• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ambush Teeth Mod From Andrae D'acquisto

stone1

Hi Guys,

I was talking with Andrae on Facebook and brought up the issue of the Ambush making noise on harder bark trees. Within the next couple days, Andrae plans on making of the video for this process, but essentially you grind the Ambush's teeth down to a 45 degree from the top down. This allows the platform to cam over considerably easier, bite harder, and does not allow the teeth to pivot in the tree when weight is placed on different portions of the platform thus stopping the popping and creaking noise.

I've already done this to my platform with a dremel and hand file (Andrae recommened an angle grinder). It definitely was not a fun process but the Ambush feels like a completely different platform now. Cams over with 1/3rd the effort and bites unreal. A lot more of the platform bites into the tree now so I do feel it is a bit more stable as well.

Here's the response from Andrae.

Ambush.PNG

Here's my platform after doing the mod.

ambush 2..jpg

i think they should make it in the factory like that. its crazy to pay all of that money for a platform and then you need to do a crazy mod like that yourself if you ask me

I made a statement last week talking about their lack of R/D of their products. That is an exact example of what I was referring to. I noticed this while hunting last year. It was a concern but I didn't want to go grinding on a $300 platform. I am assuming he will make the adjustment on them in the future.

No disrespect intended --but this post was to inform people who use an ambush platform and weren't included in the message chain; not compare to another product.

I don't think he was comparing..

If we all remember, when we first got the predator, we had to go in and wax the bolt connecting the platform and the post..

i think they should make it in the factory like that. its crazy to pay all of that money for a platform and then you need to do a crazy mod like that yourself if you ask me

Odds are they're going to change the current model pretty shortly and that will be the new normal. With that said it's not like 90% of the people on this forum don't mod their gear already. Realistically you just added another mod to the list of mods you will do anyway.

I think part of the problem is they're perfecting the process as the product is available to the consumer; at a high price at that.

In my opinion, If it were up to me waiting another year or so for them to release this platform or for it to be in its current state and require mods, I will pick make it available now.

Just my take.

Man, you pay $300 for a premium platform then you have to fix it so it works almost as good as one that sells for over a hundred dollars less. I fail to see the attraction.

It does have a different shape compared to other options on the market; the main benefit is how your climbing method integrates into your platform. I have not found a more comfortable platform/stick combo then LWCG. Nothing stacks tighter, consistent with minimal effort. Is it worth the cost? That depends how much money you have I suppose.

They need to discontinue the ambush. Redesign it. Test it. Test it some more. Then release it. Lots of rapid changes and redesigns as ish hits the fan. Bad business model...

I do like my 1.0 and the compact sticks are sweet but this platform..... yikes!

If you look back at the original pictures of the ambush from the prototype the teeth were on a 45° angle and I have had this conversation with Andre also. He’s well aware of the issue and has been for awhile. It’s an extra machining process so I don’t expect to see it anytime soon unless the price goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look back at the original pictures of the ambush from the prototype the teeth were on a 45° angle and I have had this conversation with Andre also. He’s well aware of the issue and has been for awhile. It’s an extra machining process so I don’t expect to see it anytime soon unless the price goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the prototype was "correct", but it was manufactured improperly? Furthermore, they went on to sell the improper platforms and Andre was "well aware of the issue and has been for a while."? I'm not trying to bash, just wanting to make sure I understand the order of operations.

So the prototype was "correct", but it was manufactured improperly? Furthermore, they went on to sell the improper platforms and Andre was "well aware of the issue and has been for a while."? I'm not trying to bash, just wanting to make sure I understand the order of operations.

The prototype is not correct, it is a completely different platform. The teeth were more tapered but they were not tapered to a point. The problem would have been the same. They have been aware of the problem; not aware of the solution. They have now found a solution. Hopefully it will be addressed in a manner other than needing to cut your platform but time will tell.

I don't really pay attention to store bought gear like this cause I won't pay those prices but this is B.S..... For the price of this thing and the "legacy" with the lone wolf name u should never have to take a power tool to a production anything....I would understand if it was just us saddlers modifying a diy but u guys are shelling out serious cash for this thing and I really blown away reading this....

Back