• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alternative to Tethrd HYS Strap?

Marmuzz

Any ideas for an alternative or DIY copycat of the Tethrd HYS Strap? I’m looking for a system just to hang a backpack and weapon. It looks like a great product and I’ve heard it highly recommended. I realize webbing and thread for stitches have a cost if I were to sew my own, but I wonder if it could be replicated for less than $38 (Tethrd cost + S&H).

D5B3A204-1D85-458B-9ECF-EDC48C8485A5.jpeg

I made a super long HYS strap for my wife to pull up her Helium's, that was a fun project.

It is a super easy build, made easier than you would ever believe. This is how I built several.

A) decide how big of a tree you want max.
B) decide how big of a loop you need.
C) decide what to do with your tag ends.
D) decide how big of loops you want, they use 2" wide loops that are 1" tall.
E) add it all up and cut your webbing
F) cut a G-Hook strap.

1) measure out the 1st tag end and build it.
2) mark your inside loop positions for the diameter of the max tree size.
3) mark and build the loop, remember leave 6-12" of G-Hook strap with the loop and I like to have 2 or 3 loops incorporated into the securing of the strap. I sew the strap to the bottom while sewing to help it stay secure.
4) mark all of the upper loops and them sew them to the bottom.
5) measure and build the upper tag end.
6) install the G-Hook and the put in a T at the tag end to stop the G-Hook coming off.

So, I have made the loops as close as 1" and it was too tight, at 1.5" it was just useable, at 3" it was too floppy in 1" webbing. 2.5" was a loose connection, but worked. So I stay with the 2".

The loop size of 1/2" high was super tight, but useable. 1" was dead on and great, 1.5" was loose and flopped too much. So, again I stay with 1".

When I built the long drag for my wife I just put loops big enough to hold her buttons that barely pulled over put them several feet apart so as she climbed the were on the ground until she pulled. It was way too large and long, she used it all season and hated it. If I rebuild that I would build it in string instead of webbing.

Other tag ends have just been looping upper and lower back together.

I also tried building an upper and lower on 1 length of webbing with G-Hooks at both ends. It was cute, but still too large, on most trees I ended up with 5 feet between upper and lower rings and a length of loops on the tree. Was never happy with the length and weight of the system.

Need to find a better system, not happy with the HYS straps, have tried them for 2.5 years now.

Cord is my next idea.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I made one with 1/8th amsteel (orange,black) and cam jam xt but doubled up on the locked bremmel and it worked really good all last season. Very similiar to Backwoods but I liked how doubling the locked bremmel held with no give.

DanO and another place makes amsteel ones with a nite ize cam carabiner. I looked at the pictures and made my own. I'll probably use it next year after seeing a youtube video where they state that there HYS aluminum clip broke and their backpack dropped. I hang my bow on mine so any possible weakness like that is unacceptable. I'm not wrecking an expensive bow over a 20 dollar item.

I made a HYS strap per their video. I am not a fan of it at all. Super bulky to pack and adds very little versatility over a plain strap with a couple of hooks on it. Or pcord/amsteel like others have said.

I would ship the one I made to someone for $10. I don't suck at sewing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My first go I made one out of 550 cord and made one side of the loop slightly longer to make it easy to hook stuff to. I just loop the tag end through the end loop like you do with your tether and clip my pack to that so it stays tight. A couple hooks or carabiners and Bobs your uncle.

I didn't use it this year after I bought a HYS strap from the fellas at Tethrd. But I wouldn't hesitate using it again.

I've always liked just wrapping my lineman belt with s biners and a few small carabiners for hanging my gear.

Nothing extra to drag in the woods, nothing to forget or pack, once I'm at height and on my tether I hang it, then I undo my gear first before coming down so i have it when I'd need it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

@tcmetrohunter: Yeah, I actually starting tinkering with that concept tonight using 600 lb. polypropylene line with 550 paracord prusiks for adjustable hangers. I know it'd probably hold, but I wasn't confident trusting my scoped rifle to the paracord, so I clipped the climbing biner directly to the poly line and then clipped it into the gun sling. Definitely holding strong.

Here's what mine looks like. Nothing fancy but like I said it does the job.
77861b8bd541f7848a82f5e05f0a7f8c.jpg

Here's what mine looks like. Nothing fancy but like I said it does the job.
77861b8bd541f7848a82f5e05f0a7f8c.jpg

Just be careful if you have your bow hanging off one side to hold the girth hitch and then shift your pack to get something. It can cause the bow to slide down and possibly fall off of whatever hanger you are using. Probably obvious though. I barely caught a bow last season that was falling.

Last edited:
I made a copy of the HYS strap right down to making my own G-hook.

If you want some 1" strap cheap just use the straps off of some Harbor Freight etc. cheap ratchet or binder straps. You can usually get a 4 pack of 14 footers for $12 and cheaper if you use the coupons they send out. A single 14 foot would be enough and can be had for under $4.

Has anyone came up with an alternative to the g clip used on these? I'd like something that latches on with a wire gate or similar and then feeds onto the strap through the tri glide set up.....but overall is more robust, since there is at least one report of a break.

Any ideas for an alternative or DIY copycat of the Tethrd HYS Strap? I’m looking for a system just to hang a backpack and weapon. It looks like a great product and I’ve heard it highly recommended. I realize webbing and thread for stitches have a cost if I were to sew my own, but I wonder if it could be replicated for less than $38 (Tethrd cost + S&H).

View attachment 45082
A simple way to have the same affect would be jut to use another rope with an eye tied in one end. Just like a tether, and girth hitch it around the tree. From there you can tie a prusik hitch on the tag end of the rope to hold your backpack . the weight from the pack will keep enough tension and will hang on the tree. you can then use a s-biner to hang where its wrapped around the tree to hang your bow or rifle . plus you can anything else you want on it. at least thats what i use. I just use a utility rope from lowes that cost like 6 bucks for 50 feet for the girth hitch and paracord for my prusik for my pack. and buy a few s-biners . I think I have total of maybe 15 bucks invested . it works just fine for me

You can make or order one of these

or make one for a little less.

I made one with black and silver amsteel. It took less than an hour. If I had to do it over, I'd probably just order it. I did make it a bit longer though.

I will probably start using this again over the HYS strap because it gives you another high strength rescue option (I already carry a daisy chain in my pocket for this) and I think the camjam is stronger than a g clip.

Another idea... for $10, Amazon sells 2 daisy chain slings at 43” each. Using a small length of paracord I think I can link the slings together and then girth hitch one through the other, weighted by my pack. Might be a cheap way to replicate the more rigid loops of the HYS strap which stand off the tree trunk (easier to clip/detach carabiners on?) without any sewing. I guess I could always add a CamJam too if desired.
B88EB866-E9CD-4882-955B-86EE2A94BB0E.jpeg

Another idea... for $10, Amazon sells 2 daisy chain slings at 43” each. Using a small length of paracord I think I can link the slings together and then girth hitch one through the other, weighted by my pack. Might be a cheap way to replicate the more rigid loops of the HYS strap which stand off the tree trunk (easier to clip/detach carabiners on?) without any sewing. I guess I could always add a CamJam too if desired.
View attachment 45280
This straps will work but when you tighten it against the tree you'll find it's a PITA to put stuff through the loops. If you go that route I'd pre attach the biners or use the flat type hooks you can attach.

Back