• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another safety reminder!

dlist777

Got a nice 8 pointer on Friday. JX3 + Crossbow. 17 yard shot. Double lung went 75 yards.

I was field dressing him and it was real hot out and I was rushing. In the last part, where you're reaching inside to grab and cut the esophagus, I cut my left thumb bad. I clinched my hand automatically and couldn't straighten it. Not good. Tons of blood. Spent the night in the ER getting IV antibiotics, cleaned out, stitches, xray, tetanus booster and alot of waiting with others hoping they didnt have covid.

In any case, I have a hand surgeon appt tomorrow. Pretty sure I sliced the tendon. The ball and socket joint works fine, but the "knuckle" can clinch but not extend. I can still grab and hold things so I'm not too worried.

Total bonehead move. With everything....TAKE YOUR TIME. I have to keep re learning that.Screenshot_20200925-223339_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200929-084246_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. Hope it doesn't ruin the rest of your year. At least your year isn't a bust, nice deer.

Wow. Sorry about that. I always have to remind myself to slow down. I hope it heals quickly. Congrats on the nice buck.

Last edited:
Nice buck brother, sorry to hear about your hand,I hope it heals quickly, but........ Scars are like tattoos with better stories!!!

So to recap.... the deer was running off, you jumped out of the tree from 30’ up on his back, grabbed his gigantic chocolate rack and in the process of dispatching him humanely as any good sportsman would do, while you were wrestling him down and you were cutting his jugular, you accidentally got your hand in the heat of the struggle...

Congratulations on the nice buck. Sorry for the injury. Thanks for the reminder to take it slow. As I’m getting older it’s weird how often I tell myself to take it slow and steady. And your case is a good lesson. The successful day is almost over and whoops.

So to recap.... the deer was running off, you jumped out of the tree from 30’ up on his back, grabbed his gigantic chocolate rack and in the process of dispatching him humanely as any good sportsman would do, while you were wrestling him down and you were cutting his jugular, you accidentally got your hand in the heat of the struggle...

pretty sure he said the Buck pulled out his own knife as he was going for the jugular.

I used this last year to field dress and butcher my deer. I had a backup knife in case this didn't work but it worked so well field dressing that I used it for butchering the next day. It's more difficult to cut too deep with this.

I used this last year to field dress and butcher my deer. I had a backup knife in case this didn't work but it worked so well field dressing that I used it for butchering the next day. It's more difficult to cut too deep with this.

makes me scratch my head and wonder why we spend so much on other knives. We try to get our knives “razor sharp” instead of just using a razor. #practical.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't take much more than a scalpel, if that, to sever a tendon in the hand or worse your wrist.

Big thing is to not go into a cavity you can't really see on with the cutting edge down if you're other hand is grabbing your target organ. Rotate your wrist so the edge is facing away and up from your hands. Lower blade till it hits your target and then rotate back when your sure your hand isn't under the knife.

Everyone needs to keep themselves safe and reminders help others. Sorry for your injury and Nice Buck! Edges pointed away from anything with Your skin on it (constantly be thinking this).

just a heads up I have torn a tendon and had it surgically fixed. the recovery was 2-3 months and it was on my dominant hand. hopefully it will be quicker for you though.

I use the roofing shingle hook blades for skinning hogs. It helps keep my knife sharp to do the real work

Sorry about the injury. Easy to do though. Working at an awkward angle, everything is wet and slippery, the adrenalin is still pumping and often it's late and you are hurrying to get done. After cutting myself nearly every time I gut a dear (thankfully never seriously), I started wearing light-weight, mechanics-wear style gloves. I don't lose much in dexterity and it prevents a lot of nicks and cuts.

And congrats on a very nice buck.

Back