• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Am I the jerk?

Wyatt_burp

So hunting public land, earliest you can sign in is 1 hour before shooting light, shooting light is 1/2 hour before sunrise. I sign in 3 minutes after the earliest, and of course 4 people are already signed in, one is signed in 5 minutes after me. I haven't seen any of these find sportmen. Anyway, the good spot at this public is a decent hike, and I normally see other folks, but never in the spot I like. Also today is a junior hunt day, so orange required no matter what you are hunting.

I hike to my tree with a red headlamp, hear a songbird, start getting ready to single stick, have a buck grunt at me, at this point I take the brighter green light of my quiver and shine around, I dont see anything, I dont hear anything. It is still pitch black with 45 til shooting light, I start to climb, 3 single sticks up my headlamp dies, do the next 2, mount platform, pull up backpack and bow.

10 minutes later I hear a cough, another hunter is 10 feet off the ground 30 yards away, no orange. Now I'm not able to climb down, and move to a different tree without goofing up the morning hunt, so I am resigned to only shoot in 2 of my lanes where he doesn't or wouldn't have a shot.

Wouldn't yall have shined a light, or said the words "hey there" "too close" move away from me jackwagon".

Songbird whistle and a buck grunt. No light, no words.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah. I was up in a tree last year and after first light I saw a ground blind about 25 yards away. I doubt anyone was in it as there were no cars around the trail and this was “back there”. But I’m whistling a few times. Nothing. Later that day I met 2 Hunters while walking out. One asked me if that was me redlight hiking in this am. So he wasn’t in that blind but I walked in front of him at some point. Or near at least. I felt bad but sometimes public be like that.

Jerky McJerkface’s are out there. And sometimes it’s you. And you don’t even know it.

But that dude? Maybe he tried...but not too hard it seems. If that’s me. It’s already prolly a bust. Climbing down makes a bust of an am for both of ya. If ya stay put and a nice buck walks out. Then you get to met the jerk who shoots at your deer or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So hunting public land, earliest you can sign in is 1 hour before shooting light, shooting light is 1/2 hour before sunrise. I sign in 3 minutes after the earliest, and of course 4 people are already signed in, one is signed in 5 minutes after me. I haven't seen any of these find sportmen. Anyway, the good spot at this public is a decent hike, and I normally see other folks, but never in the spot I like. Also today is a junior hunt day, so orange required no matter what you are hunting.

I hike to my tree with a red headlamp, hear a songbird, start getting ready to single stick, have a buck grunt at me, at this point I take the brighter green light of my quiver and shine around, I dont see anything, I dont hear anything. It is still pitch black with 45 til shooting light, I start to climb, 3 single sticks up my headlamp dies, do the next 2, mount platform, pull up backpack and bow.

10 minutes later I hear a cough, another hunter is 10 feet off the ground 30 yards away, no orange. Now I'm not able to climb down, and move to a different tree without goofing up the morning hunt, so I am resigned to only shoot in 2 of my lanes where he doesn't or wouldn't have a shot.

Wouldn't yall have shined a light, or said the words "hey there" "too close" move away from me jackwagon".

Songbird whistle and a buck grunt. No light, no words.

Wow. You are very stealthy. Maybe he was sleeping when you got there. Were you at least facing in different directions so you could cover the area 360? I have been battling this question several times this year. I don't know who has preferential rights.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say so. I’ve got public across the street from me, and usually beat the guys who drive into the woods. If I’m in a tree and someone is headed my way, I will usually flash my headlamp at them so hopefully we can all spread out. I wouldn’t expect someone to pick up on a whistle, and I sure as hell wouldn’t grunt.

Actually now that I think about it, I know the trails so well most of the time I don’t use a light going in. Kinda thinking i should reconsider that for safety.

At that point you should pack and roll. Sorry bro, he made it before you. Have had the same thing happen (except for a "sign in") so I got gone. Get at least a couple hundred yards away anyhow.

