• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alternative (larger) platforms for saddle setups?

The only thing I'm leary about when I look at most of the commercial saddle kits is the size of the platform. I'm sure it's adequate for any needed movement, but what if you feel like you need something bigger? I know that fast moves to change shooting positions is a no-no, but I can't imagine that more size wouldn't be helpful for maneuverability. Is something like the Predator platform big "enough?" I'm not a big guy but it's better to think about this now than later.

The only thing I'm leary about when I look at most of the commercial saddle kits is the size of the platform. I'm sure it's adequate for any needed movement, but what if you feel like you need something bigger? I know that fast moves to change shooting positions is a no-no, but I can't imagine that more size wouldn't be helpful for maneuverability. Is something like the Predator platform big "enough?" I'm not a big guy but it's better to think about this now than later.

It’s one of the those things that makes more sense when you try it, I’m 6’4” 240lbs and wear a size 12 boot I’ve hunted off a predator the past two seasons and it’s big enough for me, you could always use a hang on stand as a platform if you want something big but I think you give up some the benefits of saddle hunting if you go that big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The predator was big enough for my size 13 boots. The ridge runner I think is wider but not as deep. Lwcg ambush platform needs some refinement before I would spend my money. I would hold off a couple weeks and see what turns up at some of the trade shows.

I tried a Predator for like 5 minutes and didn’t like it. I bought a Podium and I really love it. It’s pretty big for a saddle platform. I could see myself revisiting a smaller platform but really only for packing purposes. To expand, the podium packs well enough, but it’s tougher to get sticks, podium and weapon all on the pack. Not a dealbreaker at all.

Keep on the lookout for Massapalooza, our local saddle hang. That will be the place to try out anything you cpuld possibly want!

I tried a Predator for like 5 minutes and didn’t like it. I bought a Podium and I really love it. It’s pretty big for a saddle platform. I could see myself revisiting a smaller platform but really only for packing purposes. To expand, the podium packs well enough, but it’s tougher to get sticks, podium and weapon all on the pack. Not a dealbreaker at all.

Keep on the lookout for Massapalooza, our local saddle hang. That will be the place to try out anything you cpuld possibly want!

If you like the podium I bet you’d love the ridge runner. I know I love mine. Never tried the predator or anything else and I don’t think I need to.

I like my cut down hang on. I can stand clear of the tree if I want. It's not just a place to put my feet for leaning and sitting. It's fully a stand.

It comes down to how much weight you want to carry. For me it's more than the weight saving. Anything smaller than full size platforms is lighter, easier thru brush and much easier to set up.
This is very much a personal preference for all.

Your on the right track considering your options, trade offs and what benefits you the most.

I shoot aluminum riser recurves and other guys shoot broomsticks, first thing I hear is," you gonna carry that in the woods"?
Yep.

I'm not a big guy but it's better to think about this now than later.
Whatever you get, you want to practice to get comfortable with. And I find that a lot of the time the concerns that people have before trying something are completely different from the concerns they have after trying something once...

I would say to think about it, but be very wary of overthinking it until you have a frame of reference.

There are other things to consider than foot space when deciding on the size of the platform. Large size platforms can limit placement on certain trees. An example would be a multi trunked maple tree, which are one of my favorites. Too large a platform may not fit between the trunks. I've experienced that dozens of times over the years. Perfect tree in the perfect spot but it's just a PIA (often impossible) to set a large platform. Sometimes, if you move the platform up the tree a couple feet, the trunks spread apart enough for the stand to fit but then you can get into lateral branches and stuff that limits bow clearance for shooting. Large platforms complicate things more often than they help things.
I'm not just looking for a tree I can get into, I want to be able to get into any tree that I need to be in. Screw the "comfort" of a larger platform. Set up in the tree that gives you the best chance for success. Large platforms can limit which trees you can hunt.
Plus, if they are pre-sets, they are a lot easier for other hunters to see (and maybe steal). I hide from other hunters as much as I'm hiding from deer.

Last edited:
I value width over depth with whatever I’m putting my feet on. It’s not natural or comfortable to lean/stand with your feet touching together. Especially men...

I like one that allows me to have my feet shoulder width apart. Which is why I like a ring of steps as well. Feet on either side of the tree.

I value width over depth with whatever I’m putting my feet on. It’s not natural or comfortable to lean/stand with your feet touching together. Especially men...

I like one that allows me to have my feet shoulder width apart. Which is why I like a ring of steps as well. Feet on either side of the tree.

Quit bragging!

I personally strongly prefer the larger ambush over the predator. Never used a ridge runner, but wider is definitely better for me on a platform.

