• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

any ideas on way to attach this OWB holster to backpack waist belt?

raisins

SH Member
I'd like to buy this

and attach to my backpack's padded waist belt.

There's not many holsters that can attach to a thick padded waist belt.

My idea is to remove the clips that go on a regular belt and then use the holes that go up and down each side as attachment points for a DIY attachment system. It would be even better if it could be taken off and on quickly but that isn't required. Mostly, I want it to be strong, to stay put, and not create a hot spot between my hip and the waist belt.

My main idea so far is to use thin dyneema cord (zing it or lash it) to put loops at the 4 holes at the 4 corners (top right,etc). Then though these loops I'd thread a narrow webbing on each side that would go over the top of the holster and behind the waist belt (up against my body). I could put triglide clip attachments on the 2 webbing loops that ride on top of the holster. This would allow tension adjustment but also I could unclip and remove.

Thoughts?

How tall is your waist belt? Have you looked into bladetech and some of their attachment methods?
I believe it’s 5” and should fit a variety of belts.

How tall is your waist belt? Have you looked into bladetech and some of their attachment methods?

4.25 inches top to bottom and 3/8" thick

i'll check them out, thanks

PS

i looked here

and it seems like everything that would work would put hard plastic against my hip.....i tighten the belt down, so i'd be afraid it would dig into me

did i miss what you were thinking of?

No you didn’t. Didn’t think about that to be honest. Nwretention.com does have a holster called the pack which is supposed to be designed to be carried on waist pack belts.

If you're willing to mod the waistbelt, just buy a short section of 2" webbing and sew one end on the outside of waistbelt near the pack. Use triglides to attach the other end to the adjustable (I assume) buckle portion of the waistbelt and then you can add/remove the holster as needed.

personally, I'd suggest something with more active retention. I once had a carry gun fall out of my non retention holster while hunting. Thankfully I backtracked to where I had climbed through a tree fall and it was laying right there. Ruined my hunt and potentially could have ruined a lot more.

I ended up buying this on amazon since it has free returns. I honestly didn't think I would like it, but I do. It is very secure on my pack belt and feels great. The only concession I had to make was to move my rangefinder to my left side because the holster would bump it.

personally, I'd suggest something with more active retention. I once had a carry gun fall out of my non retention holster while hunting. Thankfully I backtracked to where I had climbed through a tree fall and it was laying right there. Ruined my hunt and potentially could have ruined a lot more.

I ended up buying this on amazon since it has free returns. I honestly didn't think I would like it, but I do. It is very secure on my pack belt and feels great. The only concession I had to make was to move my rangefinder to my left side because the holster would bump it.

I almost forgot I have one of these! You can buy from EWO also.

I didn't like the way the retention got out of the way....seemed too slow for me (but I didn't practice with it)...having to flip 2 small webbing tabs in opposite directions.

I also almost lost a gun. I had a kydex chest holster on too light of retention and fell on my butt hard. The gun popped right out and fell into the leaves. I found it a few hours later.

You can buy from EWO also.

I didn't like the way the retention got out of the way....seemed too slow for me (but I didn't practice with it)...having to flip 2 small webbing tabs in opposite directions.

yeah I would have ordered from EWO but for the free returns since I didn't think I would like it. trust me, EWO gets a lot of my money.

Regarding the retention, mine must be different. I just pop the thumb break snap and pull the gun out. but yes you are right, practice makes perfect.

yeah I would have ordered from EWO but for the free returns since I didn't think I would like it. trust me, EWO gets a lot of my money.

Regarding the retention, mine must be different. I just pop the thumb break snap and pull the gun out. but yes you are right, practice makes perfect.

Mine has a snap and then that is covered over by another velcro tab.

hmmm.... on mine the velcro piece you mention is on the other side of the snap. I just folded it down and velcro'd it to the side and it does nothing. not sure if I switched it or it came like that. But you can probably mirror mine if you are so inclined.

Attachments

• tempImage9g6JXv.png
    tempImage9g6JXv.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
If you're willing to poke holes in your waist belt, you could bolt a Safariland QLS receiver to it. If you're not willing to poke holes in your belt (which is probably wise) you might make a large belt loop out of scrap leather and bolt your holster to it.

