• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another platform option

Davis21

I’ve been exploring the platform option a lot, seems that’s there’s the market platforms, hand climbers, strap steps, wild edge steps, bolts, etc...saw some seat conversions. Seems like the most efficient would be the handclimber until limbs come into the picture. Diy seat platforms seem like good option for lock on platforms, but something about that much weight on metal that’s designed to be a seat raises some questions. I had the thought of buying a lock on stand and cutting the seat off( shortening the post) and cut the platform down to smaller size. And adding the standoff on the post connected to the platform, essentially making a platform similar to what’s on the market now. What are y’alls opinions on going this route?

I looked at doing a DIY platform but by the time I bought new parts and the time and frustration I wouldn't be far from the cost of a new platform.

It’s a route for sure. One of the easier, and more affordable, would be a primal step or WE step and plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think something like the loc on wind walker would work great. Maybe a ratchet strap for the bottom so it will take side pressure. It's the best of both worlds if you don't mind the weight and the bulk of it. It's the lightest tree stand I own. Just keep the seat on and if you needed to sit it would still be an option.

I have what is probably the best DIY platform out there, made from cutting down an old sand cast LW Assault. This summer on a whim I ordered a Predator and I prefer it hands down. It has no-hassle leveling, folds up completely flat, and despite being a touch shallower, my initial impression is that it has a little more usable space due to the profile. And its about a pound lighter.

Unless you already have a stand to convert, by the time you procure all the parts you are going to end up close to the price of a Predator anyway. My advice when it comes to platforms is to just get the Predator and don't look back. Of course now its getting a little close to make that decision based on Predator wait times.

Capture.PNG

I have what is probably the best DIY platform out there, made from cutting down an old sand cast LW Assault. This summer on a whim I ordered a Predator and I prefer it hands down. It has no-hassle leveling, folds up completely flat, and despite being a touch shallower, my initial impression is that it has a little more usable space due to the profile. And its about a pound lighter.

Unless you already have a stand to convert, by the time you procure all the parts you are going to end up close to the price of a Predator anyway. My advice when it comes to platforms is to just get the Predator and don't look back. Of course now its getting a little close to make that decision based on Predator wait times.

View attachment 15355
I thought there were no predator wait times just mantis saddles.

Back