• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Almost gave up….. cold weather success. 1st deer on new property.

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
I’d been waiting to hunt this spot until the wind was right. It’s a river bottom behind our new house. About 200’ elevation below our place, the river bottom stretches the back border or our place about 5-600 yds long. A big bluff separates two steep ravines that dump into the river. 99D51570-8676-4B72-B26B-3613E440DF5E.jpeg
My setup gives me a shot on the steep hillside & the pinch b/w the river & tree.32BE363C-58B6-49EF-B505-91D4CF4F01A9.jpeg

I’d been waiting to hunt this spot until the wind was right. It’s a river bottom behind our new house. About 200’ elevation below our place, the river bottom stretches the back border or our place about 5-600 yds long. A big bluff separates two steep ravines that dump into the river. View attachment 76443
My setup gives me a shot on the steep hillside & the pinch b/w the river & tree.View attachment 76445

Beautiful stretch of water, pools and riffles, and a good looking spot to hunt.

I don't hunt my (very small) neighborhood property, but I have deer about often enough. My best spot would be right outside the side door where I let the dogs out to go. Had a huge buck saunter by last year while the pup was doing his business. lol. It's not so picturesque.

Windy & cold yesterday morning about 28 with 12-15 mph winds. Setup plenty of time before shooting light. No action at all for the first 2 hours. At 740 I heard running deer coming down the hill. I saw a doe & heard grunting as they came out of the brush, saw tines & grabbed my bow off the hanger. The doe came through on a trot at 25yds & stopped the buck in my last lane & shot at my 10oclock. The arrow hit just a touch back but full pass through & buried in the ground. I watched the buck slowly walk away tail tucked & flicking . He crossed the river & up the bank & bedded facing me/ his back trail at about 60-70 yds. I watched him through binoculars for almost 3hours. He stood at 1045 & rebedded in a deadfall facing away. I used the opportunity to slip out quietly. 7A9DD572-913F-433D-A291-263F5C1FA32A.jpegD650F77D-802B-4FF6-9C6A-AAD891820FC7.jpeg

I went back out bow in hand & climbed back up in my tree to see if he was still bedded in the deadfall. He was & his head was down but tines up not laying on their side. I eased across the river. & slipped up the bank. My plan was to nock an arrow come to full draw & stand. He would be at 5yds & take whatever shot I had if he was still alive. As I did that he caught movement & bolted out about 30yds away keeping the deadfall between us. He never looked back just slowly walked away. I took a knee & eased back down the river bank out of sight. Planning to come back in the morning after an overnight low of 18degrees. Hoping he would bed, stiffen up & expire overnight, just praying yotes don’t find him. I got permission from the neighbor behind me, our property line stops about where the deadfall is across the river. I started out now in hand at daylight, crossed the river & checked his last bed, full of dark red blood & I was hoping he was expired. An hour & a half, no blood & starting to grid search. I was not feeling confident at this point, was in waist high grass over fallen logs, briars everywhere. I checked in with a few buddies for advice & went back up to the house & got Maverick my beagle mix. He’s been good for me when I don’t have blood. I took him down & he immediately started zigzagging the blood trail at the shot site & walked 40yds to the crossing the buck used. He doesn’t mind getting his feet wet but won’t swim, so I carried him across. He went right to the bed & spent a minute or two in it. He hopped out of the deadfall & headed in the direction of the buck. I was waiting to see if he would make the sharp left turn the buck did across a creek & into a thicket. He took a hard left & started pulling….. I was feeling better! We worked through some brush tunnels & finally I backtracked & tried to walk around the thicket. When we got even with our progress, he stood up & put his nose up looking towards the creek. We spotted him about the same time, not 80yds from the deadfall. C62594C8-8245-4344-A555-D5BAE4DC2841.jpeg

6F633F57-E312-4849-AF0C-CC01624394E5.jpeg23F6340A-A3E3-4CAD-90AA-7C164DDADE62.jpeg94DA67AC-9917-47B7-A7B6-ECE53954625E.jpeg26266C10-F2CA-45F3-9639-568BD78FE43E.jpeg280F265F-ABE2-49A5-9B8F-7A33118CBECB.jpegWe scramble down the bank to check him out, A nice 8pt that I couldn’t be happier with. Maverick sat patiently as I broke down the buck & got ready for the pack out. Probably only 4-500 yds but the last part is hands & knees almost 45degrees….. he scrambled up ahead after his lift back across the river. That was fun, full pack, mossy river rocks, thigh deep current with a pup under your arm. Made it to work by lunchtime ( what an excellent use of sick time!) Bow hunting is a roller coaster, highest of highs to lowest of lows , then back again!!!

