• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Blue Tether??

Hey, this is my first post here I was just wondering if anyone has ever used Amsteel blue as a tether?? Ive got more than 50ft of it and was wondering if anyone has used it as a tether before and if so whats the pros and cons to it? besides it being extremely strong. I haven't tried it yet but was wanting to ask before trying anything

Hey there, welcome to the site! There are a lot of threads on this if you search. Its definitely a mixed bags of opinions. It has a very low melting point and sterling does not recognize this as an acceptable use. There are a few brave souls who use it though!

Hey there, welcome to the site! There are a lot of threads on this if you search. Its definitely a mixed bags of opinions. It has a very low melting point and sterling does not recognize this as an acceptable use. There are a few brave souls who use it though!
Thanks that means a lot ill do a search and see

There’s better things to use. Amsteel tends to fray after rubbing on bark. That and there’s safety concerns.

Back when I contemplated using it, there wasn't a good way to hook to it. I even bought 1/2" and tried a ropeman on it and it just slid. However now with the advancement of full bury and continuous loop amsteel being used as a prusic, i think there's some potential. I use a daisy chain girth hitched and connected to my rch as a backup. If one sticking and rappelling wasn't so great, I'd be messing with amsteel again.

It definitely frays quick

This has been my experience with amsteel as well. I eliminated all amsteel from my set up and its much easier to assess rope conditions every hunt now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow ive got ropes from my first conversion to amsteel years ago, looks great. You guys using amsteel blue or Chinese winch rope?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-185233_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121-185233_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Back