• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another DIY kestrel clone

tree_ghost

First off let me say that without the resource of this site and its members who have given me a ton of help both knowingly and unknowingly and for that I say “thank you gents!”

Ok so I decided to try and build a saddle after seeing several threads on the construction of one. There was only one problem...I’ve NEVER sewn a single stitch in my life and didn’t have a sewing machine. Well a few days of research on sewing machines and a couple dozen YouTube videos yielded me with a Singer model 15 clone. One quick trip to eBay got
Me the materials and then the craziness ensued! Well I learned a mountain about saddle construction through trial and error and now my wife can say she is married to a “thread injection technician” LOL. In all seriousness I have passed the point of no return and I am lovin’ it!!!! IMG_0024.jpg
9456d30a179c01bbc6a86b8931978669.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! You done a great job! So how’s the fit? Did you hit the mark or more tinkering?

the fit turned out to be almost perfect. I used @ckossuth dimensions since we are almost the same size. I am hooked on it for sure! I have a design in mind for a minimalist hybrid saddle but its still in the developmental stages im hoping to get some help from a carbon fiber 3d printing company...I have a feeling im going to be building a LOT of saddles :D

Welcome to the suck! Now you will be judging webbing and touching every piece of fabric you see, thinking "wonder if that would hold"!

Welcome to the D"IY"ark side of the forum lol. How awesome it is to see ao many guys making their own gear on the thread injector. Freakin awesome.

Looks great! Nice work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Man that looks awesome! Great work! Sewing is one of my very few talents, I may need to give this a try

What is machine do you have? I made a clone myself not long ago. My first one was a little stiff, but the second one I just made is sweet! Amazing how much you learn in one build. Im in Nashville, we should get together some time. My wife is also "amused" with my sewing antics.

What is machine do you have? I made a clone myself not long ago. My first one was a little stiff, but the second one I just made is sweet! Amazing how much you learn in one build. Im in Nashville, we should get together some time. My wife is also "amused" with my sewing antics.

Oh yeah man I’d love to hook up and talk “thread injectors!” I have a 1957 Atlas model 15 clone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yeah man I’d love to hook up and talk “thread injectors!” I have a 1957 Atlas model 15 clone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice! Im running a 50's brother model 15 clone. There is a pint night for the BHA Tennessee kick off on Saturday night. If you're free you should drop by. I will be there

Back