• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Guy/Red Beard Workhorse

tcmetrohunter

I had previously asked if anyone had gotten any hands on with the Workhorse and being that there wasn't much out there from anyone who had purchased one I figured I'd take the plunge and see how I like it. First off if you order one watch @Red Beard 's video on how to put it together. Better yet maybe watch it before because if I had done so I would have seen that it doesn't come with the CamJam or the tubular webbing piece. I reached out to the @Sam Switalski through FB and he was quick to respond and answer my questions.

First when you get it you will see why watching the video on assembling is a good idea. It comes in pieces which look like a puzzle but red beards video is clear and easy to follow.

Secondly I strongly suggest you hang the platform/stick you're going to put it on in front of you before installing the steps. I had the two loops hooked even on a cabinet and had to remove the steps to put them in the right spot after realizing I them in wrong. With the stick/platform in front of me I was able to thread it through the slanted scout, secure the two ends with a small carabiner, and see where I needed the steps. I chose to put them 15" apart which should be good for me and it makes all my steps equal on the aider/workhorse and the last step up to the scout. Also the soft shackle is a different design than in the video but it works the same way so don't worry about that when you see it.

I mentioned the kit doesn't come with the CamJam or the tubular webbing. I'm using the 1/16"-3/16" CamJam and I had some heat shrink tubing that I chose to use in place of the tubular webbing.

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet being it's cold and raining/snowing here. That and I have all summer to test since my season is long over.

In closing I'm really impressed with the workmanship and thought that has gone into this thing. Can't wait for some decent weather to practice climbing with it. Now I just need to decide on a cam cleat for my mini shikar to make this thing a good option for one sticking with it or my predator or a 20" helium. Really like how it gives me options over a basic aider!
e6247370ed13359661d7b8c856074f95.jpg
4404163be739b49757bf7fd58ba2d61d.jpg
3bc1318d8ef51b72f2213974a5d8c0cb.jpg
73df43bc3aac85845f7688ec71cded10.jpg
cf2515d500a4060847701ce3bf45983d.jpg

Saddle hunting is dangerous. People have died doing it. Know that if you hunt from an elevated position, there is a higher percentage of you not coming home to your loved ones than if you stay on the ground. Take the words/ideas of dudes on the internet with a grain of salt; very few of them are experts. I am not an expert. DO NOT run out and climb 20' to attempt what you see below. Some of the concepts you see below may be physically demanding in nature. DO NOT attempt what you see without assessing your own physical abilities and limitations. Think about it. Test it. Proceed with caution.

Love it buddy! Looks like you nailed it.

Think one of the nice things about the workhorse is that you can use it on just about any platform or stick.

Last edited:
I bought it a month or so ago and have been using it on my Solo Scout platform. I use the single stick method with just using the Solo Scout to get up the tree like Red Beard. The Workhorse is awesome and works like a charm. I love how it basically folds up into nothing when you are packing it around. Great product!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Love it buddy! Looks like you nailed it.

Think one of the nice things about the workhorse is that you can use it on just about any platform or stick.
@Red Beard

Just saw the work horse, and I've got a couple of questions:

Could you post a link to your aider climbing vid? I saw it once

Hell, could you do a review of your rig?

Thanks in advance,

JTF

I can't think of a better system for being a mobile hunter on public land using production equipment that u can just buy, where drill and bolts aren't legal... Bonus that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

I thought I would follow up with my progress so far. I recently bought a solo scout from the classifieds here and boy howdy does that thing cam down nice and tight to the tree. Hoping to have some time this weekend to play with the SS and my mini Shikar with the angled scout and the new cam cleat. Both will be tested with the workhorse of course. I'll circle back around after some testing.

Had a little free time today and got to test both the methods from the ground up to platform. Didn't do any actual climbing though because I don't have any really suitable trees in the yard.

First impressions are I really like both setups. I'll list my thoughts in an effort to make it easier to read.

-Mini Shikar w/ cam cleat and angled scout
*Likes*
Distance away from the tree for platform and climbing
Cam cleat
Solid on the tree

*Dislikes*
Size when packed up
Fiddling with standoffs

-Solo Scout angled
*Likes*
Packability
Cam buckle allows for adding steps
Solid on the tree

*Dislikes*
Close to the tree
Cam buckle strap

So that's my thoughts. Ask away if you have any questions. At some point I'm going to actually try one sticking with them and I'll report back.
ef2f9628afe586b29508f5398497e235.jpg
bec5011eebf1632b73178e25ae356aeb.jpg

Question if you don’t mind me asking about the stick. When you ordered and received the mini shikar did it come with fixed stand offs or adjustable? Did you get a step ? Also did you get a versa button or sail cleat? Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question if you don’t mind me asking about the stick. When you ordered and received the mini shikar did it come with fixed stand offs or adjustable? Did you get a step ? Also did you get a versa button or sail cleat? Thanks for the response.

For sure bud. I bought the stick second hand. My understanding is the stick sold with one step, versa button , and adjustable/rotating stand offs. The scout platform replaces a step depending on where you put it which in my case is the bottom but I could swap it out with the step and put it on the top.

Hope this helps!

Yup that’s what I was thinking I should have received.

I have a work horse on order and was looking for the videos on how to assemble it. Looks like @Red Beard videos are not available. Any know where I can find more info on this? Thanks!

I have a work horse on order and was looking for the videos on how to assemble it. Looks like @Red Beard videos are not available. Any know where I can find more info on this? Thanks!
Send me a message and I'll try and explain it to you. It's pretty simple after you get started on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back