Really, though, there are probably better options for carrying a pistol while wearing a pack. If you take your pack off for whatever reason - say to 'answer nature's call' - you're effectively unarmed, and Murphy's Law suggests that calamity will befall you at that moment, not when you're ready for it. I wound up suspending a holster from my AGC bino pack and really like that solution, except that I don't like to wear my bino pack while 1-sticking. I also have a fanny pack I can carry a light-bearing mid-size service pistol in, that would be compatible with both saddles and rucksacks, and won't be in the way while climbing.

No you didn’t. Didn’t think about that to be honest. Nwretention.com does have a holster called the pack which is supposed to be designed to be carried on waist pack belts.
They also sell the 3" and 5" molle loops that they use on the holster separate if you have a holster that you like and just need the big straps for hooking to the waist belt

Really, though, there are probably better options for carrying a pistol while wearing a pack. If you take your pack off for whatever reason - say to 'answer nature's call' - you're effectively unarmed, and Murphy's Law suggests that calamity will befall you at that moment, not when you're ready for it. I wound up suspending a holster from my AGC bino pack and really like that solution, except that I don't like to wear my bino pack while 1-sticking. I also have a fanny pack I can carry a light-bearing mid-size service pistol in, that would be compatible with both saddles and rucksacks, and won't be in the way while climbing.
If you've ever listened to the meat eater podcast's afrognack bear attack episode this very thing was pointed out, the group of 8(?) seasoned outdoorsmen who all had bear spray or sidearms all took their packs off and sat down to eat lunch, and when the bear charged into the middle of them they all were left empty handed

If you've ever listened to the meat eater podcast's afrognack bear attack episode this very thing was pointed out, the group of 8(?) seasoned outdoorsmen who all had bear spray or sidearms all took their packs off and sat down to eat lunch, and when the bear charged into the middle of them they all were left empty handed
I listened to another bear attack episode recently, it was a dude and his buddy. Buddy with the 10mm got mauled before he could clear leather, dude had a 300WM, which sounds great until he realized he had a bikini scope cover on it, and had left it zoomed to max magnification... was nevertheless able to get one round into the griz. IIRC, buddy punched the bear in the mouth with his gun hand during the attack and had his thumb basically eaten off - it was later reattached - but had to draw and fire with his off-side hand. Good reminder for ambidextrous access to lifesaving equipment, to practice with both hands, and to have a tourniquet handy. So to bring it full circle to OP, even if the waist belt isn't the best place for a holster, it's probably an excellent place for a tourniquet or trauma kit.

Marsupial Gear makes holsters that attach to both a pack waist belt or a chest pack using Molle loops.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered this as an option to try. I have their rangefinder pouch and am a fan of their quality.

If you're willing to poke holes in your waist belt, you could bolt a Safariland QLS receiver to it. If you're not willing to poke holes in your belt (which is probably wise) you might make a large belt loop out of scrap leather and bolt your holster to it.

I usually carry a S&W 45 in a kydex chest holster. The chest holster I have that fits this gun (S and W has too many models and variants) isn't the greatest because most holster companies don't mold for the model I have. That's one reason I was wanting to go to a smaller gun and get the holster out of the way. You really need to take into account aftermarket support before buying a sidearm. I didn't.

I listened to another bear attack episode recently, it was a dude and his buddy. Buddy with the 10mm got mauled before he could clear leather, dude had a 300WM, which sounds great until he realized he had a bikini scope cover on it, and had left it zoomed to max magnification... was nevertheless able to get one round into the griz. IIRC, buddy punched the bear in the mouth with his gun hand during the attack and had his thumb basically eaten off - it was later reattached - but had to draw and fire with his off-side hand. Good reminder for ambidextrous access to lifesaving equipment, to practice with both hands, and to have a tourniquet handy. So to bring it full circle to OP, even if the waist belt isn't the best place for a holster, it's probably an excellent place for a tourniquet or trauma kit.

I won't be in grizzly country with this, but some of the lessons hold true.

This will be mostly for meth heads/crazy fellow hunters and just maybe a female black bear if I get near her cubs. The black bear around here are numerous but small and attacks are almost non-existent.

That's why I'm okay with a 9 mm with +p hard casts. If 8 rounds of that and a 4.5 inch blade knife won't do it, then I guess it was my time.....

If I'm ever in grizzly country, I'll probably have a 10 mm and either a lever action or shotgun with slugs.

Back