• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

And the next step is...

Wolverinebuckman

Ok guys, so this is the xth time I've picked up this stick and string since I received it 3 years ago. But... since cracking the limb on my compound, I figured why not give this a real go.
Sooo, I bought some cheap 500 spine arrows, an arm guard, a three finger glove... and started flinging!

60" recurve, 40# on limbs
I've measured my draw length at 29"

Since first beginning, and every time I've picked it back up, I've been working on form. I think it's getting fairly consistent. Tonight at 12 yards I put 7 out of 11 in a 5" circle, with 4 stacked on top of each other center bull. The 4 outliers weren't too far off.
I've come to prefer 3 fingers under, middle finger anchored at corner of mouth, a slight cant, and aim down the arrow.
I believe the riser to be center cut, and I'm currently just shooting off the wood shelf.

So, what is the next step in the progression in tightening up? I've heard so much about tuning bows and arrows... where to next?

Well, that's pretty good results so far. I am assuming you want to hunt with this bow. A good rule of thumb for trad bows is 10 to 12 grains per pound of bow weight so in the case of a 40# bow, a good starting point would be an arrow in the 400 to 480 grain total weight range. If it were me, I would try to build a structurally sound arrow that will fly perfectly that weighs about 450 to 480 grains with as much FOC as possible and I would use a good cut on contact broadhead...personally I would use a single bevel.

Plan to keep your shots close and practice, practice, practice.

Well, that's pretty good results so far. I am assuming you want to hunt with this bow. A good rule of thumb for trad bows is 10 to 12 grains per pound of bow weight so in the case of a 40# bow, a good starting point would be an arrow in the 400 to 480 grain total weight range. If it were me, I would try to build a structurally sound arrow that will fly perfectly that weighs about 450 to 480 grains with as much FOC as possible and I would use a good cut on contact broadhead...personally I would use a single bevel.

Plan to keep your shots close and practice, practice, practice.
Yes, the goal will be to hunt with it.
Is the arrow you are talking about achievable with a 500 spine, or should I be looking at something different?

Glove. I used a tab last year, but I think I prefer wearing something
Right on. I know it is a gear related "what's next", but may I suggest an American Leather Shooting Glove? @JCLINE84 suggested I get one and I haven't put it down since making that purchase. Love the crisp feel of the release vs other gloves like a Damascus.

Right on. I know it is a gear related "what's next", but may I suggest an American Leather Shooting Glove? @JCLINE84 suggested I get one and I haven't put it down since making that purchase. Love the crisp feel of the release vs other gloves like a Damascus.
I looked them up, look slick!

I kind of figured with "what's next" we could just build an overall, ground up to killer thread on trad bow... Anything you want to throw in that you think will be beneficial in building a new shooter, by all means!

I looked them up, look slick!

I kind of figured with "what's next" we could just build an overall, ground up to killer thread on trad bow... Anything you want to throw in that you think will be beneficial in building a new shooter, by all means!
Are you using a clicker?

That will depend on several factors. What is your current weight?
You just went above my pay grade!:tonguewink:
One thing I do lack is a scale for arrows.
But, I went back to Amazon and looked at the arrows I bought. They list them at 13 grains per inch at 31 in.. so 403 grains plus a 100 grain Field point should have it at 503, but again that's without a scale. Could that be right?

And just a curiosity question, tab versus gloves. What do you prefer in cold weather, and do you shoot with a bare hand and only tab and glove, or have you incorporated it with some kind of warmth glove as well? Pull your hand out of a hand warmer at the last second?

Hunting as well. Ask @GCTerpfan if he thinks it affected the spike we plugged this year at 6yds.

Nope, it didn't but......that spike did scent trail us right to the tree so he wasn't the smartest deer in the bunch. :tearsofjoy:

A small piece of electrical tape on each side of the clicker blade will quiet them down significantly. I "feel" mine click more than I hear it.

You just went above my pay grade!:tonguewink:
One thing I do lack is a scale for arrows.
But, I went back to Amazon and looked at the arrows I bought. They list them at 13 grains per inch at 31 in.. so 403 grains plus a 100 grain Field point should have it at 503, but again that's without a scale. Could that be right?
That could be right. I guess the thing to do is pick a broadhead and see if it flies true. You could also get some heavier field points and add weight until the arrow flight goes off. Then you would sort of know where the threshold was.

I can’t stress enough how much the limb driven clicker helped me. My tip on that is don’t set it up at your anchor. Set it up ~1/8” past your anchor so that the only way it clicks is with proper back tension. Oh and throw away that metal chain it comes with and use d-loop string. The clicker will be completely silent when you shoot. Once I got in the groove with proper back tension my shooting really took off. Check out masters of the bare bow vol 3 too. That video also helped me tremendously.

Sorry that was a lot, I get excited.

Back