• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

amsteel CRUZR adjustable bridge, not very adjustable?

parsnip

Hi All,

I've got a Cruzr saddle that I love. I got the adjustable bridge.

Breaking that prussic to get it to adjust is really hard. I basically have to push the knot open, with no tension on the bridge at all, and then I can barely get it to slide through. I undid the prussic, and redid it with just two turns (with the stopper knot) and it is still really hard. Any tips? Is there a better material for the continuous loop than the amsteel? I DRT and SRT, and use the rope I climb on as a tether. It is important to me to be able to go from short bridge climbing to long bridge for hunting, and back to short bridge again for rappel. I thought this amsteel adjustability thing would nail it for me, but it is a serious PIA. I find myself using my backup lineman's belt I have in case I get in a jam, just so I can reduce tension on the bridge and adjust it.

Any tips?

It is a stiff adjustment. I typically release tension on the bridge, twist or bend the prusik a few times adjust and then add pressure. I think this is because of Amsteel. It’s bites hard.

The amsteel adjustable bridge from Cruzr is a lot softer than the Triad bridge but the twist method with weight off of the bridge works on both.

would it bite less hard w/ less loops (ie, going from 3 loop prussic to two, or even 1?). Obviously I don't want a failure. or is there a better rope material for the prussic?

OP, I have the same saddle. It's easy to switch to Oplux bridge and TRC prusik, and a lot of people have done that on various saddles. It is not super easy to adjust, but can be done every time in 10 seconds.

Last edited:
would it bite less hard w/ less loops (ie, going from 3 loop prussic to two, or even 1?). Obviously I don't want a failure. or is there a better rope material for the prussic?
I would be leary of reducing Prusik loops. You would want to get some better expertise. Some say four loops to as many as you can get. The bridge is a lifeline, I would err on the side of caution. Make sure you have your stopper knot in place. If you do anything, I’m sure you do a lot of testing at ground level. Raisins points out a good option with Oplux or Resc Tech.

I'd rather my bridge adjustment be a little tougher as opposed to a chance of slipping under load. As the others said, take the load off and twist the prussic. It will move.

Great. Thanks. Part of me is wondering if more loops might even make it easier, as the "cinch" will be spread out across more surface. I dunno. Appreciate the feedback/advice on this.

Twist the prusik loops and it should loosen up but you need to take a little weight off of it. That's what I do .
X2. I would not change the wraps on the knot. And, actually I would rather have it harder to loosen than easier. I also do what KYRanger and others suggest and it works fine.

I’ve been looking everywhere for a Kong dong. @DanO doesn’t even have em...

Jerry at Cruzr looked at some pics and it turns out my Prusik loop is too long. I don’t think it messes w the tight grip but it does get caught in the Biner when I have a short bridge for ascent or rappel. Sending me a new one. Killer customer service.

I’ve been looking everywhere for a Kong dong. @DanO doesn’t even have em...

Jerry at Cruzr looked at some pics and it turns out my Prusik loop is too long. I don’t think it messes w the tight grip but it does get caught in the Biner when I have a short bridge for ascent or rappel. Sending me a new one. Killer customer service.

Brother, this is the wrong forum if you’re looking for a “Kong dong”

Is there a different Prusik that could work on it and be a little easier to work with? Also: for safety I end the bridge in a poachers knot to the bridge loop, so the prusik has a backup.

Is there a different Prusik that could work on it and be a little easier to work with? Also: for safety I end the bridge in a poachers knot to the bridge loop, so the prusik has a backup.
A mechanical ascender would probably be the easiest to move but I don’t know one that will work with amsteel

Back