• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

An argument against separate weapon seasons

20 minutes!!! Sitting drinking beer? Most Youtubers attention span is 1.5 minutes. I will try. What is 20 divided by 1.5?

I’m teaching a class on teaching NEW adult learners. 5-7 seconds is the average attention span of adults on the military currently. Good luck @Nutterbuster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your previous deer killing video was golden. It was short enough that I wanted a little more.

20 minutes!!! Sitting drinking beer? Most Youtubers attention span is 1.5 minutes. I will try. What is 20 divided by 1.5?
A broadcasted football game can stretch for hours and folks can sit and stare at a tree all day fine. Don't watch it if it doesn't intrigue you.

I never finished Dances with Wolves or Great Expectations. I get it. No hard feelings. :)

A broadcasted football game can stretch for hours and folks can sit and stare at a tree all day fine. Don't watch it if it doesn't intrigue you.

I never finished Dances with Wolves or Great Expectations. I get it. No hard feelings. :)
I will watch it all. I promise.

You lost me at the Michelob Ultra bottle.
Edit: I watched it, good points but here's my opinion that probably doesn't really matter. I'm going to hunt whatever season that gives me the most time in the woods. If the archery deer season gets changed to blow darts, I guess I better brush up on my blow dart skills. I like the fact that there are options. It seems to me that if you enjoy rifle hunting enough, you'll eventually get into archery hunting due to the longer season.

Last edited:
I will watch it all. I promise.
I'll be honest, I don't even watch my own videos. ;)

For real, I never want folks to feel like they have to watch or they'll hurt my feelings. I got a lot of friends who have told me they'd rather slide down a hickory tree with no pants on than watch a nutterbuster video.

Preach! The why to this question in NC is due to the North Carolina Bowhunters Association and their lobbying for their own self interest over the benefit of hunters as a whole. The state has considered making changes to our seasons many times and they have fought them every single time.

And persistent swallowing of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm halfway through the video and I'm a crossbow hunter and a deplorable. Is a vertical crossbow more or less deplorable than a horizontal?

The only problem I see about a longer gun season is that around where I live there are guys who kill 75-80 deer a year in the short gun season we have and if you extend that then that could have an adverse affect on the population! Granted it is illegal in the first place but it still gets done! And as a matter of fact I have seen less deer this year then ever before and not saying it is because of that just stating we don't need to do something that could adversely affect something we all enjoy! And don't get me wrong not saying I am against gun hunting in any way, I own and enjoy shooting plenty of them, just saying we need to figure out a way to inforce bag limits before we can extend gun season, just my thoughts from what I see around my area!

If I had a rifle, today I think I would have shot an illegal buck by mistake. Thankfully, a tree jumped in the way and caught my arrow.

Interesting thoughts tree-rat provocateur. I would be curious to know how many people would bow hunt at all if they had any-weapon seasons available to them. Michigan has sort-of moved in this direction with the "traditional" muzzle-loading season. Since modern inline muzzy's are essentially rifles what's the point of having a separate season?

The only concern I would have (that isn't due to my own self-interest) is hunter safety and/or perceived safety. I hunt with a friend that is afraid to hunt public land during the 2 week firearm season. Which, given the annual number of accidental shootings is not an unreasonable position. Would e we lose any hunters who only bow hunt?

A short designated rifle season is a little crazy when you think about it. The first deer I harvested was when I was a child with a "high power" rifle. We're trusting our kids with high power rifles but they can't legally drive yet. The rifle season here runs 9 days and sometimes that's the only time these kids go out to hunt. If the season ran longer, they'd have more time in the woods and more time to learn woodsmanship and we might not have all the poaching, trespassing, accidents, citations, etc. that occur in these 9 days of rifle season.

Interesting thoughts tree-rat provocateur. I would be curious to know how many people would bow hunt at all if they had any-weapon seasons available to them. Michigan has sort-of moved in this direction with the "traditional" muzzle-loading season. Since modern inline muzzy's are essentially rifles what's the point of having a separate season?

The only concern I would have (that isn't due to my own self-interest) is hunter safety and/or perceived safety. I hunt with a friend that is afraid to hunt public land during the 2 week firearm season. Which, given the annual number of accidental shootings is not an unreasonable position. Would e we lose any hunters who only bow hunt?
I probably would have never picked up a bow if it didn’t give me a month and a half of extra hunting. Now, I could probably care less I’ll still bowhunt during rifle season. But I can see a lot of people not bothering trying to tune and setup a bow when they could just pick up their rifle

So if I understand your argument correctly it's one for all and all for one. Gun, Bow, Spear whatever and we will skip hand in hand together into the woods. How long do you think it will be before you set down your crossbow and pick up your rifle because it will be easier? I bow hunt because I enjoy a challenge, if I kill a deer with my bow then great. If I don't then I pick up a rifle and get some venison for the freezer but there is no feeling like I get from a bow kill. Bow hunting has been dying for a long time. We are our own worst enemy. Thanks for the help.

So if I understand your argument correctly it's one for all and all for one. Gun, Bow, Spear whatever and we will skip hand in hand together into the woods. How long do you think it will be before you set down your crossbow and pick up your rifle because it will be easier? I bow hunt because I enjoy a challenge, if I kill a deer with my bow then great. If I don't then I pick up a rifle and get some venison for the freezer but there is no feeling like I get from a bow kill. Bow hunting has been dying for a long time. We are our own worst enemy. Thanks for the help.
I'm honestly not sure if I'd quit. Maybe for a while, yes. Eventually, as the thrill wore off (if it wore off, smoking deer with a rifle still revs my engine) I may pick it back up.

It sounds like you'd keep your bow. No problem with that in my book. From the look of it a lot of guys would. Some wouldn't. Why is that so bad? What about the particular act of shooting a deer with a bow that you have to draw in the presence of game is so important that we have to preserve it?

Hunting in general is dying. That worries me way more than the idea that a relatively new and novel way to hunt is fading in popularity. Don't get me wrong, I wanna keep all the hunting. Not just deer, but squirrels and ducks and water Buffalo too.

But look at it this way. What if people felt and acted about saddle hunting the way folks act about bow hunting? Good or bad thing?

Back