• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Multi Step Aiders

iamcorey

Has anyone made multi step amsteel aiders to connect to stick steps? If yes, can you share the process? I'm thinking one continuous line with loops on the end that make up the aider with continuous loops making the steps ran through the line with loops. Am I overlooking something easier or safer?

Saddle hunting is dangerous. People have died doing it. Know that if you hunt from an elevated position, there is a higher percentage of you not coming home to your loved ones than if you stay on the ground. Take the words/ideas of dudes on the internet with a grain of salt; very few of them are experts. I am not an expert. DO NOT run out and climb 20' to attempt what you see below. Some of the concepts you see below may be physically demanding in nature. DO NOT attempt what you see without assessing your own physical abilities and limitations. Think about it. Test it. Proceed with caution.

Has anyone made multi step amsteel aiders to connect to stick steps? If yes, can you share the process? I'm thinking one continuous line with loops on the end that make up the aider with continuous loops making the steps ran through the line with loops. Am I overlooking something easier or safer?
This has worked perfectly for me so far. I can certainly elaborate or provide better pictures if you like.
2020-05-15 08.34.23.jpg

Last edited:
Sure thing! Originally made this one for my one stick, but then modified the attachment method for my Solo Scout. The whole thing packs up nice and neat.

2020-05-18 09.27.09.jpg2020-05-18 09.27.42.jpg2020-05-18 09.26.33.jpg2020-05-18 09.28.26.jpg2020-05-18 09.28.57.jpg

I put a brummel in either end of a section of 3/16. The end loops have a bit if webbing over them for abrasion resistance since I initially designed it to be removable from the stick. Then I made two continuous loops (although now, I'm convinced you could use a loop of TRC with barrel knots or something of the like). Then I wove the loops onto the main line at a spacing appropriate for my gait. Attachment method below is the same for each side of the continous loop.

2020-05-18 09.29.45.jpg2020-05-18 09.30.19.jpg2020-05-18 09.30.44.jpg2020-05-18 09.31.14.jpg2020-05-18 09.31.42.jpg

I like that thought of doing something similar to my scout when it gets here

Oh, and don't forget to add a piece of shock cord on the bottom step so it'll always be with you when you take it off and wrap it up ;)

2020-05-18 10.27.21.jpg

Could you do away with the webbing and just attach the shackles straight to the scout? Just curious about reasoning for webbing. Thinking of trying something similar with mine.
You most certainly could sir. I find the Scout's surface PERFECT for a platform, but too rough (read: sandpaper or nonskid texture) for direct contact with Amsteel. I opted for using a more durable material like webbing where the aider attaches to the rough surface of the platform. This allows me to replace the webbing as needed and not have to re-make an entire aider prematurely due to wear.

You most certainly could sir. I find the Scout's surface PERFECT for a platform, but too rough (read: sandpaper or nonskid texture) for direct contact with Amsteel. I opted for using a more durable material like webbing where the aider attaches to the rough surface of the platform. This allows me to replace the webbing as needed and not have to re-make an entire aider prematurely due to wear.

That makes sense! Thanks!

I made an amsteel multistep aider but like the black diamond or cmi aiders with alternating steps. I will have a video out in about a week displaying two different climbing methods and the aider will also be a diy video

THIS is where I saw using the webbing as amsteel protection on the loops! Great idea that I stole for my version!

This has worked perfectly for me so far. I can certainly elaborate or provide better pictures if you like.
View attachment 28305

I had to build this in a two step version. What a major weight savings! My spurs are around 5-6lbs. I have been wanting to Put an aider on my platform for a while but haven’t come up with a design I liked. Your method is awesome and keeps the steps wide open. The soft shackle idea is perfect so I can swap it on to other platforms.

9c296ff768e98fae44d3d3785cafaf97.jpg

Last edited:
I had to build this in a two step version. What a major weight savings! My spurs are around 5-6lbs. I have been wanting to Put an aider on my platform for a while but haven’t come up with a design I liked. Your method is awesome and keeps the steps wide open. The soft shackle idea is perfect so I can swap it on to other platforms.

9c296ff768e98fae44d3d3785cafaf97.jpg
So glad you like it buddy! Great job!

Stay tuned. I've got another version that is going to blow your mind. :)

So glad you like it buddy! Great job!

Stay tuned. I've got another version that is going to blow your mind. :)

Im looking forward to it!

I just got done with a little climbing session and this is looking VERY promising as my go to method this season. It is obviously slower than my spurs but I don’t have to worry about all the setup time (on, off, on, off). I’m just carrying a lousy 3lb platform now and that’s it!

I was worried the distance the aider was from the tree would be an issue but it wasn’t at all. I’m not sure this would be as easy with a longer platform than the klemz to get over the top. I will say that more guys need to try this stickless option!

Back