• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any fermenters here?

SNIPERBBB

Got some Skeeter Pee and a white cranberry/strawberry wine going right now. Usually take a few bottles to our trapping conventions and samples from some other makers.

Anyone else brewing?

Does taco bell for lunch count?....hehehe

I've made a handful of batches of mead but that's like caveman stupid and reallllllly long wait. But it's part of my heritage so I learned and got drunk...apricot,raisin, orange peel combo was the best tasting.

Man, I haven't thought about skeeter pee in a hot minute...

Yeah, I used to make beer and Welch's Wine. Ended up with one batch at like 18% abv using champagne yeast. And it went down like Welch's grape juice. Turrble stuff

I make an occasional brew. Use to be super into it but lost my taste for stouts and IPAs and stick to brewing Belgians.

Did it a few times. I found it fun, but anything I did beer wise was with the prepackaged kits and it kind of felt like making a cake from a mix. Technically, I was brewing, but I didn't feel like I was adding anything special.

If I had some fruit trees or something, I'd probably give it another go. My grandfather made some peach wine I really liked once.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Put me in the have done it, haven't in a while. I'll admit I quit brewing beer because, although we were drinking PLENTY of beer, we just didn't drink mine much. Wine is fun but it's the same, even the good/better stuff hangs around forever.

I'm a Yankee, what's skeeter pee?

Put me in the have done it, haven't in a while. I'll admit I quit brewing beer because, although we were drinking PLENTY of beer, we just didn't drink mine much. Wine is fun but it's the same, even the good/better stuff hangs around forever.

I'm a Yankee, what's skeeter pee?
Pretty simple really, lemon wine. Base is lemon juice. Dont have to age this stuff at all. Once its done fermenting you can start drinking yet. Its pretty good stuff... I usually end up making it at 12-14% ABV. Wine snobs wouldn't care for it but they're snobs.

Hmmm. Might need to try that. Sparkolloid adds carbonation I'm guessing? That one is new to me, didn't look it up yet. Sounds good!
Sparkaloid is basically clay that you add to the wine to clear it of floating solids. You can let the wine clear on its own but if you're impatient, go with the sparkaloid. Carbonation is achieved by causing the wine to ferment again and bottling it without stopping the fermentation process. Need to use champagne bottles and corks if you do this or the bottles will explain.

Ive kinda got a carbonated wine in the fridge as i ended up with a gallon of fermenting juice after the last step before racking it off the SP and other wine and hated to waste it so im drinking.

I’ve been a fermenter for more than 10 years. Mostly beer and cider. Own a small company that I need more time and money to start. But suffice it to say it is a cider company with a pretty cool mission.

I have been brewing on and off for about 15 years. Won a couple awards, it’s usually just finding the time. I’ve toyed with doing mead less commitment than a brew day. But ultimately I enjoy it. It’s a lot like traditional archery takes practice to get better, or to take good brew to great brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brewed over 100 beers while I was brewing. I have celiacs now and can't drink the stuff now. I really enjoyed the process. I was brewing my own recipes after the first year. My favorites were Belgian and German beers. Made both lagers and ales.

I just mentioned to my wife that I should look into making ciders. I made 1 cider and a hard lemonade once. Both were good.

Right now I'm just drinking bourbons and whiskeys.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

It's been a minute since I've brewed up some beer but the wife and I keep saying we're going to do it, as soon as it cools off, one of these years...

Got some Skeeter Pee and a white cranberry/strawberry wine going right now. Usually take a few bottles to our trapping conventions and samples from some other makers.

Anyone else brewing?
We're making skeeter pee right now too from a peach wine must. There's always something brewing at our house year round.

Got a 55 gallon drum of bloody butcher and 6 row winter barley bubbling away right now. Gonna be a good un.

Back