• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alabama guys carry questions?

ImThere

So I can open carry? But if I get in my vehicle I have to unload my pistol and separately lock them up? Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AL Carry Pistol in Vehicle
Must be unloaded and locked away per this site. So this is saying you basically have to have it in the trunk and locked up where niether the passenger nor driver can reach it.

Alabama is one of the most lenient reciprocity states so if you have a permit in TN you’ll probably be good in Alabama just double check.
Reciprocity

Last edited:
I cannot be the only person who thinks this is a stupid law? I can walk in the store with the gun on my side but have to lock it away in the car? Why cant I just keep it in my hip?
I need to get my carry permit, I have not got it yet.

I cannot be the only person who thinks this is a stupid law? I can walk in the store with the gun on my side but have to lock it away in the car? Why cant I just keep it in my hip?
I need to get my carry permit, I have not got it yet.

Well I doubt it will but if the latest bill passes then Alabama residents will not be required to possess even a pistol permit. Then this law goes away essentially.

you have to take a test in most states but Alabama you just walk in and pay the fee so there ain’t much tocomplain about in my opinion

do you not have a permit in Tennessee? Did you move to Alabama yet?

do you not have a permit in Tennessee? Did you move to Alabama yet?

No permit in Tn.
We closed on our house in Bear creek two weeks ago. We will go back and forth for the next year maintaining residence in Tn until we sell our house here in a year.

@ImThere, I know the old law said you were good-to-go in the vehicle as long as it was in plain view. If it was concealed, then you had to have a concealed-carry license. They changed a lot of rules a few years ago. Minors between ages of 18-21 can possess firearms, we went from may to shall-issue permits, employers can restrict carry unless they have certain security measures, and a few other things.

I'll say this. I don't have a permit and I carry whatever and however in my vehicle. I have been stopped numerous times and never has it once come up. Alabama LEOs are pretty relaxed and pro 2A in my experience. Birmingham may be different because they lean left hard. But as long as you don't look like you're selling dope and have your stuff together, you're probably fine

So...when I come visit are we eating steak or lobster?

Whatever you bring!
I did mention I just bought a house!! Lol nothing like being house poor. Maintaining two residences ain’t going to be cheap!! Bring your kayaks, canoes, boats and guns!! Bwahahahahaha!
Our house is on a small lake named Leham lake. Upper bear creek is 2 or so miles away. And Bank Head is maybe 20 minutes, Wilson dam is 50 min

Whatever you bring!
I did mention I just bought a house!! Lol nothing like being house poor. Maintaining two residences ain’t going to be cheap!! Bring your kayaks, canoes, boats and guns!! Bwahahahahaha!
Our house is on a small lake named Leham lake. Upper bear creek is 2 or so miles away. And Bank Head is maybe 20 minutes, Wilson dam is 50 min

I know the feeling! One little house on the Tensaw broke my little back. I can definitely bring a steak and a whiskey whenever you're ready to host.

A few years ago I went to the police station and asked them. Don’t quote me but they told me it had to be unloaded and left on the seat in clear view. If a piece of paper fell on it, it was concealed. You can open carry but if you wear a jacket and it falls over it then it is concealed. The pistol permit was the easy option.

I just doubled checked and I didn’t see any legislation changing or contradicting what I stated or posted earlier. So until I find something else it does appear you are correct in your originally understanding and OP.

Back