• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel for tree stands

Matki15

A man I know was a fabricator for 35 years and built several lightweight stands for him to use hunting back in the swamps around here. Since he’s gotten older he decided to give them to me to use. I haven’t put a scale on them yet but they all probably weigh 6 or 7 pounds, not as lightweight as a saddle but it’ll work for what I want. He used chain to hang the stand, and that works but obviously the chain adds weight and is really loud trying to set it up on the tree. I’m also looking into replacing the cables supporting the platform since they’re rather old. Has anyone used amsteel to hang a stand or to support the platform?5DD12C65-F198-4076-AD5C-7555B09FAEC9.jpegECB15E9C-B378-409F-9846-D75A03057490.jpegBA823EF0-E2B7-40C2-8079-BC0A15B0ABCE.jpeg

I personally would not be afraid of it, but that is just me. Others may have a more credible reason not to do. I would replace them every year if I were going to do though. Really like the idea of replacing the support cables with amsteel.

The
I personally would not be afraid of it, but that is just me. Others may have a more credible reason not to do. I would replace them every year if I were going to do though. Really like the idea of replacing the support cables with amsteel.
The only issue I can see as of right now is trying to get the stand tight on the tree. I use cranford steps to climb and the whoopie slings never seems to get super tight. I’m leaning towards a daisy chain but still not sure

The
The only issue I can see as of right now is trying to get the stand tight on the tree. I use cranford steps to climb and the whoopie slings never seems to get super tight. I’m leaning towards a daisy chain but still not sure
I'd do a daisy chain for the stand hanging part. Short loops so you can get it tight as possible. Have fun making that lol

I would use aluminum flatbar for the platform supports over Amsteel or that cable with clamps, save the AMSTEEL for around the tree.

tubular webbing and an OCB might be the ticket for the stand to tree portion, should allow you to tension it enough for the spikes to bite good and still save weight on the chains. I think amsteel on the platform support would be a good fit, after all amsteel is designed to replace steel cable,

I've been working on retrofitting one of my stands. I should say I was working on it then kinda put it down when Rona hit and I started working 60 hours a week. Biggest thing in my mind is splicing in some kind of grommet to avoid fitting to any sharp edges.

A man I know was a fabricator for 35 years and built several lightweight stands for him to use hunting back in the swamps around here. Since he’s gotten older he decided to give them to me to use. I haven’t put a scale on them yet but they all probably weigh 6 or 7 pounds, not as lightweight as a saddle but it’ll work for what I want. He used chain to hang the stand, and that works but obviously the chain adds weight and is really loud trying to set it up on the tree. I’m also looking into replacing the cables supporting the platform since they’re rather old. Has anyone used amsteel to hang a stand or to support the platform?View attachment 27999View attachment 28000View attachment 27998

Yes u can use whoopie slings to make adjustable side cables, so u can level platform

I have some pics in my phone somewhere

I’ll look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working on retrofitting one of my stands. I should say I was working on it then kinda put it down when Rona hit and I started working 60 hours a week. Biggest thing in my mind is splicing in some kind of grommet to avoid fitting to any sharp edges.
That grommet part is what’s giving me some trouble, right now I’m thinking of running some eye bolts through the hole the cable runs through now and using that

tubular webbing and an OCB might be the ticket for the stand to tree portion, should allow you to tension it enough for the spikes to bite good and still save weight on the chains. I think amsteel on the platform support would be a good fit, after all amsteel is designed to replace steel cable,
I thought about using an OCB, I just can’t seem to find one with loops on both ends to attach to the stand on either side

That grommet part is what’s giving me some trouble, right now I’m thinking of running some eye bolts through the hole the cable runs through now and using that

Eye bolts will work

We used to thread the chain on our old chain style hang on stands through old 3/4" fire hose and left a tag end free for the approximate diameter of tree we hunted on. If you buy some cheapo kernmantle rope you can pull the inner strands out of the rope and thread your chain through the outer "sheath" making your chain much quieter if you didn't want to modify it that much. That wire rope (cables) will last a lifetime as long as there are no nicks or rusty sections. Maybe consider putting 1 more wire rope clamp on each tag end for a little extra insurance. Using amsteel for the platform supports does seem like a cool idea though, you could level the platform pretty easily with some daisy chains or whoopie sling style.

I used an amsteel whoopie sling to hang a small platform I made. I just looped in some S-hooks to connect to the stand. It was lighter and quieter than the chain and it held solid. My concern with a hang-on would be leaving it in the tree and the possibility of critters chewing on the ropes.

Yes u can use whoopie slings to make adjustable side cables, so u can level platform

I have some pics in my phone somewhere

I’ll look

I did this for my lonewolf hang on. it was the "O.G" so no adjustabililty. worked like a charm. bought new cables from lonewolf eventually. but honestly, i think i liked the amsteel better.

I did this for my lonewolf hang on. it was the "O.G" so no adjustabililty. worked like a charm. bought new cables from lonewolf eventually. but honestly, i think i liked the amsteel better.

I have an OG also

Use a whoopie sling & it will have leveling adjustability without needing a newer adjustable slot seat post

Works great

I have an OG also

Use a whoopie sling & it will have leveling adjustability without needing a newer adjustable slot seat post

Works great

Yea i think i might switch it back. What diameter amsteel did u use. All I have left is 7/64

I used an amsteel whoopie sling to hang a small platform I made. I just looped in some S-hooks to connect to the stand. It was lighter and quieter than the chain and it held solid. My concern with a hang-on would be leaving it in the tree and the possibility of critters chewing on the ropes.
I dont plan on leaving this stand in a tree, just going to hang and hunt on some spots I have where a saddle works but isn’t ideal

Yea i think i might switch it back. What diameter amsteel did u use. All I have left is 7/64

Pretty sure I used 1/4 but possibly 3/16

Since 7/64 has less strands I go to 1/8 as my minimum for anything

Yea I've been hesitant to use it for anything. 50 ft collecting dust

Back