• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Angled Scout Platform question

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
For y’all that have the angled scout on the top step, or just the solo scout, is it possible to stand up on it and take all the weight off your tether to make adjustments, and such? Or is that not possible/ difficult due to the lean?

for the scout platform, yes, its no problem its just like standing on any double step. there is an actual step with teeth at the top if you look at a picture of it. then a separate angled section for the platform to lean with. the solo doesnt have this and is closer to the tree so im not sure. i would think even with that angle it shouldnt be too hard. red beard would be able to answer that for sure. thats his whole climbing/hunting system... just the solo scout with an aider and a tether/rappel rope. check out his videos. the scout for the stick is great though i love it.

for the scout platform, yes, its no problem its just like standing on any double step. there is an actual step with teeth at the top if you look at a picture of it. then a separate angled section for the platform to lean with. the solo doesnt have this and is closer to the tree so im not sure. i would think even with that angle it shouldnt be too hard. red beard would be able to answer that for sure. thats his whole climbing/hunting system... just the solo scout with an aider and a tether/rappel rope. check out his videos. the scout for the stick is great though i love it.
You can do it momentarily to make an adjustment. I personally can't "stand" on it for more than two seconds before I start to lose balance and fall backward though.

For y’all that have the angled scout on the top step, or just the solo scout, is it possible to stand up on it and take all the weight off your tether to make adjustments, and such? Or is that not possible/ difficult due to the lean?

No problem here. Size 12.5 boots.

You can do it momentarily to make an adjustment. I personally can't "stand" on it for more than two seconds before I start to lose balance and fall backward though.
This is what I’m worried about and the only thing holding me back from switching from a “flat platform”. Just wish they could make one with about a 3-4 inch flat section before it angled down. I think that would be the best of both worlds. Sort of like if the Scout and Artisan Outdoors platforms had a baby.

When I'm on the solo scout and need to make an adjustment I end up putting one hand on the backside of the tree and pull myself up with it to loosen my tether. Then I use the other hand to make the necessary adjustments. Being closer to the tree does help getting a hand to the backside.

By the way @Red Beard im digging the solo scout climbing method, but since I already have a mini shikar, thinking of adding the scout top step and calling it “mini- sticking”, lol. I’m sure it’s already been done, just what I’m calling it.

This is what I’m worried about and the only thing holding me back from switching from a “flat platform”. Just wish they could make one with about a 3-4 inch flat section before it angled down. I think that would be the best of both worlds. Sort of like if the Scout and Artisan Outdoors platforms had a baby.
Are you opposed to using your lineman's belt for a few seconds while you make adjustments? Just wondering why not being able to totally stand freely on an angled platform is a deal breaker for you...

Are you opposed to using your lineman's belt for a few seconds while you make adjustments? Just wondering why not being able to totally stand freely on an angled platform is a deal breaker for you...
This would be when I’m already on the tether so bringing lineman back out just to make an adjustment is a lot of excess movement. Sometimes I just like to stand up too, instead of leaning or sitting. Also for going #1, sometimes getting relaxed in a leaning position out over nothingness is a chore, lol.

This would be when I’m already on the tether so bringing lineman back out just to make an adjustment is a lot of excess movement. Sometimes I just like to stand up too, instead of leaning or sitting. Also for going #1, sometimes getting relaxed in a leaning position out over nothingness is a chore, lol.

It isn’t designed for standing long durations. If I was standing long term I would be held to the tree with the LB. I also do what boyne mentioned.

It isn’t designed for standing long durations. If I was standing long term I would be held to the tree with the LB. I also do what boyne mentioned.

Seems like your problem wasn’t what I initially thought which was foot room.

You can have both...

You can buy both and put them on the same stick. theres a few pics on here of this being done already. I actually bought some 3/8" aluminum flat bar-- 2 pieces of 4"x12" and some 1" square tubing to build the same kinda thing your talking about. ebay has it for pretty cheap. i totally agree that would be the ideal platform.

Has anyone installed the double step on the back side of the post between the stand offs?

Has anyone installed the double step on the back side of the post between the stand offs?
This may be the fix I’m looking for. Wonder if I can order just a double step from OOAL with a top stick Scout...That question may have to wait for stimulus round 2, lol.

Last edited:
Back