• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Bowstring

gumby

Needing a bowstring today, too lazy to go get or order one, so I made one out of Amsteel, 1/8 I think. To my surprise it turned out good and I like it. shot it bout 25 times with no problems. I'm sure this may not be too cool but for bout $2 it works and looks good. Would make a good backup at least.

What bow are you shooting that string with?
Is it fast flight friendly?
How does Amsteel compare to some of the low stretch strings as far as being hard on limb tips?
Amsteel could very well be very similar to fast flight but I would want to be sure before I strung it on my bow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've thought about trying it too! I have an old Ben Pearson that might be in the running since one of the limb tips has a little crack anyways.

If it's an older bow and has a cracked tip I wouldn't use dyneema, unless of course you just want to see what happens when the tip breaks. :)
Yeah, it's been refinished by someone else and basically junk so I was going to use it to test it out (with safety glasses of course) and some partial draws. Sometimes I like to live life dangerously.

I've heard some conflicting information on fast flight strings and that guys have gotten them to work with no adverse effect on older bows by adding bulk to the loops. Is it an issue of smaller diameter material or the fact the dyneema doesn't have the dynamic stretch? I'd assume once any other string was "broken in" there wouldn't be much stretch either? It seems like amsteel would be easy to add a little bulk to the loops considering it's a hollow braid and a guy could just cut a short section of amsteel, feed it through then make your locked brummel loops for a little extra bulk at the tips.

Last edited:
What bow are you shooting that string with?
Is it fast flight friendly?
How does Amsteel compare to some of the low stretch strings as far as being hard on limb tips?
Amsteel could very well be very similar to fast flight but I would want to be sure before I strung it on my bow.

Bear Kodiak magnum, had it a while. Equipment lives a hard life at my house.

I was under the impression that dyneema strings are not compatible with older bows.
No?

Tom, I have been shooting FF material on old bows for 15 plus years with not one issue. If they have Fiberglass tips I’ll run FF. I use TS1 Plus, one I can’t remember and Trophy. I do pad the loops but only a couple strands.

Tom, I have been shooting FF material on old bows for 15 plus years with not one issue. If they have Fiberglass tips I’ll run FF. I use TS1 Plus, one I can’t remember and Trophy. I do pad the loops but only a couple strands.
Thanks. That's comforting to know.
Can you explain what you mean by "pad the loops but only a couple strands"? Pad the actual string or pad the limb nocks?

Thanks. That's comforting to know.
Can you explain what you mean by "pad the loops but only a couple strands"? Pad the actual string or pad the limb nocks?
Not to hijack Heydeerman's post but you add material to the loops to make them a larger diameter so they don't cut into the string nocks. I add a few extra strands to each loop tapering them down in length so they blend in well when making a flemish twist string.

Not to hijack Heydeerman's post but you add material to the loops to make them a larger diameter so they don't cut into the string nocks. I add a few extra strands to each loop tapering them down in length so they blend in well when making a flemish twist string.
So padding is done when the string is made? Not something that is done with a pre-made string...flemish string of course.

So padding is done when the string is made? Not something that is done with a pre-made string...flemish string of course.

From my understanding and how I've done it, yes. I don't believe there is a product out there that allows you to add more bulk or padding to the string loops once already twisted but that would be very handy if such a thing existed! A lightweight reinforcement to the nock ends might be an option on older bows too but I'm unaware of anything like that.

So, do you bremel lock the amsteel ends for loops?
Yes and by bow string design the ends are, well 1/8 in dia. and seem softer. So to be clear if I had a thousand dollar bow I might buy a $40 string but one I just want to shoot for fun, naw, $2 sounds better.

You can wrap the loops with yarn and is a form of "padding" much like serving loops in an endless string.

I thought I had seen a reference to creep with Dyneema.

Edit: More info.

Last edited:
Back