• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alternative to Thermacell?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
In Maryland I only carried it while scouting last year, now that I'm on my quest to balance minimalist, the Thermacell is something I really want to leave if possible. I know I know, you boys from the south think Thermacell is the greatest thing in the world. But I really hate carrying it around and replacing the cartridges.

I'm thinking about just spraying repellants as I leave the car. Wife been using this 'organic' bug repellant on the kids made from lime juice and vinegar which I find pretty tolerant and effective. But never used it on the field yet. But I'm open to commercial product too.

I'm not adverse to wearing netting to cover my head and neck, and I'm usually long sleeves no matter what. So the only skin exposure would be my hand. Does anyone just suck it up and ignore the bugs?

Thought? concerns?

Suck it up is always an option. IMO the thermocell doesn't work very well anyway while moving. Permithrin on clothes and good to go.

I hunt public land in South Carolina low country which is about as hot and swampy and miserable as it gets like parts of FL and GA etc. Turkey season I have to have the T cell. Spray works but only for a little bit. T cell alone works but not full proof. I wouldn’t say just suck it up either because once you have that third or fourth bite on the back of your hand it’s like Chinese water torture mentally. I don’t know what release you use but you can always do a fingerless glove option and spray down with the organic you are speaking of. Try different options and see what works for your blood type and skin flavor they prefer up there.

I often suck in up and I'm in the South (GA). I wear long sleeves, pants, and thin gloves with some of the tips cut off for my release. These are all soaked in permethrin. I also use picaridin lotion repellent on my face and neck. There will definitely still be mosquitoes, but I don't think anything is foolproof.

Dogfennel plant offer relief in a pinch....break it off and crunch/smash it up to get the juices flowing and rub all over...u can also push it in the thermacell over the burner plate and that seems to kinda work a little

Do u have the holder/clip thing or do u just have the burner unit? I held of on getting the holder for a long time because I thinks it's overpriced.... finally broke down and got 1. It's way worth it. Before it's kinda a pain in the butt to figure out how to place it on ur gear or hang in the tree.

I use a bug head net and thin liner gloves when the bugs are bad

The southern guys will know what is best no doubt there. I use a Thermacell in spring gobbler here in PA and I always take it with on early season archery hunts. Not sure I could suck it up, not tough enough.

I often suck in up and I'm in the South (GA). I wear long sleeves, pants, and thin gloves with some of the tips cut off for my release. These are all soaked in permethrin. I also use picaridin lotion repellent on my face and neck. There will definitely still be mosquitoes, but I don't think anything is foolproof.

would you recommend?

the small bottle lotion, not the gallon bucket!

Last edited:
In Maryland I only carried it while scouting last year, now that I'm on my quest to balance minimalist, the Thermacell is something I really want to leave if possible. I know I know, you boys from the south think Thermacell is the greatest thing in the world. But I really hate carrying it around and replacing the cartridges.

I'm thinking about just spraying repellants as I leave the car. Wife been using this 'organic' bug repellant on the kids made from lime juice and vinegar which I find pretty tolerant and effective. But never used it on the field yet. But I'm open to commercial product too.

I'm not adverse to wearing netting to cover my head and neck, and I'm usually long sleeves no matter what. So the only skin exposure would be my hand. Does anyone just suck it up and ignore the bugs?

Thought? concerns?
Here in south Louisiana I don’t think theres a product on this planet that works for mosquitos as well as the therma cell, and even that isn’t full proof.

Do u have the holder/clip thing or do u just have the burner unit? I held of on getting the holder for a long time because I thinks it's overpriced.... finally broke down and got 1. It's way worth it. Before it's kinda a pain in the butt to figure out how to place it on ur gear or hang in the tree.

I use a bug head net and thin liner gloves when the bugs are bad

burner, it was not really user friendly. But then I went cheap too. The newer design do seem convenient.

I did not mind it so much when I had climber or hang on. but I can see it being another moving piece when I'm trying to reduce my setup.

I own several thermacells but hardly ever use them hunting. Mainly use them on the back porch or when out and about with my wife since DEET makes her melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

I generally rock 98% DEET. Comes in tiny bottles and is super-effective whether you're sitting or walking. A thermacell is about worthless if you're on-the-move. People say DEET smells but so does that thermacell despite the advertising. And if it's warm enough for bugs to be a problem it's warm enough for me to smell too.

As far as the natural repellents, every one I've tried is an absolute load of Martha Stewartesque, aromatherapy pyramid scheme, urban yuppie housewife feel-good BS. DEET may give me cancer when I get old, but 5 miles south of one of my hunting spots is a big hill with two graveyards full of two groups of settlers who tried to establish a town on that hill and all died off due to malaria. Call me shortsighted and hardheaded but I'll take the cancer juice.

I own several thermacells but hardly ever use them hunting. Mainly use them on the back porch or when out and about with my wife since DEET makes her melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

I generally rock 98% DEET. Comes in tiny bottles and is super-effective whether you're sitting or walking. A thermacell is about worthless if you're on-the-move. People say DEET smells but so does that thermacell despite the advertising. And if it's warm enough for bugs to be a problem it's warm enough for me to smell too.

As far as the natural repellents, every one I've tried is an absolute load of Martha Stewartesque, aromatherapy pyramid scheme, urban yuppie housewife feel-good BS. DEET may give me cancer when I get old, but 5 miles south of one of my hunting spots is a big hill with two graveyards full of two groups of settlers who tried to establish a town on that hill and all died off due to malaria. Call me shortsighted and hardheaded but I'll take the cancer juice.
U seen the lantern thermacell? That's what we use if we spending time outside around the house.
I also have that lantern warmed up for when I get out of the truck and getting everything ready to go hunting early in the morning

U seen the lantern thermacell? That's what we use if we spending time outside around the house.
I also have that lantern warmed up for when I get out of the truck and getting everything ready to go hunting early in the morning
I've looked at them. We bought like 8 of the handheld ones though when we had our outdoor wedding so it's hard to buy another one

I have a Thermocell and I don't think they work very well. I wear a scentlok full headnet and gloves even in the warm early season. I also have some No Stinkin Bugs insect repellent that I use that has a fresh earth smell. I spray it on my hands and rub them together and wipe my face/forehead with it before putting on the gloves and headnet. Works great but I can't seem to find it any where now so I'm gonna be screwed when I run out.

Dogfennel plant offer relief in a pinch....break it off and crunch/smash it up to get the juices flowing and rub all over...u can also push it in the thermacell over the burner plate and that seems to kinda work a little
Dogfennel? Sweet. Which one of us is going to start a "pods for a cause" but with dogfennel?

I would rather tote the extra ounces than risk blowing out a spot with foreign odors left on brush as I walked through or being picked off swatting at bugs. IMO the beauty of a Thermacell is I don't have to deploy it if things are not bad and the heated air/scent rises. Additionally, when it is gone ie; you carry it out with you its gone versus spraying and that scent whether natural or not is flying and sticking. You'll get away with it with some deer but the mature ones a tendency to vacate the area. I generally muscle through the bugs until I get settled up the tree and then turn it on.

Theramcell in a holster clipped to my pack with a small carabiner. Repel has a squirt on that is lemon/eucalyptus that works pretty well but it has a very strong aroma. Not unpleasant to me but very strong. Havent used it on a hunt cause that's what thermacell is for but it might be an option for those not wanting to mess with a thermacell or those that dont have real skeeter populations in the bajillions all big enough to stand flatfooted and breed a layin hen.

Back