• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another one-sticking safety thread (sigh)

_Dario

SH Member
I am positive most of you are dead tired of talking about this but I have a question particularly aimed at the folks who have been around saddle hunting for awhile.

Actually a two-part question..

1/ Do you think people are going to one-stick more than ever this upcoming season? (Whether due to YouTube videos or some other influencing factor, etc?

2/ If so, do you think there will be a rise in injuries this year more than years past? Do you think it’s likely we’ll even hear about them if they happen?

Last edited:
O
I am positive most of you are dead tired of talking about this but I have a question particularly aimed at the folks who have been around saddle hunting for awhile.

1/ Do you think people are going to one-stick more than ever this upcoming season due to YouTube videos or some other influencing factor?

2/ If so, do you think you will see more reported injuries this year than years past?
Ok I’m staying quiet on this one.
I’ll just get my pop corn out and read along as the story unfolds! :cool:

1/ Do you think people are going to one-stick more than ever this upcoming season due to YouTube videos or some other influencing factor?

2/ If so, do you think you will see more reported injuries this year than years past?
1. Youtube videos for sure
2. I think there will likely be more injuries but I am not sure you'll hear about it any more than previous years.

Yeah when I read back question 2 to myself…it needs rewording. The spirit of the question is…will more people get hurt than in previous years..updating now

Honestly saddle hunting has really blown up in the past few years & I thought there were going to be waaay more safety mishaps than we’ve seen. Climbing has always been one of the most dangerous parts of hunting, so this is just another dangerous way to climb a tree. I understand that there’s potential for slack & there can be cases made for ranking risk in climbing methods. But is this the year that it hits the fan b/c of onesticking…….. that’s probably a lot of speculation.

Yeah when I read back question 2 to myself…it needs rewording. The spirit of the question is…will more people get hurt than in previous years..updating now
Your first question could be re worded as well. It seems as if you are saying there will definitely be more people one-sticking this year and are asking us whether that was due to youtube or some other reason.

Honestly saddle hunting has really blown up in the past few years & I thought there were going to be waaay more safety mishaps than we’ve seen. Climbing has always been one of the most dangerous parts of hunting, so this is just another dangerous way to climb a tree. I understand that there’s potential for slack & there can be cases made for ranking risk in climbing methods. But is this the year that it hits the fan b/c of onesticking…….. that’s probably a lot of speculation.
There are plenty of guys on the local hunting forum who have never worn a linemans belt before while climbing a tree. I have heard from some of those guys that tried saddlehunting started using a linemans belt while climbing because it was part of the system. It seems like they just associated a linemans belt as mandatory for climbing with a saddle. If that is the case that might have contributed to more people being safe than unsafe. Even some close friends of mine were climbing and only attaching to their fall harness at hunting height. They never even considered using a linemans belt. All of the aforementioned are still light years away from even considering using one stick to climb. I think a lot of guys will try it once and never try it again.

I am trying to gauge if we are standing on the precipice of a real dumpster fire of a year or if I am inflating the dangers/numbers

I mean @bowhunter15 made the first one stick climbing video I had ever seen like 6 years ago and this method is just now starting to get real momentum.

There are plenty of guys on the local hunting forum who have never worn a linemans belt before while climbing a tree. I have heard from some of those guys that tried saddlehunting started using a linemans belt while climbing because it was part of the system. It seems like they just associated a linemans belt as mandatory for climbing with a saddle. If that is the case that might have contributed to more people being safe than unsafe. Even some close friends of mine were climbing and only attaching to their fall harness at hunting height. They never even considered using a linemans belt. All of the aforementioned are still light years away from even considering using one stick to climb. I think a lot of guys will try it once and never try it again.
Yeah not to derail but that was me in both cases. Found saddle hunting in attempt to be less bulk/ weight packing in but found what I appreciated most was the built in safety to the “system” when used properly. I used to one arm the tree hanging stands in the dark, no LB. That was just plain irresponsible! I’ve been approaching things safer since. When you leave the ground it’s not safe!!!!!!!! But there’s plenty you can do to manage that risk until your comfortable. Also I tried onesticking & said no thanks & then messed with it again & having a dedicated onestick & more experience than previous attempts makes a lot of difference.

I am trying to gauge if we are standing on the precipice of a real dumpster fire of a year or if I am inflating the dangers/numbers
What would you do about it either way? I know that sounds awful, but really, what would you do if you did think there would be tons of injury specifically related to one-stick climbing? Each person needs to be responsible for their own safety. We as a community keep each other on this site in check but outside of that I don't know what you could do. People are going to do stupid stuff regardless.

I think it’s prudent to be concerned about guys doing this but not any more or less concerned than previous seasons. There’s been sketchy stuff before. I do get what your saying about an aspect going viral & gaining popularity. It would surprise me if it turned out to be the case.

Not saying I would do anything about it - purely curious to hear the opinions of those who have been around longer
I have only been here for coming up on 3 years so thats not very long but I have only heard about maybe 3 folks getting injured specifically related to saddlehunting and I think in most cases it was user error not gear failure. I have yet to hear anyone get hurt from one-sticking(except that video of the guy using the wrong type of cam cleat and it breaking under his load). It is a new fad so it has potential to raise injuries; however, I still think moderately few guys are one-sticking even on this site.

Id be curious to know how many people actual one stick. There is a lot of extrapolating you would have to do and you estimates would be pretty rough. How many people do you think one stick just one this site? Time for a 2021 poll.

Back