• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel for cam cleat

tider

I'm getting amsteel for my Dano 1 stick.

I'm planning on using 1/4” amsteel full bury. I know you usually get twice the length you want as a finished length.

What total length would you order and how are you attaching the amsteel to the stick/ cam cleat?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start with 16ft. That gives 1 ft for a 6" loop to connect to the stick, full 7ft bury and a ft for shrinkage on the none buried side.

May I ask why full bury? The cam cleat bites 1/4 single great. I used it all last year, all weather and I weighed 260.

I mounted it by drilling a hole the the stick side, just below the cam cleat, lined that hole with heavy rubber tubing and tan the amsteel through with a stopper knot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm thinking of a smaller diameter for the full bury. This will be my first time fooling with amsteel.

I was just wanting to make sure the amsteel was sturdy enough to bite good in the cleat.

Ya, if you stepped down to 3/16, that might warrant a full bury. But your not really gaining anything.

Good luck! Messing with amsteel will suck you in!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been wanting to get in the amsteel game for a few years, but haven't taken the time to fool with it. Ever since G2 came out with his instructional video

How are you securing it to your stick ?

Never mind. I just saw it in your earlier response.

Thanks

Good post if anyone else is interested in doing the same project.

Last edited:
@tider 1/4 Amsteel with a full bury will not fit in that Harken 150. 3/16 on a full bury will. I currently use 7/64 with a full burry on my cam cleat, works fine. Not saying you should. If you are set on a full bury go with 1/8 or 3/16. If not just use 1/4 but don't do a full bury.

@tider 1/4 Amsteel with a full bury will not fit in that Harken 150. 3/16 on a full bury will. I currently use 7/64 with a full burry on my cam cleat, works fine. Not saying you should. If you are set on a full bury go with 1/8 or 3/16. If not just use 1/4 but don't do a full bury.

Thanks. I ordered 16’ of 7/64 last night.

Do y'all have homemade fid tools or have y'all bought a kit

Back