• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone else using a schwabisch hitch on their tether?

I'm thinking of using a schwabisch hitch instead of my Ropeman. Thoughts?

I tried a schwabish but it bound pretty tightly and was tough to work one handed. I since changed to a distel hitch and that seems to be the way to go. Also am using a distel hitch with a tender on my lineman's belt, rather than a ropeman.

I am using the distel hitch in conjunction with the ropeman the last couple of climbs using the ropeman. I plan on using the tethrd ropes with a distel and the shizzl ropeslider in lieu of the pulley or ropeman.

Just wanted to let everyone know:
The prusik cord that comes with tethrd ropes is more than long enough to tie into a schwabisch hitch, distel hitch, or even a valdotain tresse. The top is a schwabisch, that's my lineman's belt. The bottom is a valdotain, that's my tether.View attachment 6171

What knots did you use to attach to the carabiners?

Fisherman's knot. I climbed trees with a split tail like this for five years before buying my first double eye spliced split tail. It works very well. I'll shorten the cords once I set up my tending devices.

I switched last year from the ropeman to the schwabish. I will continue with it. I like it a lot.
I use Samson ultra-tech cord 3/8 with eye splices for my tether line, and Armor- Prus 8mm 24" sewn eye and eye for the schwabish line.

I tried a schwabish but it bound pretty tightly and was tough to work one handed. I since changed to a distel hitch and that seems to be the way to go. Also am using a distel hitch with a tender on my lineman's belt, rather than a ropeman.
out tending it

I am also. I love it and do not plan to switch on my lineman's belt. But I am using a ropeman on my tether as I am not sure about tending the tether.

I'm a noob to saddle hunting but do like schwabisch I think it's easier to tie
I switched last year from the ropeman to the schwabish. I will continue with it. I like it a lot.
I use Samson ultra-tech cord 3/8 with eye splices for my tether line, and Armor- Prus 8mm 24" sewn eye and eye for the schwabish line.
I prefer the schwabish myself.
Most people that like the schwabisch also like the distel. It's very similar, just as easy to tie, and can be a little easier to adjust after heavy loading. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. Just thought I would mention this to you guys that are fans of the schwabisch, as am I. Also, if you don't already run one, look into getting a tending device of some sort. It allows completely one-handed adjustment in either direction.

Most people that like the schwabisch also like the distel. It's very similar, just as easy to tie, and can be a little easier to adjust after heavy loading. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. Just thought I would mention this to you guys that are fans of the schwabisch, as am I. Also, if you don't already run one, look into getting a tending device of some sort. It allows completely one-handed adjustment in either direction.
what is this "tending device" you speak of?

On an arborist rig, it's a small pulley attached just below your friction hitch. When you want to advance the hitch up the line, you pull the standing end ( tail) of your climbing line or LB up or out to the side and the pulley pushes the hitch along. On a saddle hunting rig, you probably want to use one of these. Less metal-on-metal noise.prusik detail 500-500x500.jpg

Following with interest...
Soo is it similar to how the climbing paws on an aero hunter evo pushes the Blake's hit h along? I find it binds once on a while but think its pretty friggin slick.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Following with interest...
Soo is it similar to how the climbing paws on an aero hunter evo pushes the Blake's hit h along? I find it binds once on a while but think its pretty friggin slick.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Yeah, that photo is actually an aero hunter photo. A pulley tender does work much better, but you can imagine the potential for noise.

This is my diy tender, using paracord and a little plastic ring I pulled off of an old pack I had. It's shown with a prusik here, but I've since changed that to a distel hitch on my lineman's belt and it works great- easy one-handed operation.
index.php

This is my diy tender, using paracord and a little plastic ring I pulled off of an old pack I had. It's shown with a prusik here, but I've since changed that to a distel hitch on my lineman's belt and it works great- easy one-handed operation.
index.php
Awesome! I'm going to be using something similar on my setup.

Back