Predator was my first platform. After the new wore off on maybe the 2nd or 3rd hunt, I was left struggling to like it for the reason kyler1945 mentioned. With the ambush, I can stand without my ankles and knees touching, and I can also maneuver to shoot 360 without relying on side loading the platform, something I never felt comfortable doing on any platform but the treesuit.

Also, sticks to me don't pack well any way but on a rigid frame. It's a non starter for me if I have to strap them to the back or even sides of a pack. I liked carrying cut down APIs on the windwalker, and the ambush pairs really well with the mini sticks. I never though I'd be a sticks and platform guy, but I've killed 2 bucks off of that combo. Doesn't really feel like saddle hunting, but it sure is easy.

I personally strongly prefer the larger ambush over the predator. Never used a ridge runner, but wider is definitely better for me on a platform.

Predator was my first platform. After the new wore off on maybe the 2nd or 3rd hunt, I was left struggling to like it for the reason kyler1945 mentioned. With the ambush, I can stand without my ankles and knees touching, and I can also maneuver to shoot 360 without relying on side loading the platform, something I never felt comfortable doing on any platform but the treesuit.

Also, sticks to me don't pack well any way but on a rigid frame. It's a non starter for me if I have to strap them to the back or even sides of a pack. I liked carrying cut down APIs on the windwalker, and the ambush pairs really well with the mini sticks. I never though I'd be a sticks and platform guy, but I've killed 2 bucks off of that combo. Doesn't really feel like saddle hunting, but it sure is easy.

You make me want to try that set up! I had sticks ordered, but after 3 plus months I got sick of waiting and cancelled my order.. not to mention the weights weren’t what they originally said... I hope they got the platforms drilled straight now, but I’m still curious about the cam over, some seemed to have a hard time with it.

I value depth over width. There's no right answer, it's just a personal preference thing. I don't struggle to find comfort for my boys in a narrower platform but I did struggle to stand on the platform for the pivot shot on my Predator, thus I sold it. I think the ideal platform for me would come in somewhere like 12" wide x 15" long.

If you like the podium I bet you’d love the ridge runner. I know I love mine. Never tried the predator or anything else and I don’t think I need to.

I might love the RR as well if I had one. One thing that is nice about the podium is the mesh surface. I like not standing on thin rails. Might not be an issue but that was part of my decision when picking between the Pod and RR. I can basically stand barefoot on the Pod

You make me want to try that set up! I had sticks ordered, but after 3 plus months I got sick of waiting and cancelled my order.. not to mention the weights weren’t what they originally said... I hope they got the platforms drilled straight now, but I’m still curious about the cam over, some seemed to have a hard time with it.
The cam over is different in that you have to realize there's a LOT of range of motion on it. You cant tighten the strap all the way and cam it over with the platform all the way in the folded position. You have to tighten the strap all the way, and then cam it from about the 3/4 to halfway folded position, depending on the hardness of the tree. A pine tree will get gouged out easier than say, a mockernut hickory.

All really, really good input... I think most of you are totally correct to say "don't overthink it yet." I still have no idea yet of what I'm going to like versus actually need, so I should probably just cool my jets for a while. I do like the idea of the Ambush from what I'm hearing, but that would likely force me to reconsider packing options (especially with adding climbing sticks and any other gear into the mix). Plus, more size/mass generally means more weight to hoof in, which might defeat the purpose of the saddle setup... to be fair, a climbing stand with climbing sticks would likely be much heavier by a wide margin, plus still require the other gadgets, food, clothing, etc. that I'd be carrying either way.

Looking forward to Massapalooza! I can bring food! (People actually wanting to eat it might be the issue)

I'll have to keep the Podium, Ridge Runner, and the Ambush all in mind...

will the major manufacturers be at the major archery trade show coming up? I know it's like ICAST in fishing where unless you're a trade insider, you're not getting in. ;) Just looking forward to researching.

I do like the idea of the Ambush from what I'm hearing, but that would likely force me to reconsider packing options (especially with adding climbing sticks and any other gear into the mix). Plus, more size/mass generally means more weight to hoof in, which might defeat the purpose of the saddle setup.
So, full disclosure. The only way I've ever carried the ambush and sticks is with the backpack straps. It carries beautifully that way. I just tuck my gear in my jacket and pants pockets, and wear my saddle in.

Only con is I have to do like I did when I hunted with a hand climber, and make 2 trips out of the woods if I shoot something, unless I'm close enough to a truck or boat to gut and drag. Otherwise, I walk back to the truck, drop my gear off, grab an alice pack ,and go back in to quarter the deer.

Back