider as I go.
Did you get the alpine one? I’ve been eyeing that one so I’m curious. I have amsteel aiders and I like them.

As far as aiders go. You can make a single step so ez by just tying a figure 8 on each end of a piece of rope with a short section of hose in between. It gets tricky adding steps but if it weren’t challenging what’s the fun? Lots of good stuff out there, but I don’t think anything packs up lighter or more compact than amsteel. As far as comfort though I just don’t see how an ultimaider or similar made from webbing can be beat. I’d recommend getting a two step and start one sticking right off the bat…….once you rappel you’ll get it.

Cable aiders are fine but I took mine off because I prefer my aider strapped to my leg. It comes with me and I find it easier to find the step than getting my foot inside the cable. Overall, less fiddling with my aider versus deploying the cable aiders. My aider is an all webbing version of a knaider.

I went ahead with the 3 cable aiders from EWO on my top three sticks and a Amsteel 2 step aider from CAP on my bottom stick.
I see that CAP has a daisy aider for $30.00 thinking about picking one up to play with to see if i like that setup better. I can see how using one aider all the way up / down can have it benefits, less weight and possibly easier to locate and ascend / descend.

If you've never used aiders (especially cable aiders) be sure to practice a lot. I got some last year and I was super wobbly at first. It takes some time to figure out how to get your foot locked to the tree. I actually like to use the inside edge of my foot now instead of my toe.

Also, they are stiff which is nice but spreading your steps out too far can cause a problem especially with big boots because you can't get your foot out of the aider on the way down. So they're not flawless. But still better than other aiders in my opinion.

Back