Forgive my ignorance but you actually have to sign in somewhere to hunt public land? I have never heard that before as I hunt public land all the time and never experienced that as I park my truck off side of road and walk in area and I would’ve cough or motion him that your in a tree personally and he should move as it took you some time to get up and if he was there before you he would have seen light and heard you going up and should have said something then. Hope you shoot a huge swamp donkey out from under him. He should have his orange on

I wouldn’t say so. I’ve got public across the street from me, and usually beat the guys who drive into the woods. If I’m in a tree and someone is headed my way, I will usually flash my headlamp at them so hopefully we can all spread out. I wouldn’t expect someone to pick up on a whistle, and I sure as hell wouldn’t grunt.

Actually now that I think about it, I know the trails so well most of the time I don’t use a light going in. Kinda thinking i should reconsider that for safety.
I would definitely use a light in the dark.

Forgive my ignorance but you actually have to sign in somewhere to hunt public land? I have never heard that before as I hunt public land all the time and never experienced that as I park my truck off side of road and walk in area and I would’ve cough or motion him that your in a tree personally and he should move as it took you some time to get up and if he was there before you he would have seen light and heard you going up and should have said something then. Hope you shoot a huge swamp donkey out from under him. He should have his orange on
Yeah, central maryland, sign in, only 1 parking lot. Far cry from my PA public roots.

The grunt threw me off, I saw an 8 point crossing the road driving in, so I looked for a second and thought better get up this tree.

If you are set up early in darkness and someone comes in close or begins setting up nearby, it's in your best interst to let them know you're there. Whistle and/or hit with bright light for a second usually gets them to move along. If they set up nearby anyway, get down and maybe while exiting explain what they did wrong.

Yeah. I was up in a tree last year and after first light I saw a ground blind about 25 yards away. I doubt anyone was in it as there were no cars around the trail and this was “back there”. But I’m whistling a few times. Nothing. Later that day I met 2 Hunters while walking out. One asked me if that was me redlight hiking in this am. So he wasn’t in that blind but I walked in front of him at some point. Or near at least. I felt bad but sometimes public be like that.

Jerky McJerkface’s are out there. And sometimes it’s you. And you don’t even know it.

But that dude? Maybe he tried...but not too hard it seems. If that’s me. It’s already prolly a bust. Climbing down makes a bust of an am for both of ya. If ya stay put and a nice buck walks out. Then you get to met the jerk who shoots at your deer or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is exactly what I was thinking, climb down and ruin both our mornings, or potentially get in a fistfight when he realizes ill have the first opportunity on a buck...

The grunt threw me off, I saw an 8 point crossing the road driving in, so I looked for a second and thought better get up this tree.

I would have thought the same thing!

He beat you to the spot. Climb down and move on. He's probably thinking you are a jerk for setting up on him. Happened to me once so I moved and found one of the best spots ever. If he hadn't been there first I never would have even looked there. Sh-- happens sometimes for the better.

I am planning to go to my hunting area this afternoon. If I see a certain black Silverado I will drive on to a different area. I am in no mood for another shouting match. If it turns out to be like the checkout at Walmart, I'll just head home and wait for the next weekday.

He beat you to the spot. Climb down and move on. He's probably thinking you are a jerk for setting up on him. Happened to me once so I moved and found one of the best spots ever. If he hadn't been there first I never would have even looked there. Sh-- happens sometimes for the better.
Yeah I get he beat me in, why would you not shine a light or speak or cough or make a human noise until I was up the dang tree though. That's what drives me nuts, I'm single sticking with a shikar mini and a webbing aider. It isnt a walk in the park.

Yeah I get he beat me in, why would you not shine a light or speak or cough or make a human noise until I was up the dang tree though. That's what drives me nuts, I'm single sticking with a shikar mini and a webbing aider. It isnt a walk in the park.

Keep an eye out on utube.... he probably filmed u and ur weird hunting/climbing

Back