• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Airtight Containers

barlowchiro

Anyone find a good deal on airtight containers for storing Scentlok gear? I found this one and it seems to be reasonably priced. About the same size as the one Scentlok sells on their website for about half the price.

I’ve got totes from Menards or Lowe’s that have multiple latches with a gasket on the inside lip. They were less than $15 a pop.

That's a great price on the Remington. I paid $42. Love mine. I keep my saddle and pack in it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I use the Plano 108qt Sportsmans trunks. Sometimes you can find them on sale for as low as $30. If it doesn't have the rubber gasket I just run a thin bead of rtv or right stuff around the lid. Air tight.

I’m basically making the same comparison as OP, my apologies.

I use the Plano 108qt Sportsmans trunks. Sometimes you can find them on sale for as low as $30. If it doesn't have the rubber gasket I just run a thin bead of rtv or right stuff around the lid. Air tight.

That was my concern was the foam gasket, would like to see a rubber one, but I guess a thin bead of RTV or silicome may do the trick.

IRIS 82 Quart Weathertight Store-It-All Tote, 4-Pack, Brown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA33Q8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dmB1Db5VQSNPR

Best size in my opinion. I own six of these. Bought the four pack, then found two same size made by Remington in academy. Hold up well so far three years old

I went ahead and ordered the 4 pack of these as well. Gonna look and see what kind of rubber weatherstripping or whatever I can put on there just to further make it airtight, not sure I trust that foam 100% to be airtight.

I went ahead and ordered the 4 pack of these as well. Gonna look and see what kind of rubber weatherstripping or whatever I can put on there just to further make it airtight, not sure I trust that foam 100% to be airtight.

I didn’t buy them for their absolute airtight scent free nature in the name of scent control. I just wanted air water tight so it can go in back of truck or out in the rain. Not that I think it matters, but scent molecules require air movement to find their way inside the tote. In order for air to move, you’ve got to have a temperature differential across inside the tote and out. 99% of the time it will be warmer inside the tote than out. Warm air takes up more space. It would create a positive pressure inside the tote, forcing air out, not pulling it in. Again, not that it matters, but I think you’re really splitting hairs worrying about the seal. Buy the cheapest tote that has decent latches and a foam seal, and pump your ozone or scent spray or whatever it is that you do, and keep rolling.

I store my gear in coolers I use in the summer then just switch the gear back to the closet or cheapo totes when I need the coolers for the summer. If I'm on a trip and need the coolers for a deer, the clothes get thrown in a garbage bag since they'll be getting washed probably anyways.

Back