• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Am I the only one? VXR vs Axius

Jrain904

SH Member
Last year I needed a new bow, been shooting a prime ion for years. I wanted a short axle to axle so I only had two real choices at my local pro shop. The Matthew's VXR or Hoyt axius alpha. I shot both and to me the VXR was WAY harder to draw. I shoot 60lbs and was able to max out the hoyt at 62 or 63lbs and draw easily straight back but with the vxr needed it to be around 55lbs to do the same. I dont shoot a bow for hunting unless I can draw straight back without needing to lift the bow at all.

I also really like that the hoyt still has a yoke with the split string. This lets me just tie a knot at the end of my drop away and wedge it in the yoke, no need to tie it into the string. Love that I can easily fix in the field without a bow press.

That being said I feel as if I've read a hundred reviews online and it seems like no one else chose the axius alpha. Any other alpha shooters out there?

I had a similar experience but not with the alpha. It was all the mid range bows I tried the Matthews, bowtech, hoyt and bear. I had them set the draw weight the same on all of them and the hoyt powermax was by far the easiest to draw. So I bought the hoyt.

I think it’s Mathews aggressive cam style. I have a Darton just 1 pound under my vertix and the Darton feels like it’s 7 pounds lighter to draw.

Was the VXR set up with the 60% or 85% cam mods. That can affect the feel of the draw cycle. Regardless, whatever bow is the most comfortable to you is the right one because everybody draws and shoots differently. It is just like shoes. Nike and New Balance both make good shoes but it’s your feet that have to wear them so make sure they fit comfortable.

The vxr is stiff but smooth all the way through. So it does feel a little harder in the draw.

Back