• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel "fuzzy" from wear

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
Hey guys,

After a season of using my climbing sticks with the Amsteel rope mod, the Amsteel does have a fuzzy appearance. Just a heads up. I'm not sure it's a big deal as there are no cuts or anything like that. Some of the literature says that it's a fuzzy appearance is a sign of wear, but doesn't mention anything about when to replace.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah that scares me a little bit about using it on climbing sticks. The trees are abrasive and amsteel I don’t think it hold up well to abrasive materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the only reason I wouldn't choose Amsteel Blue for climbing sticks. However, even if you had to change the ropes every couple seasons, that's not that big of a deal I suppose.

Amsteel really shines when abrasion isn't a factor.

That's the only reason I wouldn't choose Amsteel Blue for climbing sticks. However, even if you had to change the ropes every couple seasons, that's not that big of a deal I suppose.

Amsteel really shines when abrasion isn't a factor.
What would be the best rope to use, im about to mod my leverage sticks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

@Rod Johnson I would probably use a 6mm or 7mm prussic/accessory cord. When I did the rope conversion on my LW sticks, I bought the 30' Muddy Safeline and cut it in three pieces. It worked great. I would guess that's an 8mm or 9mm rope.

@bowhunter15 what do you think about using prussic cord in place of Amsteel? Are you going to stick with the Amsteel or is the abrasion too bad?
Prusik cord should work. I'm testing some 6mm and 7mm accessory cord to see which size will work the best on my custom versa buttons. It'll be too bad if I can't splice the loops and have to knot.

Something with a technora sheath should work well. I've even seen ropes of that construction in good colors from Bluewater and Sterling. But I can't find them by the foot and they aren't cheap.

I’ve used hollow braid polyester on one of my xop platforms not sure how it compares to accessory cord as far as weight goes. But it splices easily and is designed to be abrasive resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back