I went back out bow in hand & climbed back up in my tree to see if he was still bedded in the deadfall. He was & his head was down but tines up not laying on their side. I eased across the river. & slipped up the bank. My plan was to nock an arrow come to full draw & stand. He would be at 5yds & take whatever shot I had if he was still alive. As I did that he caught movement & bolted out about 30yds away keeping the deadfall between us. He never looked back just slowly walked away. I took a knee & eased back down the river bank out of sight. Planning to come back in the morning after an overnight low of 18degrees. Hoping he would bed, stiffen up & expire overnight, just praying yotes don’t find him. I got permission from the neighbor behind me, our property line stops about where the deadfall is across the river. I started out now in hand at daylight, crossed the river & checked his last bed, full of dark red blood & I was hoping he was expired. An hour & a half, no blood & starting to grid search. I was not feeling confident at this point, was in waist high grass over fallen logs, briars everywhere. I checked in with a few buddies for advice & went back up to the house & got Maverick my beagle mix. He’s been good for me when I don’t have blood. I took him down & he immediately started zigzagging the blood trail at the shot site & walked 40yds to the crossing the buck used. He doesn’t mind getting his feet wet but won’t swim, so I carried him across. He went right to the bed & spent a minute or two in it. He hopped out of the deadfall & headed in the direction of the buck. I was waiting to see if he would make the sharp left turn the buck did across a creek & into a thicket. He took a hard left & started pulling….. I was feeling better! We worked through some brush tunnels & finally I backtracked & tried to walk around the thicket. When we got even with our progress, he stood up & put his nose up looking towards the creek. We spotted him about the same time, not 80yds from the deadfall. View attachment 76449
Is that the exit? Or entrance. The arrow looked like it had some white tallow..

Great write up, way to take your time and stick with it. Where was the entrance and exit though? What did you hit internally?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Is that the exit? Or entrance. The arrow looked like it had some white tallow..
Exit, he was walking right to left & it was a low liver hit. He was very much alive 8 hours after the shot. His big muscles were still warm but all his knees were literally frozen so I’m guessing he died a few hours after dark…

Top is entrance & bottom was exit. He stepped & twisted as I released & made it a weird quartering away hit.View attachment 76455View attachment 76456
Yea man good shot, if the deer ducks a bit more you watch him fall 50 yards away. What broadhead were you shooting? I hit one exactly like that last year. The deer mule kicked hard and took off out of sight. I thought I had smoked him but waited an hour to take up the track. Didn’t have any blood, and jumped him out of a bed 60 yards away. He ran off into the brush but I found him in the next bed the next day less than 150 yards from the very first shot. I had actually barely clipped heart on that deer and he lived several hours.

Windy & cold yesterday morning about 28 with 12-15 mph winds. Setup plenty of time before shooting light. No action at all for the first 2 hours. At 740 I heard running deer coming down the hill. I saw a doe & heard grunting as they came out of the brush, saw tines & grabbed my bow off the hanger. The doe came through on a trot at 25yds & stopped the buck in my last lane & shot at my 10oclock. The arrow hit just a touch back but full pass through & buried in the ground. I watched the buck slowly walk away tail tucked & flicking . He crossed the river & up the bank & bedded facing me/ his back trail at about 60-70 yds. I watched him through binoculars for almost 3hours. He stood at 1045 & rebedded in a deadfall facing away. I used the opportunity to slip out quietly. View attachment 76447View attachment 76448
That’s my arrow. Copycat.4EC6365E-2241-492B-9439-15D625983763.png

Awesome work! Congrats!!! Love the dog tracking story. And great buck!! So cool!!

Back